Pyzalien Love?

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Are your negative thoughts that important - informative on a "Design Forum " ?

It was a good day all over this Island .

With Jon's growth he has added this person to his team in board building .

Mentions him in his Insta posts .

Pink board related

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
Greg Griffin said:
Are your negative thoughts that important - informative on a "Design Forum " ?
just trying to help people out with the questions about a specific board and a specific shaper. anything besides that shouldn't be on this thread. create a new one if have too

Pyzelsurfboards

OTF status
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Hi--- just stoked to hear a lot of positive feedback regarding the Pyzalien here. I personally ride this board as my everyday board here in Hawaii and anywhere I travel to surf because of the versatility it has and because I just love how it works for me. I'm 5-9 and 165 pounds and my dims ar 5-8 x 18.75 x 2.13 which comes in around 25.7 liters. I think this would be a little under-volumed for most people this size, but I have freakishly long arms so I paddle pretty well and like the feel of a thinner board. I usually tell people to order the Pyzalien 1/8'' THINNER than their regular shortboards because of the flat deck/fuller rail it has. My experience is that the swallow tail does add versatility by holding better in larger waves, while not taking anything away, performance-wise, in smaller surf. Thanks for the feedback and enjoy the ride-- JP

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Thanks Jon.

A question for you: Being so familiar with the board, where do you see the upper limit for the Pyzalien?

And damn, that IS under-volumed in my book :) But, then, I'm usually in a 3/2 or 4/3 wettie, paddling 1/2 mile out to my local, and battling chop and lots of water moving. Oh, and I'm an old kook. 6'1 swallow should work well for my 6'1 frame as an allrounder.

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
Maz said:
A question for you: Being so familiar with the board, where do you see the upper limit for the Pyzalien?
would like Jon to add his opinion. but as far as my experience particularly this El Nino winter surfing 2 months straight at Ventura point breaks I only used my 6'3" PyzAlien. Perfect for the days it was chest to near OH (say 8' face at me being 6'2"). That top end of OH I was really pushing the board hard on is upper limit. more so on paddling into the wave. just the standard not enough length to match the wave speed coming in. Should have been out on a longer board, like my 6'6" ShortCut. But next winter I'm thinking I'll order a 6'6" PyzAlien for OH days.

DroppingOnYou

Nep status
Feb 16, 2016
Would still love to hear how big Jon rides his up to. Thinking a foot or two overhead for me was the upper end of my FW tech version. Still seriously considering a 6' x 19 3/4 x 2 7/16 32.5L PU squash as my daily driver but worried that the thickness might be a bit much as I like 2.5 usually. Also thinking this may be a bit too much volume for my 185lbs. Riding 31.5 for my daily driver at the moment and it's very easy for me to paddle.

DroppingOnYou

Nep status
Feb 16, 2016
Greg Griffin said:
"I like 2.5 usually. Also thinking this may be a bit too much volume for my 185lbs. "

Open your mind and experience more , please .

Hmm okay. This is based on experience. I have had boards that are both more and less volume and tend to prefer slightly less (31.5 is what I ride now and I enjoy it). I have also bought many boards of different thicknesses and like the feel of 2.5 best. Now the Pyzalien has a very flat deck - I had one. The thickness is carried all the way to the rails so 2 7/16 is going to feel about 1/8 of an inch thicker than it is. Is that closed minded or inexperienced logic? Don't think so. Hoping those that have had the poly versions can help out with opinions. The 6'0 stock Slab 2.0 might fit the bill as well for a thigh to head high DD.

Pyzelsurfboards

OTF status
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
HI -- It is not a groveler, simply a good all around, stubbier board. We call it a Daily Driver because it is a great board to ride in a wide variety of waves and conditions.
Also a wide tail is not the only way to judge how a board is going to work in shitty waves (although it can be a factor).

Pyzelsurfboards

OTF status
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
nexttozen said:
since this board is marketed as a groveler, why is the tail so narrow at the 12" mark. looks to be 15" on a 6'1 x 19.75. a sub scorcher 2 for example is 15-5/8 on a 6'0.
HI -- It is not a groveler, simply a good all around, stubbier board. We call it a Daily Driver because it is a great board to ride in a wide variety of waves and conditions.
Also a wide tail is not the only way to judge how a board is going to work in shitty waves (although it can be a factor).

