Pyzalien vs Phantom?

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Another year, another nail in the coffin of my trusty and beloved Pyzalien. Surely it can't keep going, so some planning is in order. Do I get another one, or try the Phantom?

The Pyzalien (old, flat-deck model) has a massive range, feels lively, and doesn't feel strange coming down from the Ghost. The Phantom is derived from the Ghost, which would make it very familiar, but is that necessarily better? Would be great to hear from someone who's tried both - or even from Jon himself.

I'd be ordering something around 6'1 x 19 3/4 x 2 1/2 (give or take dep on model)

- Which board glides into waves easier? (Guessing Phantom with its Ghost rocker)
- Which has the bigger range? (Guessing Pyzalien)
- Which feels more lively and 'fun'?

Any info, wild guesses, or third hand knowledge greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Are you talking about re-ordering the standard Pyzalien or Pyzalien 2?
Pyzalien 1. The old one with the flat deck. I think :)

Unless someone can convince me that the 2.0 is vastly superior.

Reactions: jkb

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
I've ridden both in Bali and Oregon. Phantom is a board that slots into your quiver somewhere, it's not going to work in crappy waves, but it's also got a lower ceiling than a hpsb. Pyzalien is like a 90% board, works in anything, and if you've got the arms and balls can handle the drop on something solid like Ulus.

All that being said, I like both boards. I think you should try something new and get a Phantom if you surf decent waves.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
I kinda want to order a Pyzalien in XTR. They don't have the option of choosing the Pyzalien 2 on their website. If my normal shortboard thickness is 2 7/16 or 2 1/2, should it be 2 3/8 on a flat deck Pyzalien?

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
I kinda want to order a Pyzalien in XTR. They don't have the option of choosing the Pyzalien 2 on their website. If my normal shortboard thickness is 2 7/16 or 2 1/2, should it be 2 3/8 on a flat deck Pyzalien?
That sounds about right to me.

Reactions: tedshred5

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Another question for Jon, should you read this: Any idea when the Pyz 2 will be available in Aus/NZ?