Puka In My Kite Wing

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Well it finally happened, put a hole in my kite wing yesterday. I was on the outside, a couple miles out catching open ocean swell downwinder style and took my eyes off the road for a second and over foiled, got bucked off, and board flipped over onto wing. Small hole only about 4 inches.

It's bound to happen, it's happened to most here and it was my turn. Not being a kite or windsurf person I'm relying on those more experienced with these issues to get it fixed. There's patch kits and (luckily) there's more permanent fabric replacement patching here on Maui.

I'm applying a tape like patch today at a friends house, he just put a hole in his also. So he's going to show me how it's done. I'll record video of the process and post for those that need the info.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Yeah, just get the patch kit. Cut it so it overlaps at least a half inch over the hole. Round the corners of the patch so there is no corner to peel off. Make sure no sticky part is left exposed on the opposite side or it will stick when you fold the kite up.

The foil hit the wing I"m guessing?

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Yeah, just get the patch kit. Cut it so it overlaps at least a half inch over the hole. Round the corners of the patch so there is no corner to peel off. Make sure no sticky part is left exposed on the opposite side or it will stick when you fold the kite up.

The foil hit the wing I"m guessing?
yes

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
Kiter here ... most people who get significant rips in a kite (more than an inch, say), will get it professionally repaired. The magicians can make it stronger than new and often the repair barely visible.

You can get KiteFix for small rips: https://www.kitefix.com/ Pretty easy to use and bomber. Their website shows big repairs with it, but I wouldn't trust that unless in a pinch, say you were traveling.

For small rips, red plastic tape also works ... in Canada it's called Tuck Tape (not duct tape), it's used for air sealing in construction. Once affixed, it is pretty much permanent, the knock against it is the glue residue is pretty much impossible to remove. (PS: It also works for water-tight semi-permanent board ding repair, LOL) 1570229750544.png

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
haha...are you kidding?...no stress...

its not nearly a problem...rinse t off with hose...let it dry...go get some clear gorilla tape from home depot...put a patch on both sides...smash it tight...go fly...

i have kites from 2002 that have been fixed with gorilla tape...still going strong!