Prosecute the torturers, appoint the special counsel!

i,surfjac

Nep status
John Dean, former White House legal counsel sez':
"Remarkably, the confirmation of President Obama's Attorney General nominee, Eric Holder, is being held up by Texas Republican Senator John Cornyn, who apparently is unhappy that Holder might actually investigate and prosecute Bush Administration officials who engaged in torture. Aside from this repugnant new Republican embrace of torture (which might be a winning issue for the lunatic fringe of the party and a nice way to further marginalize the GOP), any effort to protect Bush officials from legal responsibility for war crimes, in the long run, will not work.

It is difficult to believe that Eric Holder would agree not to enforce the law, like his recent Republican predecessors. Indeed, if he were to do so, President Obama should withdraw his nomination. But as MSNBC "Countdown" anchor Keith Olbermann stated earlier this week, even if the Obama Administration for whatever reason does not investigate and prosecute these crimes, this still does not mean that the Bush Administration officials who were involved in torture are going to get a pass.

With few exceptions, the discussion about what the Obama Administration will do regarding the torture of detainees during the Bush years has been framed as a domestic matter, and the fate of those involved in torturing has been largely viewed as a question of whether the Department of Justice will take action. In fact, not only is the world watching what the Obama Administration does regarding Bush's torturers, but other countries are very likely to take action if the United States fails to do so."

Many seem to want to use torture under the misapprehension that some "good intel" will come of it. That has been debunked time and time again; the tortured will say anything and I can imagine that an individual KNOWING he might be tortured if captured will "learn" a new story in order to mislead the inquisitors. Besides the obvious illegalities of torture and the hope that the torturer-enablers are prosecuted (there's already a good case against Rumsfeld), what I'm really worried about is the use of torture that illicits wrong information (which according to studies will happen) that gets people killed. Or maybe that's happened already.