Pros who were "Cancelled"

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Rico was building custom saunas for folks last I saw him, really nice ones. Regardless of what he did, he has always been a really friendly funny guy.
That’s right he said he was doing that but the supply chain issues were affecting finish times.
Rico lost the tip off a finger from a power saw learning cabinetry too.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Here’s a little hijack for this thread. What about the pros/surf stars that are banned from certain spots?

There’s a long list throughout decades of well know surfers who aren’t welcome on Oahu under threat of violence. For various offenses. Drugs, ripped off the wrong people, dated someone’s daughter, sister, cousin.

I remember when I worked at the surf shop David Nuuhiwa wanted to get married in Hawaii and had to get a pass from whoever he had burned so he could get married on Oahu.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Here’s a little hijack for this thread. What about the pros/surf stars that are banned from certain spots?

There’s a long list throughout decades of well know surfers who aren’t welcome on Oahu under threat of violence. For various offenses. Drugs, ripped off the wrong people, dated someone’s daughter, sister, cousin.

I remember when I worked at the surf shop David Nuuhiwa wanted to get married in Hawaii and had to get a pass from whoever he had burned so he could get married on Oahu.
Did he marry himself? I don’t see anything else lasting.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach

Hijack away

eat-popcorn.gif

• Haha
Reactions: ReForest and scooch

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Bonzer is allowed on Kauai, but Ali Kai still makes him go fetch beer like it’s the 80s :roflmao:

• Love
Reactions: teeroi

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Joey Buran found god. started churches, came back to the coast, coached the US Team, still does sometimes. Loves a good Dance video on IG. But has anyone seen him surf in the last 20 years? I think his nephew is shpaing or a part of Surfboardbroker with Duran Barr, another 2nd gen NCSD kid.

Lambresi has been selling cars in NCSD for years and still surfing. He cut chunks off his ankle trying to get a pic for IG and has been in heavy, skin grafting, rehab for it. Fun fact, my first board was a neon, sponge-painted Merrick with the fins busted out. My dad got some glassed in.

This feels more like a "where are they now" thread. Most of the people ya'll are calling "cancelled" just didn't get photos published anymore or didn't stay sponsored for no other reason than they fell out of marketing favor.

I've never heard the "don't come back to Hawaii, David" story, but I always wondered why I only saw him in CA. I assume he burned somebody on a deal.

Jeremy Sommerville died last week.
That sucks.

Reactions: teeroi

Tanner

Phil Edwards status
Jul 30, 2003
Point Loma
Visit site
This feels more like a "where are they now" thread. Most of the people ya'll are calling "cancelled" just didn't get photos published anymore or didn't stay sponsored for no other reason than they fell out of marketing favor.
Years ago, I started a thread called 'The Hot Californians - Where are they now?' or something like that, and listed 50 or so CA pros ('A', 'B', and 'C' level 'pros' that is) from the 80's. It was cool to see lots of people chime in and say 'He's working at _____, doing _____, but is still out ripping', etc.

Might be time to start a broader 'Where are they now?' thread............

Reactions: rowjimmytour

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location

I think a certain Bonzer riding Venturan was shown the door some years back.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
years ago some of the modern collective aussies got told to leave at Turtle Bay during the Surfer Mag awards

haven't seen any clips of them in Hawaii since

• Wow
Reactions: ReForest

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Here's one for the way back machine...
Surfed with Scott Daley when we were in HS.
He had a few pics published in Surfer or ing surfing Malibu.
He was IMO one of the best surfers around.
Dated his step sister Karen for a bit (so frekn' beautiful!)
Think he was a rep at Body Glove for a long time.