Puerto Rico in April?

Planet_Erff

OTF status
Jan 11, 2007
too close for comfort
I have to go to Puerto Rico for work in April. Never been but I still remember the footage of Dane at that one insanely rippable right when the CT was there years back.

I'll be near San Juan for the first few days for the work stuff but thinking of staying somewhere by some fun surf (if there will likely be any?) for a few days afterwards.

Ideally I'd be able to walk to fun surf and have high speed internet.

Any options come to mind? Thanks for any input! :cheers:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I have to go to Puerto Rico for work in April. Never been but I still remember the footage of Dane at that one insanely rippable right when the CT was there years back.

I'll be near San Juan for the first few days for the work stuff but thinking of staying somewhere by some fun surf (if there will likely be any?) for a few days afterwards.

Ideally I'd be able to walk to fun surf and have high speed internet.

Any options come to mind? Thanks for any input! :cheers:
April is late season; could be tough to quantify "fun surf".

I am not sure what your location is but if I was still in a 5 mil in the Northeast I'd consider waist high waves in trunks fun after a full winter.

If PR in April sounds more enticing than your home environs at the same time, extend your trip. Then, if it looks like there will be a late season NW, find something more west-facing around the NW corner/west coast. Trades should be offshore all day.

If it looks more NNE or less swell in general, maybe staying on the North Coast and hitting it early is the go. Again, if you just spent all winter cooped up in a place like Boston, some morning surf in trunks and a couple warm days in Old San Juan could work nicely.

Lots of posters with more knowledge of PR on here as well.

surfer57

Michael Peterson status
Oct 5, 2007
NJ
Hit or miss. Going for 2 weeks starting the 30. Just happy to get back down after an extended time away due to COVID.

Looking to get in some time diving and if theres waves too thats an added bonus. Have logs down there already so don't need much swell. Hoping the crowds have died down a little but not counting on it.

Reactions: Planet_Erff

Planet_Erff

OTF status
Jan 11, 2007
too close for comfort
April is late season; could be tough to quantify "fun surf".

I am not sure what your location is but if I was still in a 5 mil in the Northeast I'd consider waist high waves in trunks fun after a full winter.
My standards are low. Recent water temp uptick allowed me to downgrade from a 6 mil to a hooded 5/4/3.

When I squint hard enough at my wind-battered local, I see fun wedges everywhere.

For PR - Anything loggable or fish-able where I'm able to walk to/from my dwelling I'll be more than happy with.

Second question: anywhere I can rent a decent full-volume shortboard/fish or standard log? Or should I just bring my own equipment?

Really appreciate the insights, thanks guys.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
My standards are low. Recent water temp uptick allowed me to downgrade from a 6 mil to a hooded 5/4/3.

When I squint hard enough at my wind-battered local, I see fun wedges everywhere.

For PR - Anything loggable or fish-able where I'm able to walk to/from my dwelling I'll be more than happy with.

Second question: anywhere I can rent a decent full-volume shortboard/fish or standard log? Or should I just bring my own equipment?

Really appreciate the insights, thanks guys.
Should always be rideable trade swell on the north coast, like others have said the earlier the better to beat the wind.

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
Yeah, April can be good, or not. Depends on what is happening in the North Atlantic.

Head west from San Juan towards Isabella. Lots of spots there and around the corner to Aguadilla/Rincon.