Post your Foil Pics HERE

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
Great White North eh! Actually Vancouver Island, so pretty mild, about the same as Washington/Oregon in winter. Still, here's an appropriately cold-looking shot from last year (which is kinda fakery, the zoom lens makes the Olympic mountains look a lot closer than they are). The water is chilly though, year-round but especially in Jan/Feb. [photo credit: @_dlaphotography]

winterfoil.JPG

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Do a sinker board start maybe? I've never tried behind a boat. Get on your board in a standing/squatting position. Boat goes very slow to start. Get the nose up, you should be able to pop up around 8 MPH I'd imagine.

Reactions: surfdad

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
Standard wakeboard /kiteboard start. Board needs to be on its side, so your feet are flat on it, right angle to boat. Easy if you have straps or hooks, as you can hold the board in place. If not, you need to hold board in position with one hand, hold bar with one hand, then once boat starts to pull and there's some surface tension, you can grab bar with other hand. From there it's same as regular wakeboard.

You can also get pulled on your belly, then get front knee up, then stand up ... awkward but it works. Or If your board has enough volume that you can kneel on it, you can start kneeling.

Funny, in that photo I thought you had the rope attached to your lifejacket....that would make for an interesting ride on a wipeout :)

• Haha
Reactions: surfdad
Aug 28, 2020
Hello all, rank newbie here. I started wake foiling 4 months ago and was hooked after my first session. So hooked that i bought a boat within a week and tried to get out at least 3 times a week all summer. My boat is small (13' Boston Whaler SS) so the wake is too. I figured if I can surf that little wake I will refine my technique so bigger waves will be a breeze. As it turned out that is pretty much true. My new friend that got me hooked has a 20' ski boat and lately I've been getting spoiled on his wake. I recently bought an Armstrong 4'-11" prone board and have had one session in the ocean. Spent the most of the session paddling around and not catching anything. I think I need to relearn surfing with a foiler's mindset as I spent too much time sitting outside waiting for sets when I should have been inside catching whitewater. I have a 5.5M hand wing coming tomorrow so I get to be a kook yet again and I love it. I'm about to turn 63 and foiling makes me feel like a 10 year old grom with a longboard I could barely carry.

I've enjoyed picking up knowledge from you guys so please keep it coming!

IMG_5246.JPGIMG_5254.JPGIMG_5285.JPG

Aug 28, 2020
Tried foiling behind a boat. Not as easy as I thought to get up. Did it like wakeboarding. Board horizontal in front of me and go slow to get up. Super front foot heavy. Any tips for next trip to river?
Mr. Juan has it right. For a regular foot, hold the rope handle in your right hand with left hand on the rail. Set your back foot, then front foot as the boat is idling forward. Once your feet are set, tell the driver OK and listen for the RPMs to go up. As soon as i hear the motor increase I put both hands on the handle. The driver should slowly accelerate - not pin it like for waterskiing. You want to rotate your hips to get the board parallel with the boat as soon as you can, and don't lean back against the rope.

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
Inside whitewater is the bread and butter.

It's a bit more pumping to get the bombs outside, but oh so satisfying to rip a big top turn before the wave has broken.

Reactions: radair