Puerto Sandino in a week and a half

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
Hey so my buddy had his girl rekindle the flame with someone, bullshit, etc...anyway he's hurting and I thought a quick trip to Nica would suffice. He likes Managua so we don't want to get too far away so we can do the tourist thing too.

Any one surfed this zone, looks super fun and we are both goofies.

Any help is appreciated.

Reactions: JDJ

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
Haven't been myself, so take it with a grain of salt, but when I was in Nica in May a few guys I ran into had just come from there and said it was super crowded. Looks like an insanely fun wave though. Ymmv

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Yes. I've been there. It’s a really fun zone. I heard the sandbars at Sandino are epic right now.

Just know that you can only surf Sandino on incoming ride because the current rips too hard.
You basically need to jump in at dead low and surf until dead high tide. Plan accordingly because the wind can switch onshore in the afternoon (but not always). There are other good spots.

Bring your A plus paddling game to Sandino. The wave continuously pushes you into the impact zone and requires constant effort to stay in position and not get completely rekt.

It’s a great wave. Lots of Brazilians. Way more than down south.

Last edited:

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
Haven't been, but I know a bunch of guys that go regularly and their take is that most of the crowd are kooks and good surfers/strong paddlers will get plenty of waves.

Reactions: sizzld1

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
Thanks guys, looks to be some swell in the forecast 4-6 ft plus the whole time...gonna book it

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
Yes. I've been there. It’s a really fun zone. I heard the sandbars at Sandino are epic right now.

Just know that you can only surf Sandino on incoming ride because the current rips too hard.
You basically need to jump in at dead low and surf until dead high tide. Plan accordingly because the wind can switch onshore in the afternoon (but not always). There are other good spots.

Bring your A plus paddling game to Sandino. The wave continuously pushes you into the impact zone and requires constant effort to stay in position and not get completely rekt.

It’s a great wave. Lots of Brazilians. Way more than down south.
Looking like dead low in the mornings, stocked!

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Good call. Let us know how you liked the trip. It sounds like you’re going to score.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
It was turbo crowded when I went, 30-50. Sandino and most of the walk-to options are insanely tide sensitive. It wanted the hour and 30 minutes coming off the bottom (Sandino) or headed into the top (walkable beachbreaks), and once it peaked, the waves shut off.

There is supposed to be a beachbreak around there that is pretty thumpy, but it's a little drive or boat ride, not walkable. The only Aussie in the boat was the only other person who was into checking it, so never made it.

thekadvang

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 29, 2013
i think we're central
beachbreak past sandino that sharkbiscuit mentioned is dope -- definitely recommend getting over there for some emptier waves

my experience was very similar to everyone elses: good wave, pretty crowded, tide crucial. we didn't time it with the good tide window there and so a lot of our sessions were frustrating

Reactions: MathDebater

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Also the outside reef break never showed itself when I was there. I spent two days after the morning Sandino boat rides at the inside reef. The swell wasn't correct for it, maybe one wave hit it right every half hour. But I was alone so victory.

On that inside reef, you want the double-up nugget from deep. It should double, back off just shy of catching you inside. That is the chip in you want. Do not chase waves out the back. Do not chase waves wide. Do not get pushed off that one spot by wash-throughs. Look for the one that feels mostly too late (it'll back off if it doesn't wash through) and too deep (it'll stay open with offshores/rockreef section) and just go.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
If the tide is super high, the wind is good, and you guys are extremely competent and fearless surfers, you can ask to head 1 hour south to Gran Pacifica at Punta San Diego to surf Meat Grinders. There is also an empty and ridiculously fun beach break around the corner from there called Asunchillo. Lots of options in the central part of the county if you get tired of Sandino.

Reactions: wedge2 and mundus

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
I went on trip to the boom north of puerto sandino and it seemed the spots around there only worked on the higher tides.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Also the outside reef break never showed itself when I was there. I spent two days after the morning Sandino boat rides at the inside reef. The swell wasn't correct for it, maybe one wave hit it right every half hour. But I was alone so victory.

On that inside reef, you want the double-up nugget from deep. It should double, back off just shy of catching you inside. That is the chip in you want. Do not chase waves out the back. Do not chase waves wide. Do not get pushed off that one spot by wash-throughs. Look for the one that feels mostly too late (it'll back off if it doesn't wash through) and too deep (it'll stay open with offshores/rockreef section) and just go.
I agree with everything said in this thread but definitely this advice for surfing the reef. I watched a bunch of people try to surf the wrong part of the inside reef and get really frustrated.

Also if the tide window for Sandino is midday, even if it's still offshore, the winds can be too strong to be fun to surf. We had multiple sessions the offshores at Sandino were significantly stronger than other spots and it was extremely difficult to get into waves. Me and a few others from my resort powered through it but it was less than ideal, that's for sure.

All that said, we were frothing and always found something fun.

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
Hope you like to paddle.
I mean, I surf overhead Hatteras with 7-9 sec periods in 5-7 mm wetsuits a lot...so shouldn't be life changing, used to a lot of current.

We aren't just surfing the point, was wondering about the general area. Sounds like a lot of fun waves in the zone that won't be like 15 ft onshore ocean beach.

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Fair warning .... this season we've had the most rain i've seen .... with that the locals have been coming down river and showing up on the beach for the first time since i've been here. One has already become a celebrity - tourist attraction in town here. This handsome fellow showed up at a spot further south yesterday ... I'm sure he's friendly with tourists as well ...

croc.png

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
I mean, I surf overhead Hatteras with 7-9 sec periods in 5-7 mm wetsuits a lot...so shouldn't be life changing, used to a lot of current.

We aren't just surfing the point, was wondering about the general area. Sounds like a lot of fun waves in the zone that won't be like 15 ft onshore ocean beach.
Should be super fun. Everything with nature is a crap shoot. But unless you get a weird disturbance, you're virtually guaranteed good surf.

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011

How big was the swell when you went? Forecast is calling for 4-8 ft the whole time I'm going...leaving weds morning early and get into Managua around 9 am