Pros Popping Up

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
If you’re trying to perfect the “pop up” you’ve already lost. Should be automatic, burned into the brain after many years of repetition. This is the ultimate VAL tutorial (n)

• Haha
Reactions: elCondor

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Brah, I watched that video a few weeks back and tried to pop up like a pro. I f*cking ate sh*t like a pro on two waves in a row. Good thing no one was out yet. It was making me think about something I automatically have done without any major issues for over 40 years. After the second faceplant I just popped up like I normally do and I was fine.

Get out of my head Havoc.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Brah, I watched that video a few weeks back and tried to pop up like a pro. I f*cking ate sh*t like a pro on two waves in a row. Good thing no one was out yet. It was making me think about something I automatically have done without any major issues for over 40 years. After the second faceplant I just popped up like I normally do and I was fine.

Get out of my head Havoc.
analysis paralysis.

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
better off fixing your paddling and actual surfing technique than worrying about the pop up, mental masturbation at the finest. need an instructional of how to tie your shoes too?

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
I mess up regularly popping up frontside on a shortboard wearing booties. Especially if the board has a traction pad. Front toe gets hung up. Sometimes even tweaks my front big toe. Drives me nuts. I need to quit surfing.

Reactions: Lohena

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
I mess up regularly popping up frontside on a shortboard wearing booties. Especially if the board has a traction pad. Front toe gets hung up. Sometimes even tweaks my front big toe. Drives me nuts. I need to quit surfing.
I know exactly what you are talking about. I thought it was my arms getting weak. After tons of push ups didn't help, I thought it was my lower back getting tight. Tons of toe touching didnt help.

Then I realized the trouble was in my hips. A therapist showed me where they were tight, and some hip flexing exercises. That made the difference.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Get a SUP. No “popping up” required! Kneeboarding?

You’re prone. You stand up. The end.

Uberkuque

Gerry Lopez status
Nov 19, 2014
I know exactly what you are talking about. I thought it was my arms getting weak. After tons of push ups didn't help, I thought it was my lower back getting tight. Tons of toe touching didnt help.

Then I realized the trouble was in my hips. A therapist showed me where they were tight, and some hip flexing exercises. That made the difference.
Can you link anywhere to what those hip flexing exercises were?

Reactions: SharkBoy