Pyzalien Love?

DroppingOnYou

Nep status
Feb 16, 2016
Pancakes15 said:
175 lbs. 6 1/2 ft tall. Age 30.

Just ordered:

6'0" x 19 1/2 x 2 3/8. 31.3 Liters. Swallow tail.

The guy from Pyzel said I'd be doing aerials after a couple days on this board.
Basically exactly what I got. Just bumped the width to 19.63 as I've got 5lbs on you and it's my step down.

DroppingOnYou

Nep status
Feb 16, 2016
So first session report. I've had the FW version (squash) in similar dims and I didn't like it as it was 6'2 and felt boaty. This does not feel boaty. There is a lot of foam for sure and you can feel it paddling around. It paddles like a beast. Just feels comfortable. Conditions were mid tide going high and knee to head high waves. Pretty shifty and average though. I'd give it two out of five condition wise - very average. Board paddles into waves very easily. Late drops were surprisingly effortless as the waves were very pitchy at times. I love flat deck designs because they feel so insanely stable dropping late or screwing up a turn. Even though it paddles crazy well and you can feel the foam in that sense, once you are up it feels very HP (but still easy). Turns on a dime and generates a lot of speed. I rode it as a thruster with large PC carbon performers (which I hadn't tried before but now love) and although I have the trailers to match I can't imagine riding it as a quad much because it goes so well as a thruster. Anyways I had one of my best waves ever on my last wave. The board just flew down the line past some sections I didn't think I was going to make, pulled into a big bottom turn, banged out two very solid and vertical snaps, and then ended it with a big reo on the closeout. Lip threw me and air dropped the landing perfectly. I was so stoked. I've never felt so comfortable on a board first time out. Glass job is insane and it's exactly what I wanted. If any of you have questions feel free to ask.

Boar: 6'0 x 19.63 x 2.38 31.7L

Me: 6'0 185lbs have consumed quite a few litres.

Tanner

Phil Edwards status
Jul 30, 2003
Point Loma
Visit site
Yeah Dropping On - thanks for posting the pics and the review - glad you're stoked after the first session!

We've got 3 Pyzaliens going through for ERBB'ers, right now............ I'll be sure to post pics, as they get finished.

:cheers:

DroppingOnYou

Nep status
Feb 16, 2016
Haha thanks boys. Not my lawn that's out the back of my work. Anyways I'm really stocked. I thought I'd add that Stu Dogs comments on the tail are spot on. The squash is really nice and it's super loose, I'd almost be tempted to get a sort of groveller squash thruster version made, but the swallow adds so much connection to the wave. I blew the tail a couple of times just to see if it would go and it still does no problem but it just sits down in the wave and feels butter smooth. Great board. Here's some John John riding the Pyzalien for us to froth on.

[vimeo]https://vimeo.com/172820064[/vimeo]

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
In my world, that's a great lawn! Oh, and the board looks sharp, too.

Good to hear that you're happy, DroppinOn.

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
DroppingOn said:
Thanks to you and Stu Dog for your help!
happy to pass on the stock :wave2:

now we just need some damn swell so I can ride mine again.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
stu dog said:
DroppingOn said:
Thanks to you and Stu Dog for your help!
happy to pass on the stock :wave2:

now we just need some damn swell so I can ride mine again.
What do you mean!? Huntington looked heaving :p

Jokes aside, for all its versatility, my Pyzalien is at its brilliant best in lined up, crumbly chest high point surf. By no means a full on groveler, but it makes me surf beyond my ability in those conditions.

DroppingOnYou

Nep status
Feb 16, 2016
Yeah I can't wait to get it to a point. Couldn't believe the speed. My SS2 definitely goes earlier.. not a groveller. Waist high with push and it's happy though. Knee high is tough though and my SS2 will eat that up. Will probably get another puddle jumper in a smaller size. Judging from how the Alien did on the head high sets I think it will go to 1.5x no problem.

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
DroppingOn said:
Yeah I can't wait to get it to a point. Couldn't believe the speed. My SS2 definitely goes earlier.. not a groveller. Waist high with push and it's happy though. Knee high is tough though and my SS2 will eat that up. Will probably get another puddle jumper in a smaller size. Judging from how the Alien did on the head high sets I think it will go to 1.5x no problem.
1.5x I'd say is the max. the 2x range it's more about paddling speed limiting the board rather than riding the wave. that said last winter (not this El Nino) had such a perfect Point wave drop on an easy 10' face wave. glided in super smooth and then got to the bottom turn and the thing just grew coming around the point. at the bottom turn I said outloud "HOLD" and my little 6'2" did like a champ. :D

YakAk

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 22, 2010
Thanks for the report. Looking forward to finally getting my Pyzalien!