Possible move to Florida from CA

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I believe you.
I'm not a "gear" guy. I barely buy surfboards and even with those, I try to keep them pretty simple and don't geek out on new models.
Agreed. I took some kite lessons and this was one of the turnoffs. So much time spent loading and setting up on both ends. I could dig the wing setup though, looks a lot more simple :beer:

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Agreed. I took some kite lessons and this was one of the turnoffs. So much time spent loading and setting up on both ends. I could dig the wing setup though, looks a lot more simple :beer:

Part of the draw with surfing is the simplicity.

Yes, there are lots of variables. Wind, tide, swell, where to go, board, fins....
While this occupies my energy, it's not really present in the act.

In the end, what's in front of you is what's in front of you and you put a wetsuit or trunks on, paddle out, and do your thing. I don't swap fins very often. I regret it every time a bring more than one board. ALl that other stuff is a time suck that I, frankly, can't afford. Those that can, good for you.

Now. If I could rock up to some foil/kite gear all set up so I just clip in and clip out? I'd give it a shot.

TheEl

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 31, 2010
It is a place where people move to go insane, or move there and then struggle to maintain their sanity.
Hence the abundance of the "florida man".

Personally for 400k a year the risk is worth it. Plus if youre single youll most likely be drowning in pussy juice if its still the way I remember it. Take the money and run back to CA once you are done. It'll still be here.

Reactions: vanrysss

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
What I am finding is that the lest I have to do - the less I do. I need a purpose and this position could give me that purpose.
I totally get what you are saying. My father retired at 55 and bought a mountaintop farm in WV and a house in Florida. Between spending time at and running the three properties, WV in particular, he worked harder in retirement than he did while working. A little over a year ago at 78 he sold the WV property. Hindsight 20/20 he shouldn't have done that. It was that property that kept him focused, busy, driven and young. He's noticeably slowed down since selling it. Ya gotta keep busy with whatever it is that drives you.

Reactions: One-Off and Havoc

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Now. If I could rock up to some foil/kite gear all set up so I just clip in and clip out? I'd give it a shot.
Taking lessons is a good way to do that. They have all the gear and it's all set up for you. I recommend learning this way. It's just more fun and takes out half the hassle. Money well spent to see if you like it.

If you're doing prone surf foil like I posted in those instagram clips it's 90% of the time on 1 foil and 1 prone board. So if you have a van and can keep it put together all the time, it's no different than surfing. Just pull the foil board out and go in the water.

Reactions: grapedrink

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Casa Mugrienta is spot on about some of the shortcomings of Miami. At 56 you might not give a f--k but I'm with him on the vapid superficiality. West LA might as well be Wisconsin with how roots and down to Earth it is in comparison.

The vast majority of April-October you will be driving 1.5 hours to get dropped in on and murdered by sea lice/man-o-war (Juno Pier) or 3 hours to get dropped in on (Fort Pierce Inlet) or 3.5 hours to catch 30 closeouts and not see a makeable wave for weeks at a time (South Brevard) or 4 hours to surf soft longboard waves (Satellite Beach) or 5 hours to get dropped in on by all of Daytona, most of Orlando, and far more of Tampa than you expected (Ponce/Smyrna).

If you don't mind golf/tennis in the swelter, or you like fishing/snorkeling, that changes things dramatically.

I think El Salvador is the best choice for frequent flier miles. Works in Florida's off season, 2-ish hour flight, 30-45 minutes from airport to lineup. Winter will open up interesting options like the Bahamas, Puerto Rico, DR, VI, Barbados....

If you don't like hot/humid weather, or you have a serious problem with insects, I'd avoid it.

South Florida's Bahamas blocking IMHO is mostly analogous to lower Santa Barbara County. Specific winter angles and rando windswells are it.

I think I have 5 years more to give to something but moving to Florida scares me as much a Pascuales at 8-10 foot.
A word on being 56. Personally, I think there is slightly more time to get to your feet at Pascuales than the average wave between Spanish House and South Beach. There aren't that many El Porto-style closeouts where you can take off at a leisurely pace and pump twice, where, if the South Bay LOLs at the thought of you making the wave, it at least lets you in on your own terms.

