Potential Move to Puerto Rico

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Only build on a high hill in Puerto Rico,
Or make sure to keep a dingy with oars, or small outboard, in the carport ALWAYS!

We had the latter, and used it annually.

:shameonyou:

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
I remember paddling the rubber dinghy to get groceries for everyone on our street in Isla Verde, San Juan. We lived in between the 'mangle' and the beach in a semi-affluent area. Water was normally waist deep to wade through. All kinds of creepy crawlies lurking beneath the brown opaque surface.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I remember paddling the rubber dinghy to get groceries for everyone on our street in Isla Verde, San Juan. We lived in between the 'mangle' and the beach in a semi-affluent area. Water was normally waist deep to wade through. All kinds of creepy crawlies lurking beneath the brown opaque surface.

I still to this day can not believe I climbed down inside our h20 well to clean and check '12 deep once a month when I lived in CR on Carribean side:socrazy:

• Wow
Reactions: SurfFuerteventura

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
What's the latest update?
happy slowly but surely. Contractor trouble. Finally found someone good but having to change plans to meet budget.

too many people building and not enough contractors. Prices are nearly mainland prices. Of course not coastal California prices but looking at $130-150/sqft.

my engineer is currently working with the contractor to adjust plans and get the new permits issued and bank needs 45 days underwriting. Hooking to be done in a year.

was just down for a month and you wouldn’t have know a hurricane happened. Scored 3 days of surf. Was flat more or less and several days of torrential rain. Got a good day at Wildos and great day at pumping middles with less than 10 people out.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
happy slowly but surely. Contractor trouble. Finally found someone good but having to change plans to meet budget.

too many people building and not enough contractors. Prices are nearly mainland prices. Of course not coastal California prices but looking at $130-150/sqft.

my engineer is currently working with the contractor to adjust plans and get the new permits issued and bank needs 45 days underwriting. Hooking to be done in a year.

was just down for a month and you wouldn’t have know a hurricane happened. Scored 3 days of surf. Was flat more or less and several days of torrential rain. Got a good day at Wildos and great day at pumping middles with less than 10 people out.
They've had a good run of surf down there. I would have gone down last week except the surf forecast didn't look good enough for the cost of the flights so I didn't pull the trigger. As it turned out they had much better surf last week than the forecast had called for the week earlier. I'll probably go down to chase the first solid swell in the late January-early February timeframe.

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
They've had a good run of surf down there. I would have gone down last week except the surf forecast didn't look good enough for the cost of the flights so I didn't pull the trigger. As it turned out they had much better surf last week than the forecast had called for the week earlier. I'll probably go down to chase the first solid swell in the late January-early February timeframe.
I missed the windows of good surf. It was pumping the 3 weeks before I arrived and been pumping since I left...I will be back down in the new year

Reactions: SurfFuerteventura

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
Cinder block with foundations, or straight up container structure bolted to cement platform?

:shrug:
going to be a fully poured slab foundation with reinforced concrete blocks. Wire mesh between every layer of blocks and rebars every 2 blocks. 6 rebar’s on the structural columns

was going to be fully poured reinforced concrete but am going with blocks due to cost

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
It's funny that the dishwasher is called out in english. Look forward to seeing the progress!

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Hurricane sturdy. What kind of roof? Careful here, ours flew off in residential San Juan and took off like Hercules was playing Frisbee golf with it back in the mid 70's. And if memory serves correctly it was a solid concrete slab type roof. Never seen anything like that happen again in my lifetime.

:eek::eek::eek:

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
Hurricane sturdy. What kind of roof? Careful here, ours flew off in residential San Juan and took off like Hercules was playing Frisbee golf with it back in the mid 70's. And if memory serves correctly it was a solid concrete slab type roof. Never seen anything like that happen again in my lifetime.

:eek::eek::eek:
Yeah definitely hurricane proof...slab concrete roof with rebar reinforcement attached to the rebars on the block. Also using security windows and doors so shouldn't be any issues with storms!
  • 1. Grass post cutting. Neighbor complained...it was over 6ft tall hahaha
  • 2. Grass pre cutting
  • 3 & 4. Permit signs and drivers license to show this isn't all a made up story! Even includes the numbers if you want to call and complain about my proposed project! Rights for presidential vote have been relinquished!
  • 5 & 6. View from in front of the lot and the view from inside the car on the lot at sunset after a huge aguacero
Stuff is happening slowly but surely!!

f5b125c6-b724-4c99-8acb-0f1810545600.jpeg2fd2782c-9ea5-4d1f-b439-7dc334d28286.jpeg75D67467-C04D-47D9-8215-58A21F9B8ED2.jpeg68754357111__21AFDB4B-9B45-4875-81A8-9FCBAD4B35D3.jpeg68825345190__1D2A9F49-E601-4A10-A86E-6E52206FE0AA.jpeg68825428126__D2EC912C-5521-4C54-A4AD-211FC195BBCA.jpeg