Professional thieves La Jolla Shores.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Ah okay, after reading the other thread, they got into your finances by having your ID and cards in your wallet. Seem crazy they would be able to break the iphone password and text your wife (I hope shes not named "wife" in your contacts :shrug: ) but it doesnt seem like they got anything else as far as financial authorization or credentials from the phone.

This reminds me, I did get hit many years ago in the streets near LJ SHores. Truck was locked with the keys inside because I have a keypad entry on the drivers door. When I came back t the truck it was still locked, obviously being done so you are not immediately tipped off, so we got in and drive away to pick up food when my wife noticed her cards and ID were gone but her purse remained. It was then that I checked my wallet in the center console and found some cards missing that I knew we'd been hit.

Only ended up being a few Txn at gas stations way way out of town, which leads me to believe its highly coordinated. Like they steal the cards and immediately hit up friends with authority at any given business who can start running transactions right away. Meaning, they aren't driving straight to a gas station to try and physically use the cards. The charges on mine were from like El Cajon or somewhere way too far to get to within the hour we were gone.
My wife (not named in my phone) started getting texts from Wells about high dollar transactions so she texted my phone... and the thieves started texting her back... "Yeah I got the alert too - I'm literally on the phone with Wells now."

Funny thing is this all happened right in front of a gated mansion on LJ Shores Dr, which surely has cameras facing the street, and the houses on the other side of the street likely have the same. So likely caught on film, as are plenty of other ripoffs in the area.

So the thieves working the area know they can act with impunity. Nine vehicle thefts and eleven vehicle burglaries in that little area this past winter, looking at the crime mapper shows it's clearly a hot spot.

And those are just the reported incidents, as you have to do your own police report now via an online system that times out, which is a total PITA. And then you finally submit it, and they email you back several times telling you what you did wrong, to please resubmit, or to submit a separate report for something else.

More than likely the majority of people give up, which is exactly what the local politicians want, because the crime stats come back looking better than reality.:)

Screen Shot 2024-02-28 at 5.53.59 PM.png

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
My strategy with thieves is to make my Prius look like the inside of my wife's purse, with random sh!t everywhere. Take the battery out of the key, hide it in some pocket filled with a bunch of other junk. Take my phone and wallet and stash them amid the leashes, wax, towels, clothes, kids car seats, and toys. It's just way too annoying for thieves to rifle through all my junk just to find an iPhone 8.

LarryTate

Nep status
May 7, 2012
I don't bring anything with me when surfing (no wallet, no phone). I typically use a lock box but I'm second guessing it now. Will have to figure something else out.

I was pulled over a few years back going home from a surf. I explained to the officer why I didn't have my driver's license on me and he basically told me that my plan was a good idea. He then let me go with a warning. White privilege in a beach town is pretty epic.

Will there be snacks

Miki Dora status
Mar 18, 2011
Hotel Coral Essex
I don't bring anything with me when surfing (no wallet, no phone). I typically use a lock box but I'm second guessing it now. Will have to figure something else out.

I was pulled over a few years back going home from a surf. I explained to the officer why I didn't have my driver's license on me and he basically told me that my plan was a good idea. He then let me go with a warning. White privilege in a beach town is pretty epic.
Maybe it wasn't because you're white. Maybe it was because the officer knew you f'in shred. :shaka:

Dec 18, 2014
More than likely the majority of people give up, which is exactly what the local politicians cops want, because the crime stats come back looking better than reality.

Reactions: john4surf