Professional thieves La Jolla Shores.

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
Keys in lock box on dude's car. Broke the box, stole the car, used credit cards to buy stuff at stores in UTC. Abandoned car, kept wallet and phone.

Heard this today. Perhaps an organized group.

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
All these years in pretty much the same location, how hard is it for the cops to just set up a roving bait car, sniper, and cleanup crew and just do some proactive crimefighting? :rolleyes:

Reactions: keenfish

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Perhaps an organized group.
Yes.

I recently got hit down the street at Scripps big time, story here:

They were really fast - within 30 minutes broke my iPhone password and had employees at Apple racking up $30K worth of charges, and that was just the beginning.

Still $8K short in my account. Massive hassle dealing with Wells - I've switched banks now.

FYI those lockboxes can be compromised in a minute - videos all over Youtube.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
All these years in pretty much the same location, how hard is it for the cops to just set up a roving bait car, sniper, and cleanup crew and just do some proactive crimefighting? :rolleyes:
Lack of staffing, mounds of paperwork, and directives coming from elected officials at City Hall regarding law enforcement priorities.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Lack of staffing, mounds of paperwork, and directives coming from elected officials at City Hall regarding law enforcement priorities.
I know. When I lived in Kensington area off Monroe, I got my stereo and CD case stolen. Friend of mine staying over on a road trip got a bunch of stuff stolen from his car too (felt so shitty about that). Theft up and down the street. Filed a report that was useless, asked the cops why they don't just cross-reference who has recently been released from jail for theft with residence in Normal Heights as it's obvious they're going over the footbridge but was met with something like we can't really do that. When crime is so bad that everyone has to lock their dumpsters, that's a problem. :socrazy:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Must be professionals, those lock boxes are next to impossible to remove/open.
The Masterlocks everyone uses can be shimmed with a paperclip/metal sliver in about 30 seconds. Easy peasy.

I don't know how to do the punchboxes but have seen it done just as quick.

The "professional" part comes when they can break your iPhone password, your online banking password, and have a network of people working the retail end of things to buy as much stuff as fast as possible.

Jul 8, 2008
FWIW I got hit years ago at OB San Francisco. Ever since then I got paranoid and started taking my license, credit card and key fob (the valet is with me in the water) from my wallet and stashing them with my phone in small compartment in the trunk of my car. I leave the rest of the wallet..AAA card, debit card, 20 bucks in cash, etc..in the center console.

If they turn the car over they'd of course find everything, my hope is someone would just grab the wallet and bail.

Sucks that this happens at all.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
the only person I could see actually giving a chit in that area are folks in the lifeguard tower bc they park on the street too.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: JDJ

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
@casa_mugrienta ... dude sorry for what you've had to go through. The professional groups are out there .... we've had to deal with them ourselves on a number of occasions casing our place trying to figure out how to break in. We've had people ride by on moto's dressed in all black ... license plates removed ... holding up a cell phone filming our house as they rode by. We've had individuals flying a drone over our house only to flee when i tried to confront them ... dudes hiding in the bushes at 3am in an empty lot across the street. We had people pull up in front of house with a moving truck ... only to speed away when they realized we were home. The majority of houses in our neighborhood have been hit/robbed at least once .. some multiple times .... i believe our house is one of the few that has never been hit .... plan to keep it that way.