Potential Move to Puerto Rico

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
Visiting for a month in february and staying with a friend, haven't been in 20+ years...now that my job is remote im considering moving from SD to isabela PR and building a house. Lots look like a reasonable price about 5 mins from Jobos and from what I can tell its fairly safe.

Any tips for the trip? anyone know anyone who was moved down there before? Will I like the surf there much better than NCSD?

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Isabela is cool but I might be more tempted to be a little closer to aguadilla and rincon. Aguada is nice and has a nicer town in my opinion than isabela.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Why Puerto Rico?

never been in the summer, and it’s probably a more consistent area on that side of the Atlantic, but it’s still the Atlantic.

Apr 11, 2021
Very familiar with the area. Great surf in the winter, summer you’d rather be in ncsd (Surf and temp wise). I’d recommend renting for awhile, check out all the options and if you can see yourself living there.

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
Why Puerto Rico?

never been in the summer, and it’s probably a more consistent area on that side of the Atlantic, but it’s still the Atlantic.
warmth, slower pace of life, ability to actually buy a house, actual good waves compared to Socal seemingly. North County SD is crummy most of the time, beyond crowded, and impossible to not be a forever renter

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
Very familiar with the area. Great surf in the winter, summer you’d rather be in ncsd (Surf and temp wise). I’d recommend renting for awhile, check out all the options and if you can see yourself living there.
Probably would like to do half the year down there and then half the year or so in san diego, ive heard that summer in PR is basically flat and hot as hell. SD is basically flat too but unbeatable for the weather

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
The waves are definitely better than SoCal but you’ll be faced with more flat spells. The north side of island also gets plagued with difficult winds, but more consistent. That being said, even windy days are fun.

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
The waves are definitely better than SoCal but you’ll be faced with more flat spells. The north side of island also gets plagued with difficult winds, but more consistent. That being said, even windy days are fun.
should also mention I would be working california hours so like 1PM-9PM PR time, this would give me a way more surf flexibility than I get working the standard 8-5 that I am currently doing here.

hahah after living in the gold coast, santa cruz and san diego those places are all hard to beat in consistency and lack of flat spells. Quality is hard to be in SC and the gold coast

Reactions: manbearpig

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Visiting for a month in february and staying with a friend, haven't been in 20+ years...now that my job is remote im considering moving from SD to isabela PR and building a house. Lots look like a reasonable price about 5 mins from Jobos and from what I can tell its fairly safe.

Any tips for the trip? anyone know anyone who was moved down there before? Will I like the surf there much better than NCSD?
My guess is, maybe the Covid shitshow has dented the crowds some, but the reputation for at least 10 years has been nuclear packed.

The surf will be warmer than NCSD. The lefts I would assume will be worse. The aggro bodyboarder factor will be worse. I expect NCSD is better in summertime than PR, or at least the Jobos zone.

The island in general got abso-fucking-lutely clapped by Hurricane Maria. I heard lots of complaints over Christmas from friends building places in Florida. If you are building something South/East of the Keys, my assumption would be unless your last name is Castro or your current residence is Buckingham Palace, having something built will be an exercise in delay, upcharge, and overall frustration.

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
My guess is, maybe the Covid shitshow has dented the crowds some, but the reputation for at least 10 years has been nuclear packed.

The surf will be warmer than NCSD. The lefts I would assume will be worse. The aggro bodyboarder factor will be worse. I expect NCSD is better in summertime than PR, or at least the Jobos zone.

The island in general got abso-fucking-lutely clapped by Hurricane Maria. I heard lots of complaints over Christmas from friends building places in Florida. If you are building something South/East of the Keys, my assumption would be unless your last name is Castro or your current residence is Buckingham Palace, having something built will be an exercise in delay, upcharge, and overall frustration.
hahaha NCSD has limited lefts (except beachbreaks) and zero bodyboard factor at all. It is rare that I ever see a bodyboarder at any break outside the LJ reefs.

yep i figured the whole process would take probably 6-8 months. construction is concrete with rebar so not sure how supply chain has affected that.

Main motivation is a slower pace of life and ability to own a home, as it seems mainland USA has very limited options to be in a warm climate, near good surf where you can still not be forever renter unless you're rich. PR fits the bill as I likely can keep my job (we have a branch there) and there are no visas required.

Reactions: mundus

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
Last winter I went down during Covid and it was insanely crowded. Every time I go there I swear I'm not going back. Still do though. Its cheap and easy from here.
It’s cheap from here too. I paid 300 bones round trip from San Diego and it was even cheaper from LA I saw flights as low as $225.

crowds don’t phase me. San Diego is as crowded as it gets and you’re fighting from crap waves. I never even minded the crowds at snapper when it was firing either. Just want some quality surf and warm weather

Reactions: MathDebater
Apr 11, 2021
Like most places it gets crowded. The main spots are for sure, but even those spots have plenty of windows with light crowds. Lots of spots off of the beaten path get good with minimal crowd. Stay the course, you’re in for a great time.

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
Isabela is cool but I might be more tempted to be a little closer to aguadilla and rincon. Aguada is nice and has a nicer town in my opinion than isabela.
re Aguada, i wasn't there then but heard the hurricane Maria turned the town into
a puddle for months. rec somewhat elevated real estate.

Reactions: manbearpig