Puerto Sandino in a week and a half

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
How big was the swell when you went? Forecast is calling for 4-8 ft the whole time I'm going...leaving weds morning early and get into Managua around 9 am
Surfline said it peaked at 3@14. Sandino and the walk-to beachbreaks were mostly stomach-chest high or so, maybe a slightly bigger set every 45 minutes-ish. The inside reef was HH range.

i_ride_spinnaz

OTF status
Aug 19, 2020
Surfed there on a very consistent well overhead day, 8-10 on the faces. tons of paddling to make it back to the peak plus a bunch of current. crowd wasn't a big deal cuz everyone was paddling so much just to stay in position. There is a tendency on sizable days to try to push to the outside and take the larger waves, but the larger waves were kind of chunky in a slalom type of way. If you could make yourself post up on the middle corner of the reef you could pick off some hollow ones that were pretty fun. Fun spot. Only surfed it that once though as it was a pretty far drive from where I normally stay.

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Sandino holds a lot of swell. So does Miramar. But the Surfline forecast is always overstated.
Magicseaweed is what most everyone uses down here (typically Hawaiian scale on wave height) ... i personally also use www.surf-forecast.com .... one of the forecasts criteria they have is "Energy" ... gives you an idea of how much juice the waves have and it's pretty darn accurate. We've been getting plenty of swell as usual ... the wind has been the issue this year. Tomorrow looks to be HH - OH ... :waving:

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Magicseaweed is what most everyone uses down here (typically Hawaiian scale on wave height) ... i personally also use www.surf-forecast.com .... one of the forecasts criteria they have is "Energy" ... gives you an idea of how much juice the waves have and it's pretty darn accurate. We've been getting plenty of swell as usual ... the wind has been the issue this year. Tomorrow looks to be HH - OH ... :waving:
@flyinraptr is your go to spot Panga Drops? That’s an intense wave at size IMO

Reactions: flyinraptr

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
@flyinraptr is your go to spot Panga Drops? That’s an intense wave at size IMO
It used to be when i lived in Hacienda Iguana. Many a good sessions and yes ... have had some heavy days there. I live further south now ... about 5 minutes outside the town - San Juan Del Sur. My go to is Playa Hermosa .... about a 20 minute drive from my house. The beach itself is very similar to the beach at Colorado's/Pangas .... but has more options as far as surf spots .... probably 6 legitimate spots. I typically surf the far west end .... reminds me a lot of Lowers, Church, etc. Right off the bluff depending on swell angle - it is a sand bottom right hand point - that gets really really good. About 40 yds down is a sandbar with a hollow left that can be really fun. And further down is a rivermouth - sandbar that gets downright heavy. The only building structure is the Hermosa EcoLodge - which has i think 6 rooms and a bar/restaurant - otherwise it feels remote .... the 3 km drive in through a jungle canopy with about 8 river creek crossings helps. Right out in front of the EcoLodge is a mellow right - where non-surfers and beginners hang out and then going towards the other end ... there is a left hand slab that can get heavy (have snapped a couple of boards in half there) and at the far other end is a left hand point break - that needs significant swell to start working properly. I actually just got home from surf session - surfed the far west end - was HH to about 1' OH - 3 hr solo session .... got a couple of OH barrels on the left and some fun long rights.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
@flyinraptr Right on. Love that area. I visit Nica yearly, so I'll try to grab a surf with you when I'm down there.

I've taken some legitimate beatings at Panga Drops over the years. Being in the wrong place at the wrong time is no joke.

Reactions: flyinraptr

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
@flyinraptr Right on. Love that area. I visit Nica yearly, so I'll try to grab a surf with you when I'm down there.

I've taken some legitimate beatings at Panga Drops over the years. Being in the wrong place at the wrong time is no joke.
Yep - that is very true .... and if you aren't familiar with the current and reef you can enjoy the luxury of getting repeatedly beat down. I knew more than a handful of guys who refused to paddle out there if the conditions were anywhere north of 6'.