South Brevard/Indian River/Central Palm Beach Counties, no such luck. You one-motion the pop-up/pump/tube tuck/bail, or you're getting lipped and bounced.

The exceptions to this are unbelievably crowded and/or surprisingly localized.

On the plus side if you can get down, into, and out of the average left at B-grade Central PB, every racey left on Earth that's named Impossibles you will be renaming "Literally all fucking day; this is the slowest and most workable wave I've surfed since my last trip here-ables".

Last edited:

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Part of the draw with surfing is the simplicity.

Yes, there are lots of variables. Wind, tide, swell, where to go, board, fins....
While this occupies my energy, it's not really present in the act.

In the end, what's in front of you is what's in front of you and you put a wetsuit or trunks on, paddle out, and do your thing. I don't swap fins very often. I regret it every time a bring more than one board. ALl that other stuff is a time suck that I, frankly, can't afford. Those that can, good for you.

for sure. Looks fun but all that gear and time. Tough call

id still try the florida move foil or no foil

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
id still try the florida move foil or no foil
You spent a month in late fall (admittedly a very weak one) and didn't even commit any time on your annual plan to Florida, pointedly leaving Jan/Feb open.

I have a blast surfing and riding my bike around the trails in North Florida. It's enough for me (after a couple years break-in period on the surf).

Someone with an Ikon pass driving his van from the Wasatch to California had better be really into bowhunting invasive swamp creatures or some sh!t. A mass of humanity shoved into a thin strip of swelter between an ocean and a swamp, with the sh!t they're living in and the ground it's built on collapsing back into both. The gnarliest elevation related hiking activity in Miami is probably a Stairmaster in front of a floor-to-ceiling window.

But honestly if you're into taking a fishing pole and bike and exploring, and making sure an alligator and/or a monitor lizard and/or a rattlesnake and/or a homeless guy on bath salts isn't fixin' ter eat yer, Dade is epic for that. Water everywhere with lots of it absolutely teeming. World-class species variety x land access combo.

That's awesome. Now you can afford the Ikon pass.

Florida has some sick pow.
Florida's sick pow costs a lot more than the Ikon pass. On the flip side, in Miami, if you can afford Florida's sick pow, and you're single, you might be able to afford a Venezuelan jiu-jitsu trainer.

If you would have spent mid-Nov to Dec in Florida, you would have thought you were in Central America surf-wise

It's been a rare fall, but this is what Satellite Beach, FL looked like yesterday:

https://www.gulfster.com/Daily/2022PictureGallery/satellite-beach-surf-121222/index.html

Sadly, I was not there
I think this has been kind of an average/slightly above average fall and this is more an indictment of Central America than an endorsement of Florida. It's kind of supposed to be consistently fun and also fire off completely in this window. You think it's been that much better than average? I feel like last year's headliner hurricanes were multiple day groundswell/offshore events with fun walls and these were weirdos, primarily weekday one-and-done-ish with exactly the wrong tide windows for M-F 9-5 folk even with a little lunch flexibility.

I feel like November is always good+ and 2/3 of the time December is good.

Unless you're four hours one way on I-95 from Satellite Beach; that's no goods.

Reactions: Rlacey111

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
hey @Sharkbiscuit I only left Florida off the itinerary based on the assumption we will be spending lots of time in vero every year, especially if my mom can survive all these major health incidents and live long like a Quaker should. They tend to be walking talking blue zones

i would lay even money that we actually own a home or condo somewhere around there, in 10-20 years, perhaps if we decide to sell Long Beach altogether and make Florida our US based home.

when I actually AM in my 60s, then I probably won’t have much tying me to Long Island, other than some good friends we can easily visit. Sell the house for 3x what we paid for it. Buy that home in Sea Oaks :cool:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Personally for 400k a year the risk is worth it. Plus if youre single youll most likely be drowning in pussy juice if its still the way I remember it. Take the money and run back to CA once you are done. It'll still be here.
In Miami with his age and income he would easily be the hunted, not the hunter.

