Pyzel Ghost?

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019
Rad! Pretty much the same feelings.
Did you settle on fins that you liked best?
I like an old Timmy Patterson (TP1) fiberglass futures set on it. I've had these for awhile and use them on all my step ups/semiguns. For me they are a little smaller template and I like the stiffness and control of fiberglass in bigger surf. Probably getting time to replace them though.

Any recos out there for a similar futures set in one of the new techs?

Reactions: ZeeHawk

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
I like an old Timmy Patterson (TP1) fiberglass futures set on it. I've had these for awhile and use them on all my step ups/semiguns. For me they are a little smaller template and I like the stiffness and control of fiberglass in bigger surf. Probably getting time to replace them though.

Any recos out there for a similar futures set in one of the new techs?
I like my Pyzel mediums. My Ghost is FCS2, so cannot fully recommend them for it, but the felt very good in my Chilli Faded in Indo (similar type board), and I now use them on my 7'6 Spartan. They're full glass/carbon, and super stiff.

Reactions: ZeeHawk and Lohena

isurfcardiff

OTF status
May 8, 2014
I was browsing XTR stock boards page. if I had the coin, I'd pull the trigger and see what all the Ghost fuss is about.
As a PSA, just gonna leave this here...
I beat you to this one, I picked it up Friday. Rode it today. It goes good!

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
I’ve been finding that fins with a bit more rake go well In my Pyzels. I’ve been using the MFs and the JWs. I’ve also used the Pyzel fins which I think feel pretty good but lack a bit of drive and hold. I tried a set of FTs in the ghost on that day and couldn’t believe how it rode which was surprising bc I feel like those fins didn’t really click in my shadow or radius. I could have used a bit more hold though on that day as I did spin out on a bottom turn into / out of the back of a wave. Gonna try the MFs in the ghost now and the FTs in the shadow and radius.

May 10, 2018
So after 3 months I finally took my Ghost out for its first surf. I didn't want to take it out unless it was big enough. Took it out to Nusa Dua in Bali 4-6 foot (over head to close to double overhead) rights. Happy so far. Did everything others have said - paddles well, handles steep drops, holds its line well and rides a little longer than it is, which is what I wanted because I hate long boards. Oh and rode the Kolohe's in Large which felt good.

May 10, 2018
I'm confused.
Probably didn't word that clearly. What I meant is I don't like the extra length of even slight step ups and the Ghost seems to have all the advantages of a board that might be a 6'2 or 6'3 (such as paddle power, hold, drive, etc but without the extra nose length) but I can ride it in a 6'0 which is pretty much my normal hpsb length.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aruka

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019
Anybody riding a Ghost pro as a step up to their ghost? I'm intrigued. The 6'10 pro has the same dims as my 6'4, adding just over 2L. Sounds awesome, though not sure if this is what they're meant for, or for lighter "pro" surfers to rip on. Wondering how this would compare to typical semi-gun type boards.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Anybody riding a Ghost pro as a step up to their ghost? I'm intrigued. The 6'10 pro has the same dims as my 6'4, adding just over 2L. Sounds awesome, though not sure if this is what they're meant for, or for lighter "pro" surfers to rip on. Wondering how this would compare to typical semi-gun type boards.
I think, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, that Pyzel commented in this thread or another thread that the Ghost Pro is just a slimmer set of stock dimensions for the Ghost. A 6-10 would definitely extend your range upward range as far as having more paddle ability and more rail line.

Reactions: ZeeHawk and noise