Public vs Private Sector vaccine dispersal: Who's doing a better job?

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Kaiser has been pathetic.

They send email saying, what are we supposed to do? Stop asking when.

Are they pubic or private?
Kaiser is private. Yeah, I have Kaiser and keep getting emails saying "any day now." Thing is the state of CA decided which private companies get to do it.

I have to admit there was something dystopian about congregating in an empty parking garage on a college campus and being given a vaccine by the military. I did thank them for their service.

Reactions: Woke AF

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Question for grapedrink, do you think CVS, Rite Aid, Walgreens, etc could effectively and efficiently administer hundreds of millions of vaccinations if the government just left it up to the private sector? Or is it maybe that they're doing a better job because state and local governments are handling the brunt of the demand easing the demand on them?
exactly. The premise of the question is flawed and presents a false dichotomy.

What we are witnessing is a public-private partnership.

imagine if we put CVS, Rite Aid, and Walgreens in charge of national defense.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
aren’t you a school teacher?
Context, my friend.

One time I was in class clowning around and one of the female students said, "Ahhhh, gross, Auto! My young ears shouldn't be hearing this!"

I said, "Don't worry. I will keep you safe."

Some kids are not used to play fighting and taboo humor.

These two things are the best way to prime the nervous system.

test_article

Kelly Slater status
Sep 25, 2009
Body of Christ, Texas
Notes on drive-thru mass vaccination in Nueces County Hospital District (a human story)...

1st dose Moderna, groups 1A & 1B: gates open at 8:00 AM; first come, first serve; even the young'uns are not queried over their health, just given the shot; 2-1/2 hours wheels up to wheels down.

2nd dose Moderna, groups 1A & 1B: by appointment; 4-1/2 hours wheels up to wheels down; scads of young'uns getting shots.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
IMHO DeSantis is doing a shitty job. The olds might be vulnerable but they also don't do anything of value. The next over 65 teacher I see will be the first. The schools, followed by the restaurants/bars, should be the priorities. Old people go out so infrequently that they basically social distance during the early bird dinner window they actually hit. The pop-up thing is literally donor payback.

He does get some points for bringing in private sector distribution.

FEMA which I'd consider public and federal (not DeSantis) had a site in Tampa and the first day, not that many olds showed up, so they on-the-fly told DeSantis's order go GFY. The next day, a shitload of people showed up, and they went back to enforcing DeSantis's order.

I commend FEMA for not wasting the vaccine although I feel sorry for the aggravation felt by the people who showed up the next day.

As long as I can get it somewhere before summer surf travel that'll be good enough.

Reactions: grapedrink

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
Where I live, private. The county system is non-responsive, and people who qualify end up waiting for weeks/months. Meanwhile, you can book appointments online with CVS/RiteAid/Ralphs etc and there are literally hundreds of appointments with less than a 1 week wait. Even people who work for the government, with priority, are asking about getting a vaccine are being told to wait with no suggestion for where else to look. Just wait for the government to take care of you like a good citizen!

Shouldn't the county governments and employee unions at least be referring people to other options if they cannot manage the capacity on their own?

Thank goodness for the free market, beats the government every time.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
You forgot to log in as fecalface.

Besides, why would I need to do that? The free market is thriving here.
What are fedex, ups and Amazon without the FAA, our ports, our interstate system and our local roadways? In the words of Obama “You didn’t build that”

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Seems to be about 50/50 here. Both pubic and private long waits and confusing systems from what I’ve heard.

I’m not even eligible and plan on most likely letting the brunt of people go to beforehand just to keep it simple.

CDC released new guidelines that were promising. Kind of shattered the clowns theories of this being a power grab.

Reactions: $kully and hal9000