Prepatella Bursitis - prevention?

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Weird pain on the quad-side top of my kneecap. Super stiff and felt like I needed to bend it fast to pop the joint but wouldn't pop. It's better now but I noticed about halfway into hike I did on Sunday, made it really painful to bend my knee, which made for a pretty tough 14 miles down the hill (trekking poles saved me).

Looking online, seems pretty likely that's what I have. Feeling better now with ibuprofen and while all the online medical sites say what causes it and what you can do following it, they kind of get evasive about how to prevent it in the first place.

Only happens in the right knee, not the left, but makes sense as I generate a lot more power out of that leg (which is why hip joint is occasionally gimpy too). Any ideas how to prevent this from happening in the first place? Thanks. It's just started cropping up the last few months.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Sorry no one's answering you. I can't help. But...14 miles down the hill? Did you have to go 14 up first? If you did 28 miles that's a really long hike. And you said you didn't think you could do a marathon! I know from my marathon running that things happen after 23 miles that all your 22 mile runs don't prepare you for.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Yep, it was also 14 miles up the hill first. I guess you're right that it was a marathon! Aside from hot spots on the feet, which I put duct tape over, felt fine on the way up. Just descending was really tough, the last few miles. I was so worried about everything stiffening up, I didn't take any breaks the last nine miles.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Yep, it was also 14 miles up the hill first. I guess you're right that it was a marathon! Aside from hot spots on the feet, which I put duct tape over, felt fine on the way up. Just descending was really tough, the last few miles. I was so worried about everything stiffening up, I didn't take any breaks the last nine miles.
That's more than a marathon. And 14 miles up is hardcore. Last summer I did Mt. Wilson which was 7 miles up and that felt endless. So congrats on the accomplishment. I would thin aches and pains are par for the course at that distance.

Do you hike by yourself? Where was the hike?

ps when I run, downhill is what kills you, especially the knees.

ps barbell squats?

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
That's more than a marathon. And 14 miles up is hardcore. Last summer I did Mt. Wilson which was 7 miles up and that felt endless. So congrats on the accomplishment. I would thin aches and pains are par for the course at that distance.

Do you hike by yourself? Where was the hike?

ps when I run, downhill is what kills you, especially the knees.
Longest hike I've done by several miles. It was to top of both Saddleback peaks in OC via Harding Truck Trail. There's an ultramarathon they run up there every year. I have an immense respect for the people who do that.

I did it solo. It is fun to hike with others but for the more intense ones like this, it's nice to be able to go at my own pace without worries. I do carry a Garmin just in case sh*t hits the fan though.

Bursitis was hitting the right hip pretty hard too. Between that and the multiple blisters, was an exercise in perseverance finishing that hike.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Longest hike I've done by several miles. It was to top of both Saddleback peaks in OC via Harding Truck Trail. There's an ultramarathon they run up there every year. I have an immense respect for the people who do that.

I did it solo. It is fun to hike with others but for the more intense ones like this, it's nice to be able to go at my own pace without worries. I do carry a Garmin just in case sh*t hits the fan though.

Bursitis was hitting the right hip pretty hard too. Between that and the multiple blisters, was an exercise in perseverance finishing that hike.
Sounds like you were born to marathon. I missed this year's LA marathon. It's different than a hike. It's a spectacle but exciting...I might try again next year...

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
I've had something similar before. It went away in about a week. I felt it building all night, next morning it was bad, I was good after 4 or 5 days but gave it about 10 days to be sure.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Sounds like you were born to marathon. I missed this year's LA marathon. It's different than a hike. It's a spectacle but exciting...I might try again next year...
I can imagine it would be pretty fun if you were trained up for it. I do know that when you're hurting, you don't stop as you might not be able to start again.

Definitely going to need some new trail runners or boots. The number of blisters I get from the current ones are intolerable. And that was with three rounds of duct-taping trouble spots on my feet.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I've had something similar before. It went away in about a week. I felt it building all night, next morning it was bad, I was good after 4 or 5 days but gave it about 10 days to be sure.
I hear you. The pain in my knee is already gone although not doing anything to reaggravate it.

Just wish I knew how to prevent it happening in the first place.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I hear you. The pain in my knee is already gone although not doing anything to reaggravate it.

Just wish I knew how to prevent it happening in the first place.
Was it hurting on the way up? I know after the marathon, before I started using sandals, my knees would be really sore and it was especially painful going down stairs. I would think some kind of lunge would be good? Rear foot elevated lunge with dumbbells?

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Was it hurting on the way up? I know after the marathon, before I started using sandals, my knees would be really sore and it was especially painful going down stairs. I would think some kind of lunge would be good? Rear foot elevated lunge with dumbbells?

Everything was good most of the way up. Started getting a little tender after I got to first peak, got worse on the next peak, and rest of the way downhill was pretty stiff and painful. Bummer was I needed to switch water bladders (brought two 3-liters) but didn't want to stop even for a minute lest the knee completely stiffen up so just muscled it the last several miles without water.

Thanks for the link - I'll check that out. Can't hurt!

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Overuse syndrome of the quadraceps tendon with temporary tendinitis. How is it now?
Thanks. Oh it's been fine since a couple days afterwards. Just trying to figure out a way to prevent it from occurring in the first place.