Public vs Private Sector vaccine dispersal: Who's doing a better job?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Why even get the vaccine if it still means you're going to have to live in the "new normal" and you're not at risk?
The vaccine isn't about stopping catching or spreading; it's not like regular vaccines, remember? It's solely there to help your body fight the virus

I'd rather live a normal life than a life free of risk. Outliers are called outliers for a reason
The vaccine is about me going on a surf trip, you absolute santorum receptacle.

The moleskein maxi pad with our picture doesn't even keep me from getting diarrhea, but lack thereof seriously fucking jeopardizes my July/August tube count.

The fucking sticker with my birth month and a year on my license plate doesn't prevent my brakes from locking up, but it does mean one less reason to get pulled and risk a krauthund sniffing the whip.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Did you go to the show at The Roxy in late 2019? Great show...
Yep.

Hate all the CroMags drama but I love seeing them In almost any form. Was at this show which I believe was the last time Harley and Bloodclot took the stage together. Oddly Mackie wasn’t on the drums but Earl Hudson may have one upped him...

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Question for Grapedrink:

If the public sector wasn’t funding the R&D, manufacturing and distribution of this vaccine how do you think it would have played out if it was left exclusively up to the private sector with no assistance from the government?

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Question for Grapedrink:

If the public sector wasn’t funding the R&D, manufacturing and distribution of this vaccine how do you think it would have played out if it was left exclusively up to the private sector with no assistance from the government?
I never said that the private sector is an island in this whole thing. I'm simply talking about the actual giving of the vaccine. Where I live, the government system is a joke.

That said, the private sector could've easily formulated vaccine candidates without government funds. It's not rocket surgery. The funds were probably contingent on them making the cost affordable and accessible. If it were all private sector, they'd charge whatever they want.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
I never said that the private sector is an island in this whole thing. I'm simply talking about the actual giving of the vaccine. Where I live, the government system is a joke.

That said, the private sector could've easily formulated vaccine candidates without government funds. It's not rocket surgery. The funds were probably contingent on them making the cost affordable and accessible. If it were all private sector, they'd charge whatever they want.
Where do you live?

Sure, the private sector could produce a vaccine sans govt. Pfizer, the first one out of the gates did just that by declining to take part in operation warp speed. Now lets take the govt out of the manufacturing and distribution part of it and ask yourself would this vaccine make it to hundreds of millions of people being distributed by CVS and Rite Aid, particularly the needy ones who are disproportionately falling victim to this virus? Or would it just become a haves and a have not situation? Could you really get society back up and running if only the privileged are vaccinated? Or are the less privileged considered acceptable losses?

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Trust the corporations, not the government.

Everybody knows that corporations care about citizens' health first and foremost.

That's the only motivation for their entire existence.

lololololo

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: Mr Doof and $kully

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Where do you live?
Central Coast.

Sure, the private sector could produce a vaccine sans govt. Pfizer, the first one out of the gates did just that by declining to take part in operation warp speed. Now lets take the govt out of the manufacturing and distribution part of it and ask yourself would this vaccine make it to hundreds of millions of people being distributed by CVS and Rite Aid, particularly the needy ones who are disproportionately falling victim to this virus? Or would it just become a haves and a have not situation? Could you really get society back up and running if only the privileged are vaccinated? Or are the less privileged considered acceptable losses?
No, I don’t think cvs and Walgreens could handle it all on their own, but if we were forced to we could loop in more companies. You would still need some central form of governance and leadership for distribution.

What I am saying is that even with large government facilities at their disposal with huge parking lots (schools/colleges, fairgrounds, vets halls, etc) I am still having an easier time getting an appointment at cvs. What does that tell you about the government scheduling system?

The rest of your post with the 20 questions regarding the poor is just a strawman. I never said that government shouldn't be involved or that the poor don’t matter, what I said is that the government here is failing at it. poor and rural communities are going to be a challenge regardless because people will need to congregate somewhere, whether that be a local school or a pharmacy. A UPS truck with a vaccination tram would probably be more effective in certain communities where people are more spread out and/or have difficulty getting to a vaccine site.