Puddle Jumper HP Round vs regular ol' PJ?

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
Anyone been on a PJHP and Rocket Redux? I keep going back and forth.... analysis paralysis (Orange County everyday board for intermediate). PJHP looks a lot beefier on line, but it’s really not that different from the Rocket wide dimensions (5’9 PJHP volume = 5’10 Rocket W volume).

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
PJHP is beefy. Rocket will offer better upper end. PJHP best 2-5, Rocket best 3-7. If you have never had a rocket tail, they a a blast , good kick in pocket

Reactions: hotCheetos

hotCheetos

OTF status
Mar 28, 2020
PJHP is beefy. Rocket will offer better upper end. PJHP best 2-5, Rocket best 3-7. If you have never had a rocket tail, they a a blast , good kick in pocket
also looking at PJHP vs Rocket redux and 3-7 ft sounds perfect. do they have similar entry/tail rockers? . how did you size your rocket? couple inches below your height?

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
After going back and forth on the PJHP round and the Rocket I ended up going Puddle. It’s been super fun. I never got to try the Rocket so no basis for comparison, but after handling them in the shop for weeks it seemed like the Rocket has short board DNA in a super fun package. While the PJHPR has groveler DNA in a suped up package. Definitely similar but different starting points, and ride like that. My board has never been my limiting factor on what I can do...so the groveler DNA was perfect for me.

I’d respectively disagree that the PJHPR is beefy. It’s a hybrid but the tail is pretty thinned out. The pic is a Neckbeard 2 next to my Puddle....it’s a 5’8 Puddle vs a 5’10 NB2...so admittedly not apples to apples.
B4968FC7-2F7F-40FB-8BB7-5EFBDE47DBF3.jpeg7818EB5A-2D35-4784-90C2-8986D0954939.jpeg

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
my buddy has run his standard puddle jumper hp through the ringer in anything from ankle to head high. He loves it and may replace it with a cabron wrap version . not sure about a round tail on a groveler. Just doesn't seem right in my opinion. sqwatch or swallows all the way
does he run as a thruster or quad ? looking at one to mix things up. they make bigger ones like 6’4 too!

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
whats diffo bet pjhp and uber driver xl? seem very similar except one sucks as a thruster lol.
I'd expect to see a single concave, maybe slight double around the fins, in the uber driver XL.

PJHP I'd expect the single/double/vee. I have the lib tech regular PJ and the bottom contours are pretty different from Sub Driver, which I'd assume is the closest thing to the Uber Driver.

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
tje
I'd expect to see a single concave, maybe slight double around the fins, in the uber driver XL.

PJHP I'd expect the single/double/vee. I have the lib tech regular PJ and the bottom contours are pretty different from Sub Driver, which I'd assume is the closest thing to the Uber Driver.

well they have sub driver 2.0 now to confuse us more lol

hotCheetos

OTF status
Mar 28, 2020
for you guys that went PJHP after having an original puddle jumper what was your favorite? been riding my PJ all summer and it is so fun to surf catches everything but I think winter time it might not have enough rocker so might want to get the HP version or a rocket. Or just keep it as my summer board and get another Pj in xtr. Want all that wave catching ability and speed but just a little more upper end.

Last edited:

ciscojaws

Michael Peterson status
Jul 28, 2008
Kook City, VA
Got the PJHP in some consistent thigh to chest high surf this weekend. C4 tech, Futures thermotech MB2 quads, Dakine 6' AI leash and matching string, Captain Fin Co Infantry traction pad. Sticky Bumps base coat and Mrs. Palmer's warm water wax. Patagucci trunks and Coppertone SPF 30 face stick and spray.

Very easy to paddle and catch waves. As expected, stable and easy to pop up on, even for a leg dragger like me. Once up, one pump it it was off to the races. My OG PJ felt like it would pivot from the middle of the board instead of the fins, really bar of soap feeling. This one turns off the fins (as it should). It leans gently towards the tanky end of the spectrum rather than the chattery/flicky end, however it is not a tank and can be thrown around easily. Overall a good all around board for these parts. Not a one board quiver by any means, but it will definitely increase wave count and fill your passion bucket.

Gonna try some AM twins and controller rears next with a comp leash. Stay tuned!

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Got the PJHP in some consistent thigh to chest high surf this weekend. C4 tech, Futures thermotech MB2 quads, Dakine 6' AI leash and matching string, Captain Fin Co Infantry traction pad. Sticky Bumps base coat and Mrs. Palmer's warm water wax. Patagucci trunks and Coppertone SPF 30 face stick and spray.
What was the air temp and barometric pressure?

Reactions: MathDebater

Chile Verde

OTF status
Sep 29, 2011
where the wind begins
Both are 6’: the PJHP is 39 liters and the Uber XL is 37. I stand 5’10”and I had ridden 6’2” as my daily drivers since my teens. Feeling that I needed to go a bit shorter when I saw the 6’ PJHP I figured the length to liter ratio was about as close to what I want without ordering a custom. I am contemplating getting a shorter one but am a bit hesitant becasue I don’t love the super short stubbies and prefer a little more rail to lean on when the surf is chest/shoulder high. Found the Uber XL in the Black Dart construction and figured 2 less liters sounds about right for my HPSB (37) and pulled the trigger. I kinda feel like Biolos does a good job designing and shaping realistic boards for bigger guys.