Golddigging is just an accepted way of life.

FL is a lifetime alimony state.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
hey @Sharkbiscuit I only left Florida off the itinerary based on the assumption we will be spending lots of time in vero every year, especially if my mom can survive all these major health incidents and live long like a Quaker should. They tend to be walking talking blue zones

i would lay even money that we actually own a home or condo somewhere around there, in 10-20 years, perhaps if we decide to sell Long Beach altogether and make Florida our US based home.

when I actually AM in my 60s, then I probably won’t have much tying me to Long Island, other than some good friends we can easily visit. Sell the house for 3x what we paid for it. Buy that home in Sea Oaks :cool:
Another 10-20 years like the last 10-20 years and Sea Oaks is going to be a rubble pile in the shorebreak.

Mr Pecker

OTF status
Nov 6, 2021
I have many questions.

-Whats the relo package like? Shipping cars too? Include move back package if it shats the can?
-Does company currently have revenue or profit? If this is a CFO role all of the financials should be open book.
-vesting period on options?
-What is the funding? Private equity/venture? What are the names of the funding firms?
-Whats ur alma mater bro?
-Youre currently in CA.-What general region?
-Media/Tech company? We have a recession coming- you know what gets cut first.

Space coast to Pap Smyrna gets the most swell but its still total nonsense if youre coming from CA. Hillbillies sell boiled peanuts on the side of the road out to Canaveral- go spicy, they're great!
Gonna need some new hobbies that dont include gravity or snow. Got PR in the winter. Also, adore Cuban food and forget about taquerias. I like the renunciant plan - save hard for 3 years and retire if youre going to do it. Wait a minute, how old are you?

Not trying to be Doctor of Doom, just posing pertinent questions before you sign into this deal. However, I should mention that the fishing is great.

Reactions: mundus

INDTUBE

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 6, 2019
I have many questions.

-Whats the relo package like? Shipping cars too? Include move back package if it shats the can?
-Does company currently have revenue or profit? If this is a CFO role all of the financials should be open book.
-vesting period on options?
-What is the funding? Private equity/venture? What are the names of the funding firms?
-Whats ur alma mater bro?
-Youre currently in CA.-What general region?
-Media/Tech company? We have a recession coming- you know what gets cut first.

Space coast to Pap Smyrna gets the most swell but its still total nonsense if youre coming from CA. Hillbillies sell boiled peanuts on the side of the road out to Canaveral- go spicy, they're great!
Gonna need some new hobbies that dont include gravity or snow. Got PR in the winter. Also, adore Cuban food and forget about taquerias. I like the renunciant plan - save hard for 3 years and retire if youre going to do it. Wait a minute, how old are you?

Not trying to be Doctor of Doom, just posing pertinent questions before you sign into this deal. However, I should mention that the fishing is great.
Whats the relo package like? Shipping cars too? Include move back package if it shats the can? - Full relocation package - oneway.
-Does company currently have revenue or profit? If this is a CFO role all of the financials should be open book. Yes - $50M in Revenue and EBITDA positive but requires significant cap X.
-vesting period on options? - 3 years - but significant equity up front
-What is the funding? Private equity/venture? What are the names of the funding firms? - the Owner is a self made guy worth over $500M
-Whats ur alma mater bro? - Got my MBA from Thunderbird in Glendale, AZ
-Youre currently in CA.-What general region? - LA - Echo Park but I mostly surf in San Clemente
-Media/Tech company? We have a recession coming- you know what gets cut first. - Understood!

Interview went well but my god South Florida has gotta be the ugliest place on the planet (sorry to those that may live there) - Oppressive humidity and poured fricken rain the 2 days I was there. I'll be honest, I really like the head guy but am having sever reservations on moving there. Should know oneway or the other by next weeks - the other candidates are also very strong.

Reactions: keenfish

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
For that kind of cabbage just go do it and make a bunch.
Don't over think it. Take the money and run.
There are much uglier places like New Mexico and Omaha.

Reactions: Havoc