Puddle Jumper HP Round vs regular ol' PJ?

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
5' 11" ~190lbs and have been enjoying my 5' 10" 36L PJHP for over a year now. I get a bit flustered on it when the waves get head high + and/or a bit faster moving , but in 2'-5' average beach break or anything that's not a complete slopey mush burger it is great.

hotCheetos

OTF status
Mar 28, 2020
Interesting. Im 6'0 and rode the stock 5'10 PJ all last summer and really got spoiled catching just about everything so I ordered a custom 5'9 PJ and 6'0 rocket redux to go with it, thinking the RR would be my daily driver and the PJ I'd only use on the small days. The RR went great as a daily driver for winter (still have a step up for overhead days) but for summer found myself back on the 5'9 PJ unless it's shoulder + then I switch to the RR. A little squirty in the pocket but the PJ catches everything so easy and the small board fits it's the wave better of my pockets summer local. Of course now my mind is wandering if I should have gone even shorter on both boards. Tempted to go 5'10 or 5'11 UBXL next, and maybe even another 5'7 puddle jumper. i like to sleep in my own bed though so it's just fantasy for now

Reactions: JDJ and MathDebater
Nov 25, 2020
I have the hp with the rounded tail. It is 5'9 and I'm 164 pounds 5'7... this is my go to when beach break waves get good or/and hollow (even over my ghost). I run a set of stretch quads on it and it bites down on anything.

It is okay as a groveler, but up to head and a half , this is my favorite board

Reactions: HotHail