Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
looks really fun
but u cant beat the 15 second tubes at kellys
ps: occy really needs to cut off those dreads

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
I've heard people say that and always thought it was true. But, it actually doesn't seem that complicated once built if you think about it. Basically seems like it's just a giant steam engine (those have been around for at least a century), pipes, massive valves/turbines (again at least a century of these things being used), and a giant bobber that gets pushed up and down on a massive turbine shaft. Right? Maybe I'm missing something, but it actually seems kinda simple.

2,000 waves/hour, 5 waves per bobber drop, and 360 degrees so it's always off shore on at least one of the peaks. I thought it was all kind of a cool to look at but useless steampunk dream based on the early footage, but it looks like the best wave pool on earth in the latest video. Plus they claim it's "entirely possible" to scale the thing up to a version that can create "triple overhead" waves. Who knows how they are measuring, but that would be pretty nuts to see in a pond.

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
slab and peak look fun. friend who got a chance to ride it said he wanted no part of the slab. something like barely a foot of water under there onto straight concrete. kinda the same deal at the bsr slab where Ive split my elbow open on.
wonder if they've thought about some kind of soft reef....like a big slab of concrete layered in rubber to minimize injury if you bounce off it. or just a giant pile of foam, anchored to the bottom. or something.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
wonder if they've thought about some kind of soft reef....like a big slab of concrete layered in rubber to minimize injury if you bounce off it. or just a giant pile of foam, anchored to the bottom. or something.
im actually shocked these guys havent factored it in. bsr is super shallow where the slab breaks and the end section of the normal wave is like shin deep while not as punchy as this pool - some sort of padding would go a long way. just something thin like the material on a dash board of a car or something would do the trick. ive surfed plenty of shallow reefs but nothing quite as shallow as the BSR pool.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Are they treating the water?

I like that it's a big body of water.

It's almost like an ocean.

If those waves were breaking out front I would be happy.

You could put up a wind break for wind.

Reactions: ZZ Soft Top

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
I've heard people say that and always thought it was true. But, it actually doesn't seem that complicated once built if you think about it. Basically seems like it's just a giant steam engine (those have been around for at least a century), pipes, massive valves/turbines (again at least a century of these things being used), and a giant bobber that gets pushed up and down on a massive turbine shaft. Right? Maybe I'm missing something, but it actually seems kinda simple.

2,000 waves/hour, 5 waves per bobber drop, and 360 degrees so it's always off shore on at least one of the peaks. I thought it was all kind of a cool to look at but useless steampunk dream based on the early footage, but it looks like the best wave pool on earth in the latest video. Plus they claim it's "entirely possible" to scale the thing up to a version that can create "triple overhead" waves. Who knows how they are measuring, but that would be pretty nuts to see in a pond.
i was thinking that too. just speculation on my part, but it seems like the plunger thingy has gravity doing the hard work. seems like there would be less moving parts than Kelly's train? have no idea how these compare to BSR either.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I know it's a big space, but eventually I could see these pools being built indoors. Control the wind, or have no wind. Control the temperature and the water temperature. Surf in boardshorts in the middle of winter.

Dec 3, 2020
I like pools. It is a very good way to relax and tone up your body so easily and pleasantly that you will be surprised. Any swimming (professional or amateur) involves all muscle groups. This brings them into great shape with regular visits to the pool. It is especially good when you have your own pool where you can spend as much time as you want. However, if you own a pool, you have to clean the bottom and walls of the pool and filter the water yourself. I have a helper for that in the form of best pool cleaner. That's how I let myself relax and keep it clean.

Last edited:

ZZ Soft Top

Nep status
Sep 22, 2013
Manta Sonica
Looks super fun. With waves breaking in the background and visible land, mountains, etc. it also looks a lot better on camera and is more enjoyable to watch than a wave pool in a dystopian Roller Ball arena.

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
What's the consensus -- are wave pools going to make the ocean surf more or less crowded? I hope to Sweet Jesus less . . .

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
What's the consensus -- are wave pools going to make the ocean surf more or less crowded? I hope to Sweet Jesus less . . .
They will create far more new "surfers" than they offset by hosting people who would otherwise be in the ocean on any given day.

Driftcoast

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2002
The machine is getting better

Is it sand bottom? How do you keep the sand from moving?