Potential Move to Puerto Rico

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
I use to go there frequently, although I've only surfed there twice.

Do you like Latinas and getting shouted at by them in heated arguments? They are particularly good at that.
I saw a lot of smokin hot ladies down there . . . .

Reactions: GromsDad

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Four guys from my local have moved permanently to Rincon over the years. They live there year round and seem to be happy. They've all stayed.
Same here. There are little expat pockets from all the different northeast surf zones. Little Montauk, little Long Beach etc. You can basically blend as much or as little as you want with the locals and/or expats. Makes for a moderately interesting melting pot. been there a bunch over the years like most northeast surfers. Crowds, sure, but there are lots of waves and often big playing fields when it’s really solid. And not much in the way of channels or reef cuts so that thins out a lot of flotsam. Is was on our short list for a while

Reactions: Ttboi

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
shhhh, Tres is one of the most punishing paddle-outs in the Atlantic

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Move to Quebradillas, they can't wait to have you.
This ..... as it's been happening in Hawaii for decades especially in Waikiki where I was originally from and now on the Island of Kauai, Hawaii, where I've lived for over 25 years.
Sad indeed.

Last edited:

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
I actually watched that yesterday. Thw quebradillas thing is jacked. Who buys an apartment evicts the tenants to build a luxury club residence for Americans with 2 weeks notice? Not to mention he has millions in unpaid taxes to Rhode Island.

sounds like quite a few unsavory characters move down there to avoid paying taxes.

I plan to buy land and build not displace anyone there. But get the sentiment
He won't be able to erase or avoid his tax bills in the US by moving to Puerto Rico.

Puerto Rico is getting pricier along certain stretches of the coast, particularly on the north and northwest beaches, where the surf is. But there is a whole lot more to Puerto Rico than that stretch of coast, where the locals are living just as they always have. The south coast is a perfect example. It's the inevitable that happens along desirable beaches pretty much everywhere in our country, if not the world.

I've been to Puerto Rico so many times over the decades and love the place, but never really had the urge to buy there. Certain areas do well investment wise, others stagnant and never go anywhere. Condominium investments are sketchy imo, due to poor HOA and management issues. Construction is shoddy in so many existing dwellings, and new construction requires you to be a construction manager, because complying with codes is not the Puerto Rican's strong suit. You have to be careful when you buy. Infrastructure issues (especially the electrical grid) and bad government continue to hold them back. Part of that is due to a brain drain; many of the brightest Puerto Ricans bolt for the US where they earn way more money.

It's an incredibly beautiful place with great surf, but it's caveat emptor for sure.

emmohl80

Nep status
Oct 17, 2010
Well, a lot of the local food delicacies are delicious but highly caloric. One of the few countries I’ve visited where I’ve put on weight.

I would also advise learning how to dance salsa and merengue; it’s a great skill to have in that culture. I found myself a bit left out at parties until I put in the effort and it paid off.

If you ever find yourself in San Juan, one of the best clubs I’ve ever been to is in one of the sketchiest parts of town (La Perla). Great dancing overlooking the ocean. I can track the name down for you if you make the move.

Even as I’m typing this I’m thinking you should go for it. Sure, there will be flat spells but you get to experience a completely different culture!
Lived in San Juan for 2 years while in the CG. Heard so many La Perla stories. It was actually the first place I surfed when I moved there. Scored fun waves with the local boogie kids. My chief was pissed when he found out I walked down there.
Good times!

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
He won't be able to erase or avoid his tax bills in the US by moving to Puerto Rico.

Puerto Rico is getting pricier along certain stretches of the coast, particularly on the north and northwest beaches, where the surf is. But there is a whole lot more to Puerto Rico than that stretch of coast, where the locals are living just as they always have. The south coast is a perfect example. It's the inevitable that happens along desirable beaches pretty much everywhere in our country, if not the world.

