Psyko or Hydronaut for NJ step-up?

njsurfer42

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2006
shrouded in a 5/4
i'm really, really sold on Tomo's MPH concept & would like to find a board for when it gets bigger/drifty/steep here in NJ & my Evo & Vader top out...think head high or so on up to as big, cold, & heavy as it gets around here. i was initially thinking Hydronaut would be the call, but i've been reading some reviews of the Psyko that have me intrigued.
Tomo fans, what do you think?

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
Can't go wrong with either

Hydronaught gets my pick even tho I never rode one , oceanslide had its predisesore out at my local on prolly the best day in the last 5 years and it got an +A no doubt

https://www.instagram.com/p/fF328HoOBw/

Get some extra volumes and enjoy all that bad boy has to offer

And go futures , hi can just tell the AM2 techfex will be epic

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Psyko is a precision machine. It's the board you ride in perfect head high barrels or if you want to carve double overhead walls. It really shines in pristine conditions, so if there is chop on the water or lots of drift, that's when I change over to the Hydronaut.

Hydronaut does best at 1.5x overhead and up. It can definitely handle a bit of drift and chop. Really easy to go rail to rail and carve through sections, but its pivots aren't as tight as the Psyko. When the waves are big and chunky, that's when I take the Hydronaut out.

njsurfer42

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2006
shrouded in a 5/4
Sounds like I might want a shorter, wider Hydronaut then...we very rarely get those perfect days where it sounds like the Psyko likes to live. I'm thinking 6'1" Hydronaut around 36-37L will do the trick (my Evo & Vader are stock 5'7" & 5'8", respectively...right about 34L). I'll leave the width & thickness up to the folks at XTR.

Edit: that's an amazing pic, retodd!

3dXman

Michael Peterson status
Mar 30, 2009
Koolville City
njsurfer42 said:
i'm really, really sold on Tomo's MPH concept & would like to find a board for when it gets bigger/drifty/steep here in NJ & my Evo & Vader top out...think head high or so on up to as big, cold, & heavy as it gets around here. i was initially thinking Hydronaut would be the call, but i've been reading some reviews of the Psyko that have me intrigued.
66-4-0,

njsurfer42

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2006
shrouded in a 5/4
3dXman said:
njsurfer42 said:
66-4-0,
huh? :shrug: