Pro Surfer Shills

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I have an Instagram but I've never posted and the only thing I've ever really done on it is like Neal Miyake pics haha

The powers that be keep trying to bait me in to promotional activity but I refuse to budge
I would follow you if it makes you feel any better. You lead an interesting life, hell, why not share carefully curated parts of it with the world and get paid in the process? I certainly do not judge or blame you for NOT wanting to get involved that way, but hell its easy money so long as those studio execs are paying well enough for you to Whore a little bit of your personal life with the digital masses.

here actually I’ll put my money where my mouth is. Watch the next thread I start. Let the shilling begin

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
I would follow you if it makes you feel any better. You lead an interesting life, hell, why not share carefully curated parts of it with the world and get paid in the process? I certainly do not judge or blame you for NOT wanting to get involved that way, but hell its easy money so long as those studio execs are paying well enough for you to Whore a little bit of your personal life with the digital masses.

here actually I’ll put my money where my mouth is. Watch the next thread I start. Let the shilling begin
I do appreciate the compliment my friend, but having spent enough time around famous people, I have learned that there are few things I value more than my privacy.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Roger that. I often wonder if, when an actor or some other sports star or whatever, finally “makes it big” that they eventually start wishing they had never become famous lol

TheEl

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 31, 2010
I think Kelly is gonna come out with his own crypto; kelly coin

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I think Kelly is gonna come out with his own crypto; kelly coin

He could do alright in the NFT game. He understood early on that one of the flaws of the ASP was that they did not prioritize the rights to video/images of their events. That was a major shift (and difficulty) when they rebranded as WSL.

I'm sure he could auction some images and get some $.

*I don't know how NFTs work

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
I stopped following A LOT of pro surfers in the last year or 2.

Content was pretty meaningless and the good stuff inevitably gets passed around.
There are literally a dozen B-grade pros on the north shore with vlogs...you can tell they are getting desperate by the titles, they're all click baiting as hell - "I surfed 30 ft Pipe while fighting a tiger shark". Maybe school was a good idea.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
There are literally a dozen B-grade pros on the north shore with vlogs...you can tell they are getting desperate by the titles, they're all click baiting as hell - "I surfed 30 ft Pipe while fighting a tiger shark". Maybe school was a good idea.

The ones with rich parents will do fine.

The others better have great personalities and like cooking, cleaning, and holding hands. There are only so many guys that get to be Tai Vandyke. The rest will be swinging hammers, waiting tables, lifeguarding, or getting jobs soon.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
The titles and thumbnails are getting more and more cringy. I saw one that said “I surfed the most dangerous spot on the NS!” And it was Log Cabins. Now don’t get me wrong, Logs is scary when it’s big and there’s giant boulders and weird sh!t underwater and it’s heavy, but c’mon…

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I can't even watch the Vlogs anymore. Some of them were interesting when they started but almost all of them slowly shifted towards them talking about products more than footage of them surfing.

The b-grade guy Vlogs can't be making any money when they get something like 30K views a video.

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
I can't even watch the Vlogs anymore. Some of them were interesting when they started but almost all of them slowly shifted towards them talking about products more than footage of them surfing.

The b-grade guy Vlogs can't be making any money when they get something like 30K views a video.
I sometimes watch Dane marinelayer clips from 10+ years ago. Also a few assorted other top tier surfers. the vlogs are palatable when the sound is muted and maybe a podcast or other educational video is playing in another tab, while fast forwarding through the “lifestyle“ parts.

HarryLopez2

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 11, 2020
Glad to not have followed any pro surfer guys to start. Just sampled some and its Cringe-omopolis. I used to feel paranoid to post any personal stories, not that they are interesting comparatively, and then just realized I liked my privacy. Good for keeping in touch with some friends.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Oh I forgot one.

Pro surfers posting about climate change and how bad fossil fuels are. But, they have traveled the world in airliners in a meaningless pursuit for waves. Thanks for the lectures.

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
on 2 separate flights - Tower Air NYC/San Juan - i fought with and subdued
a drunk bent on attacking the pilots and crashing the plane (!!)...one another guy
helped and we took turns sitting on his head til we landed.

i only did it cause i didn't....want..to...crash. ( :shrug: )....

it was mid '80s....no book deal, movie rights, or GMA :)cry::cry:)

i coulda been a contender...