I've been to Puerto Rico so many times over the decades and love the place, but never really had the urge to buy there. Certain areas do well investment wise, others stagnant and never go anywhere. Condominium investments are sketchy imo, due to poor HOA and management issues. Construction is shoddy in so many existing dwellings, and new construction requires you to be a construction manager, because complying with codes is not the Puerto Rican's strong suit. You have to be careful when you buy. Infrastructure issues (especially the electrical grid) and bad government continue to hold them back. Part of that is due to a brain drain; many of the brightest Puerto Ricans bolt for the US where they earn way more money.

It's an incredibly beautiful place with great surf, but it's caveat emptor for sure.
tax bills play zero consideration for me moving there...and yes I will 100% avoid paying US taxes there as I would be moving onto PR payroll.

PR taxes are more expensive than USA+State taxes and there is an 11.5% sales tax. Unless you are a crypto investor or have some company with export services you have no tax benefit to moving to PR.

I am well versed in international taxes and I could use the foreign earned income exclusion or the foreign tax credit. The big advantage for me is having zero AGI on my USA tax return which means ZERO payment on my student loans which represents about 10% of my income.

Headed down there to visit friends, surf and work remote for a month and see what i think as I havent been to the island since I was a wee child

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
Lived in San Juan for 2 years while in the CG. Heard so many La Perla stories. It was actually the first place I surfed when I moved there. Scored fun waves with the local boogie kids. My chief was pissed when he found out I walked down there.
Good times!
Love it when a place can't be gentrified. They are burrowed in deep.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Good times!
Lived in Isla Verde 2 first years of high school right after parents divorced. Scored my first lb of herb in La Perla. Learned to surf at Piñones (americans called it Pine Grove), Aviones and La Islita. Learned to paddle Outter Reefs at Caballos.

Have a good high school friend from the NW, currently a lawyer/realtor in the Rincon area.
Lemme know if you need his contact.

Trustworthy guy, nothing to do with my credit history.... :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

If I were to move to PR again, it would be a bit removed from the coast, lived through plenty hurricanes there... :shameonyou: ...one of the few times I truly feared for my life. Had the roof ripped off our house during one... Not a shingly weak roof either... Full on cement slab, rebarbed to the thick cement walls... Torn right off like a sheet of paper. Streets inundated for miles around, electricity out for months at a time.

There's a lot better weather spots with great surf, still cheaper out there in the world... Look off the beaten path. South America is HUGE and has SO MUCH pacific coast exposure.

Me? I'd go to Chile, Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, Peru.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
There's a lot better weather spots with great surf, still cheaper out there in the world... Look off the beaten path. South America is HUGE and has SO MUCH pacific coast exposure.

Me? I'd go to Chile, Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, Peru.
The weather is nice in the Atacama but it's a desert liberally sprinkled with dogshit and the South Americans are an absolute nightmare to share a lineup with. Give me El Porto's closeouts and no-parking-space $2500/month rent any day of the week. It'll be way less of an aggro stressfest; you'll get burned 1/20th as much...

I expect the offseason in Chile has lots of the same issues the offseason in Central/Northern California have, and the Earthquake factor is the gnarliest on Earth.

Reactions: Ttboi

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Tbh, places I'm looking at as potential for moving to aren't anywhere close to the coast, more fresh water, fresh air, few people, self-sustainable, off grid type places far away from surf.

It hurts too much to even paddle out lately, and with the kook factor added in for good measure, surfing may well soon be replaced by farming imho.

:shrug:

Thought about PR, but inland, close to a lake. Salinas in the SE is really nice, las tetas de Cayey a bit inland down there is beautiful with breathtaking views and excellent weather. That'd be where I'd look out there, or around the east side (flat, no surf, incredible diving though and excellent fishing) again inland around el Yunque area.

Reactions: Rlacey111

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Tbh, places I'm looking at as potential for moving to aren't anywhere close to the coast, more fresh water, fresh air, few people, self-sustainable, off grid type places far away from surf.
Okay interior Southern Chile (minus the quakes) sounds dank for that. I dunno much about picking berries or mushrooms but a foragey stroll to/fro the trout hole sounds about right.