Puerto Escondido for Mortals?

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
Is it a good spot for a trip for a semi-kook, or is it always bombing? other spots if the beach break too big?

:cheers:

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
rts265 said:
Is it a good spot for a trip for a semi-kook, or is it always bombing? other spots if the beach break too big?

:cheers:
Never been and heard reefs and point near by but go down have to try beach break out and bring semi gun :cheers: I did pascuales for my hs grad surf trip 18 and dumb as fuk and had good time scored gnarliest wave(s) of life both bs and fs and also suffered heaviest hold down as well :drowning: I am 49 now great shape but think I would go else where for beachbreak bombs :shrug: maybe France hossenger some where around that :cheers:

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
I was in playa hermosa in CR on a big day and I was like efff, couldv'e stayed home for this...

just looking at other places, my favorite in El Salvador has gotten ridiculously expensive.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
rts265 said:
I was in playa hermosa in CR on a big day and I was like efff, couldv'e stayed home for this...

just looking at other places, my favorite in El Salvador has gotten ridiculously expensive.
Surfed Playa Hermose big and is nothing like a beachbreak like Puerto or Pascuales. Only two I can think of here in CA OBSF and Blacks :drowning:
Panama could be a fun trip I heard the roads are nicer then CR and use dollors :cheers:

thekadvang

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 29, 2013
i think we're central
I live at Ocean Beach and so have a high tolerance for large bad beachbreak.

I would not go to Puerto unless that is something you enjoy.

You can 100% get the barrel of your life there but there are a ton of closeouts and weird waves -- the clips that come out of there are super deceptive with respect to overall wave quality. It's not like a Nicaragua style situation where it's super consistent little thin lipped barrels all day. The talent and competition in the water is fierce as well.

There are definitely other waves in the area (la punta, the points south) but they aren't super close (except la punta).

If you don't want to charge beachbreak barrels, I would go somewhere else.

With that said, it's a rad place. Incredible energy and for sure the opportunity to get a crazy one... but maybe just one on your 10 day trip and maybe not one at all.

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
yeah, I don't want to be out in large pounding beach break, I thought El Porto winters were bad enough, jimmy's saying thats nothing compared to puerto.

There are definitely other waves in the area (la punta, the points south) but they aren't super close (except la punta).
this is the info I wanted. It seems like a rad, affordable place to visit (and easier than central America), but not the wave I want.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
rts265 said:
yeah, I don't want to be out in large pounding beach break, I thought El Porto winters were bad enough, jimmy's saying thats nothing compared to puerto.

this is the info I wanted. It seems like a rad, affordable place to visit (and easier than central America), but not the wave I want.
How about Salinas Cruz?

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
Salinas Cruz looks nice. Same price as Las Flores looks like. If the crowds are small I'd check it out. Probably going solo. need the ok from wife, trying to sell it to her for my 40th. I don't want to take my 2 young daughters to these places...

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
flores looks way more mellow, even mango looks mellow compared to salina cruz lol

https://www.salinacruzsurfcamp.com/thesurf

obslop

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
a few more options for a solo trip are colorados in nicaragua (firing, non-death barrels) if it's on and miramar surf camp in nicaragua (there are multiple camps in that area) which has access to a few different reef set-ups and a long, point style left than can barrel. fair warning re: miramar, however, is it's a brazilian stronghold. miramar could be great solo because a few of the waves are literally right in front and if you want to surf the long left you just jump on a boat.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Have friends that went to Puerto Escondido a few years back but they got skunked in terms of big waves. They did come home raving though about how good the head high surf was that they got to surf every day. Their pictures backed up their claims. They surfed a river mouth and a point near by. If memory serves the waves were very tide dependent.

nrthcty

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 30, 2009
N.S.D
Miramar A+. Owned by brazzos but my experience with them is that they were super kind, welcoming and helpful and the waves are great - beachbreak & reef short walk south, L point w tube section directly in front, R jetty break short walk north, and daily boat ride 10 minutes north to a firing hollow offshore sandbar is included, plus another heavy sandbar just north of there. nice accommodations and great food - locals working there are rad too.

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
Getting deep in the tube is worth whatever sacrifice or beatings you take to get there

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Went there for a few days not long ago. Mostly in the head high plus range (still kicks your ass at that size) and one day with 10-12 ft ground swell size (i’m not going to make any claims on face height, let’s just say it was big). On that day I got 4 closeouts and one barrel that I paid for dearly.

I figured out pretty quick that that spot just isn’t my thing.

IF you go, bring a big board (or buy/rent one there) and make sure you have spent a couple months (or more) swimming laps (I’d say 1,000 meters per week, mostly hard intervals).

That place will fuck you up.

Jan 21, 2013
rowjimmytour said:
rts265 said:

Surfed Playa Hermose big and is nothing like a beachbreak like Puerto or Pascuales. Only two I can think of here in CA OBSF and Blacks :drowning:
Panama could be a fun trip I heard the roads are nicer then CR and use dollors :cheers:
I hit up playa hermosa in cr and after surfing obsf on DOH to TOH days that place is a cake walk even at size. The take off is soft and then it just jacks, i wasn't all that impressed but that's just me. It was funny though for me b/c people who weren't using step offs were getting denied left and right yet i made it out no problem. I really enjoyed the 2-5 min paddle outs.

If it were me i'd just go to hawaii or french poly

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
imwhite said:
rowjimmytour said:
rts265 said:

I hit up playa hermosa in cr and after surfing obsf on DOH to TOH days that place is a cake walk even at size. The take off is soft and then it just jacks, i wasn't all that impressed but that's just me. It was funny though for me b/c people who weren't using step offs were getting denied left and right yet i made it out no problem. I really enjoyed the 2-5 min paddle outs.

If it were me i'd just go to hawaii or french poly
:foreheadslap:
WTF people used skis at Playa Hermosa? If you need a ski at PH bezt to stay out of water :monkey:

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
saw a recent video of an absolute thrashing at PE. It's off the list :roflmao:

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Meanwhile, just a hundred or so km down the coast, there are empty points. Like the one I surfed today. Overhead, carveable walls, barrel sections. 4 of us.

Mar 27, 2018
One of my good friends moved there for a few years. He was a good surfer who was always up to surfing the powerful reefs where we lived (Reunion island). He said the waves in Puerto are incredibly powerful. As previously stated, most waves at the main beachbreak close out, but there are a few gems you get every now and then. He said he wound up surfing the point nearby because it was just way more fun. I guess you spend most of your time at the beach break pulling into closeouts and taking lumps hoping to be in the right place when a perfect one comes through. He and his wife left after a few years. He did say the locals there were great people though.