Puddle Jumper HP Round vs regular ol' PJ?

Mar 13, 2019
Has anyone here ridden the Puddle Jumper HP Round (or even just the HP) and can say how much upper range you get out of 'em vs the regular PJ? I've had two PJ's (a 5'7" and currently a 5'2") and have liked them enough that I'm considering the PJ HP RND as my next daily driver. But, I'm not sure if the tweaks are enough to really justify that move. Any thoughts? Anything similar that you like better? Thanks much.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
my buddy has run his standard puddle jumper hp through the ringer in anything from ankle to head high. He loves it and may replace it with a cabron wrap version . not sure about a round tail on a groveler. Just doesn't seem right in my opinion. sqwatch or swallows all the way

Mar 13, 2019
not sure about a round tail on a groveler.
Yeah, this is part of my ambivalence, but the PJ already has a good bit of range for a groveler. If you start tweaking it then at what point is it no longer a groveler but more of a 'getting older' round pin?

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
I had a Puddle Jumper RP version. The model Matt was doing with the round pin years back . Fun board, groveled really well, and still took some larger/softer sets just fine. Would probably still have it if LAX didnt trash it on a trip back.

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
I've posted on this before. The Puddle Jumper was the worst board I have ever ridden. Didn't grovel. Didn't work when the surf was good. And that carbon wrap stuff felt terrible. Wished i'd bought a fling.

Reactions: HotHail and Havoc
Mar 13, 2019
What's the upper wave range of a Fling? I picked up my 5'7" PJ used and it became a kinda of jack-of-all-trades (master of none) for small waves, mush, and big softies. Always fun but never great. Then I snagged a 5'2" at the end of last winter and the board really opened up for me. After a couple of sessions, I sold the 5'7". Still, it's not ideal in punchy conditions, where a narrower tail/nose and a little more nose flip/tail rocker would help, I think. That's why the HP RND is tempting to me. But yeah, if it just surfs like a roundtail groveler, no thanks. Not really looking for something on the low end since I feel like I got that covered.

Reactions: Makoman

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Briefly owned a PJ Round (the original, not the HP) and didn't find it to be a great board for groveling. I thought it would be an upgrade from my Bottom Feeder with a higher top end but it ended up being just kind of a dud. Sold it, kept the Bottom Feeder for awhile longer and recently bought a swallow tailed Fling. Have surfed the Fling up to about chest high perfect point break surf and it worked pretty well. I would like to downsize the Fling a bit as it's a little bulky but I think a properly sized one with the original rounded squash tail would work really well.

Jan 18, 2014
I have a fling and PJ HP. Fling surfs like more like a HP fish with grovel ability, PJ HP feels more like a fat boy shortboard. I like em both even though on paper they should be considered overlap. I wouldn't say one is better than the other, just depends on what you expect out of it.

Reactions: Havoc and HotHail
Jul 21, 2015
I had my first go on the PJHP round today. A bit high tide and soft but the thing is fast. Really stable too. Mine is a 5.4 in the C4 construction. SF4 fins. I only had 30 minutes to surf but in that 30 minutes i got a handful of waves - left and rights - and while they werent all time waves, i was having all time fun. it surfs really easy backside... a few cracks on one right got me wondering why i dont ride round tails more. i think it will be my daily driver for the waves i surf. more to come! =)

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Seems like round Pj would be ideal in sloped yet semi powerful points like Pleasure Point HH and under, better than squash.

Reactions: fargy483
Mar 13, 2019
Seems like round Pj would be ideal in sloped yet semi powerful points like Pleasure Point HH and under, better than squash.
I've had some good sessions in HH+ Pleasure Point on my regular PJ. It gets in early enough that I can sit a little deeper than the longboarders and a little further outside than other shortboarders. If it's sloped, the squash tail does just fine. It's when it's steeper and pitching (usu. at other breaks) that I find myself wishing for a round tail.

Reactions: chilly1

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Agreed HHail, I have had had same results with same board. Never had a PJRP but seems like less would be suited for repetitive arcs. from memory, as I scarcely ever go there anymore, and never really would go unless it was washed out where I usually surf. I remember round tails being my favorite for that spot. Squash for the win all around!

Reactions: HotHail

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I got a 5'8" Carbon Wrap PJ Slim a while back and I really dig it. Haven't gotten too many sessions on it but I always seem to have a good time when I take it out. Super easy board to ride. Grovels like a champ but feels like it can handle a little size and can be surfed aggressively off da hind leg. Still deciding whether I prefer it as a quad or thruster.