Pyzelsurfboards

OTF status
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
sakana_kid said:
Stu Dog and Tanner- how would you size it in relation to your height? If I went custom I'd keep it short and wide. Definitely not in line with the FW dimensions. i'm 5'8" and fluctuate between 165-175.
I'm 5-9 and weigh 165 and I ride a 5-8 x 18.63 x 2.13 swallow tail, but I love smaller feeling boards. The main rule of thumb with this board is to go 1/8'' UNDER your normal shortboard thickness. It has a flat deck and fuller rail (mostly full feeling under the ball of your hand/palm, and tapering off from there so it doesn't ride fat)
I would go at or around your height, and then figure out what sort of width you like, then match thickness to come up with the volume you want/need

Pyzelsurfboards

OTF status
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Maz said:
Stu Dog and Tanner (or anyone else who wants to chime in):

Does the swallow tail add a bit of upper range to the Pyzalien? Mine is a 6'0 x 19 3/4 x 2 1/2, and when it dies I'm looking at getting a stock 6'1 x 19 3/4 x 2 3/8. They're similar volume, and I'm just hoping that the slightly longer, thinner and swallow tailed 6'1 will hold in slightly bigger waves. Happy to sacrifice a bit of low end.

This board has one of the best glass jobs I've ever seen - thank you Pyzel Aus. However, I managed to kook the take off on a slabby, shallow left reef, leaving me going over the falls and driving my knee across the deck. Board didn't buckle, but I put a nice diagonal furrow across the deck. Still going strong 3 months later, but I prepare mentally for its demise.
Stoked it's holding up good and you like it. A swallow tail does exactly what you say-- helps the board feel more positive in the higher size range of waves that it is meant for, without taking much away from the low-end. I ride a 5-8 swallow tail in ceiling high (8 foot faces) waves in Hawaii all the time and it works great

DroppingOnYou

Nep status
Feb 16, 2016
Hi Jon,

Thanks very much for chiming in on here. Do you feel like this board is very volume sensitive? I've found that with shortboards you can easily make them feel pretty horrible if they aren't sized properly. I would assume that having a bit more foam in one of these wouldn't be as bad? I'm tossing up between the Pyzalien and the Slab 2.0 as my DD to go over my groveller and under my round tail Bastard.

Cheers for getting involved in the discussion!

YakAk

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 22, 2010
I wondering the same thing. I been thinking about choosing between a little more volume in a Pyzalien or a Nugget.

plus one, on getting involved on this forum. Thanks!

kdropin

OTF status
Feb 28, 2010
LI,NY/ TI,NC
whats the low range on these sleds? waist high? or higher.. i have a LSD chubby chedda thats getting tired wondering how it compares

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
kdropin said:
whats the low range on these sleds? waist high? or higher.. i have a LSD chubby chedda thats getting tired wondering how it compares
knee high. if really want to push it. the board paddles VERY good for a shortboard. I've had mine out in 2' surf and still able to get my fat ass into waves. granted I'd prefer to have my longboard at that point but it was an overhyped south swell and only had the PyzAlien in the car.

kdropin

OTF status
Feb 28, 2010
LI,NY/ TI,NC
stu dog said:
kdropin said:
knee high. if really want to push it. the board paddles VERY good for a shortboard. I've had mine out in 2' surf and still able to get my fat ass into waves. granted I'd prefer to have my longboard at that point but it was an overhyped south swell and only had the PyzAlien in the car.
this has happened to me plenty.. sweet it can handle the small stuff if needed

DroppingOnYou

Nep status
Feb 16, 2016
kdropin said:
My Firewire version (blah) paddled into knee-waist quite easily. It has very good paddle power and glide. I like the look of the shorter wider dims in the Pyzel version though as opposed to the FW ones. It did fine in big waves as long as they were flatter faced. Might pull the trigger on the 6'0 x 19.75 x 2.44 one this week.. Still humming and hawing about being overvolumed though. Seems to be in line with recommendations though - head height, the width I like in a smaller wave board and close-ish to my volume.