Sounds great! Hit me up when you're planning to head down this way.

Reactions: JDJ

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
Such a sick trip...Sandino wasn't really working as the sand wasn't good, caught some long fun ones though. Waves were 4-6 ft + and I caught Salinas (beach break) kegging a few mornings with a bunch of nice waves. The point at Miramar was realllly good two days with overhead barrels and Shacks was super fun (and shallow). Pics incoming.

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
Here are a few pictures...4 different spots. Last one is my favorite - it's a dog's life.

The photographer didn't get my best waves, but this gives you an idea of the zone. Surfing with the locals was insane (great people). Surfing with the group of 6 brazzos that showed up second to last day was fcking annoying. Man that stereotype is true.

Sick Trip, will post more as I get them.

Freight.JPGMan Turn.JPGtube 3.JPGhack.JPGSteez.JPG

Poetic.JPG

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Such a sick trip...Sandino wasn't really working as the sand wasn't good, caught some long fun ones though. Waves were 4-6 ft + and I caught Salinas (beach break) kegging a few mornings with a bunch of nice waves. The point at Miramar was realllly good two days with overhead barrels and Shacks was super fun (and shallow). Pics incoming.
Stoked for you, went to the boom, wish I chose where you went. :foreheadslap:

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
Stoked for you, went to the boom, wish I chose where you went. :foreheadslap:
How was it? A couple guys had just come from there and said it was a bit too much for them...they didn't really rip

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
How was it? A couple guys had just come from there and said it was a bit too much for them...they didn't really rip
It was consistent shoulder high to well overhead but the beachbreak was mostly closeouts and only worked at all at higher tides and before the wind went onshore. That being said there were some barrels to be had and it is hard breaking beachbreak maybe the sandbars were not set up since it was the beginning of rainy season.

Last edited:

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
Several of us :foreheadslap: went there a bunch of years ago and stayed at Miramar Surf Camp. Place was a sweet
setup on the bluff and we had a good time. The wave straight out is weird, despite looking perfect in photos...but those that knew it well (owners/locals) got choobs there. Spot down the beach to the north is pretty fun, but can't handle too
many people and is mostly one peak. Spots south of us never broke. Sandino is a killer setup, although the wind was
nuking soooo hard offshore each time we surfed it that it was a PITA with ribs up the face. Still had fun and that
wave would be ridiculously fun with more calm winds and some swell. Long wave and you can sit further in and
catch waves others fall on or kick out of if you want to avoid battling. I liked it there.

Reactions: JDJ and MathDebater

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
Several of us :foreheadslap: went there a bunch of years ago and stayed at Miramar Surf Camp. Place was a sweet
setup on the bluff and we had a good time. The wave straight out is weird, despite looking perfect in photos...but those that knew it well (owners/locals) got choobs there. Spot down the beach to the north is pretty fun, but can't handle too
many people and is mostly one peak. Spots south of us never broke. Sandino is a killer setup, although the wind was
nuking soooo hard offshore each time we surfed it that it was a PITA with ribs up the face. Still had fun and that
wave would be ridiculously fun with more calm winds and some swell. Long wave and you can sit further in and
catch waves others fall on or kick out of if you want to avoid battling. I liked it there.
Yuppp that's where I stayed...also caught the best barrels of my trip right out front on the biggest day at low tide with Rafa (part owner). Everyone else took the boat to Sandino and while we were out there waiting for them - we looked at eachother and were like "i'm not leaving good waves" and it turned on. Really good people and fun surf everywhere.

nrthcty

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 30, 2009
N.S.D
Yuppp that's where I stayed...also caught the best barrels of my trip right out front on the biggest day at low tide with Rafa (part owner). Everyone else took the boat to Sandino and while we were out there waiting for them - we looked at eachother and were like "i'm not leaving good waves" and it turned on. Really good people and fun surf everywhere.
Miramar Camp is rad, been twice. Rafa is a solid guy and love the family vibe - waves always fun, food great and the Brazzos - cant beat em, so join em

• Haha