Feb 9, 2007
NOC
Do you guys do pushups?
I'm starting up again
What's the best way to go about it

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
If I ever get a good stretch of underemployment again, I want to start doing tons of push ups again. With working manual labor swimming and paddling push ups are just too much.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
I’ve been pretty fit in the past doing nothing but Hindu push-ups/squats and MTBing. Throw push-up variations in the mix. Dive bombers, close grip/Diamond push-ups, maybe even some dips and pull-ups. I used to do a quick twenty-thirty after every board I cut. It worked when I only had time for work.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
50 a day at least , sometimes 100. switch it up - wide hands/ closer - staggered high low etc.

i usually do them as part as my little after lunch before i go back to work routine. 50 squats/pushups/ crunches. takes less than 5 minutes - 10 squats/ 10 pushups/10 crunches one after the other x 5. somedays i have alot of downtime ill do it twice like while im waiting for emails or something.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I'm up to 35-38, but form is pretty bad on the last few. I just can't reach 40.

The push up test was at 80bpm. I hope that was one beat down, one beat up, otherwise you're going really fast. Test ends when you reach 80 push ups, miss 3 beats or stop from exhaustion. 80 push ups???

Last edited:

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
IMHO, It's not about how many. It's more about form and pace. You can destroy yourself with a very small number of pushups if you do them strict and slow. If I get too involved with how many, I start using momentum and gravity. Slow negatives.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I'm up to 35-38, but form is pretty bad on the last few. I just can't reach 40.

The push up test was at 80bpm. I hope that was one beat down, one beat up, otherwise you're going really fast. Test ends when you reach 80 push ups, miss 3 beats or stop from exhaustion. 80 push ups???
Do a rubber band across your chest over the pull up bar and cheat.

One of my students was collecting money for his fraternity.

He asks if I want to donate.

I say, "I'll give you 5 cents a push up."

So he did 50.

As he was struggling It seemed like I was degrading him like you would a woman when you pay her to give you bj.

I had the same kind of bad feeling.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I got up to like 35 at a go but felt like i was hitting a wall and wasnt getting as much of a response out of it. Also i think my form was bad for the last few and it was messing with my elbows. Just got a 20lb vest and a yoga block for each hand. I go slow and can only do like 10-12 per set. Still to early to tell if this is the way but i was definitely extra sore after the first workout. Need to mix up the variations more like sharky is talking about I think.

Anyone tried Archers? They're hard.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
I started doing push-ups when the gyms closed during Covid as part of a home workout routine. There’s a lot of different ways to do them.

I figure TRX push-ups may be surfing specific beneficial because of the balance aspect.

Your Moms Dildo

Michael Peterson status
Jan 17, 2014
Next to the Lube
I’ve been pretty fit in the past doing nothing but Hindu push-ups/squats and MTBing. Throw push-up variations in the mix. Dive bombers, close grip/Diamond push-ups, maybe even some dips and pull-ups. I used to do a quick twenty-thirty after every board I cut. It worked when I only had time for work.
AKA, the prison workout. :monkey:

Reactions: Sharky

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I am feeling my former bi-lateral radial head fractures (two broken elbows) a bit more with each passing year, so I like to do slow, good form push-ups on my stairs.

Incline is about 45 degrees.

It makes it a lot easier to do many, but the slow good form aspect hopefully makes up for the lack of resistance.

I like to pretend I get to stretch out my Achilles tendons at the same time.

Last edited:

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I made the mistake of accepting the challenge of a couple guys 10-15 years younger than me to do 20 non stop pushups every 45 minutes. The bet was that the first failure had to jump off the cliff at Steamer Lane and swim to the stairs. In trunks.

The water felt kinda nice after all that.