Put a hole in my head

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
It was gonna be a great morning, only one other guy out, soft little windswell peaks all over the lineup. I got a decent warmup ride to a double that deposited me back in the take off spot. Another mini peak popped up, the takeoff didn't go right and I jumped off, no biggie. Bump, no pain but I felt the wing put pressure on my skin. I knew before i touched it, I was opened up. One inch gash on my forehead about a 1/8 inch deep, bled pretty good. Luckily they haven't turned the showers off at San O and I got cleaned up decently before having to ride back to the car.

This is the third head bump from a wing since I've started and I think its time I start wearing at least a little protection.

Just took a pretty good look at the Soft Surf Helmet Tom Carroll is wearing and I think its too much. I'm thinking maybe a 2mm hood should be enough to keep from getting scraped and bumped. Any thoughts or recommendations?

• Wow
Reactions: ghostshaper and JDJ

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Yikes. Sorry man. I've been cut by a foil once when learning. That was by pulling the board back to me by the leash and the back of the tail wing hitting my hand. Never been hit by the wings on the head while in the water. I do hit my head with the wing carrying it all the time though. :)

You gonna super glue it up or butterfly band aids?

Have you seen surfcowboy's "bump cap from another forum? I'll go find a link for you.

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
Yikes!

I am the safety nerd who wears a helmet sup foiling. People make fun of me, but I really don't feel much need to impress. I have repeatedly smacked my head in the dumbest of ways .... latest being when I was flipping board over in the shorebreak, while dealing with wing...wave hit at just right/wrong time and cranked the front wing right into the side my head. Without helmet, would have been bad for sure.

For surf foil, though, I had to stop, the extra weight on my neck just too much in 3 hour paddle a thons. I do wear a 5/4 hooded suit year round though (yay canada) so that helps give a little protection.

A few weeks ago, in the middle of the covid-panic, I snuck out for a session, keeping it really low key to ensure not hurting myself and end up "that guy" in Emerg. I kicked out a wave, super casual, catching the board as I went over the top....missed the grab and smacked myself right in the face hard enough to see stars. First check for broken teeth, then for bleeding nose, luckily just a fat lip. Helmet wouldn't have helped, unless I had my gath robocop face shield down ;-)

Reactions: grendel95

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
Yikes. Sorry man. I've been cut by a foil once when learning. That was by pulling the board back to me by the leash and the back of the tail wing hitting my hand. Never been hit by the wings on the head while in the water. I do hit my head with the wing carrying it all the time though. :)

You gonna super glue it up or butterfly band aids?

Have you seen surfcowboy's "bump cap from another forum? I'll go find a link for you.

Once I got home and cleaned up, I got it closed with a couple bandaids. Very tempted to just glue it, but went to the doc to make sure.
Couple docs looked at it and decided stitches would be the way to go. Ended up with seven.

I was talking to ghostshaper about the bump cap, the times I’ve made contact with the foil have always been after I’m in the water, when the cap would likely have come off. I’d rather wear a hood than a hat with a chinstrap.

keoki

OTF status
Dec 9, 2005
That really sux. My friend and i were recently sup foiling at the dirty water break, he breached and somehow made contact with his board. He ended up with 9 stitches under his chin. 2 weeks out of the water.

I think surfdocsteve wears a 2m hood most of the times, maybe for protection not so much warmth. All the times i have been grazed by my foil, i had a wetsuit on so fortunately no cuts but the rubber probably saved me. i may start to wear my surf hat more.