Portugal tips?

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
be ready for loads upon loads of eurokooks in ericeira. Sintra has some fun, probably windier beach breaks and is generally a bit prettier, less "surf" and more low key. Two days in Lisbon is enough.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I went in October 2019 and enjoyed it. My brother in law was living there for a 6 months or so, so it was helpful to have someone who spoke Portugese and already had ideas of where to go.

I enjoyed Lisbon a lot from a city stand point (read: food, architecture, entertainment, going out at night). AirBnB's were affordable and easy to use.We had 2 different spots and liked both of them. I didn't need a car in Lisbon. If you had a car you could get to Cascais zone from Lisbon with a car or train if you wanted to. It's a cool spot, but I didn't spend more than a few hours there.

Sintra is worth a wander. Old castles and stuff. Get there early for a parking spot.

Ereicera is cool. Easy to surf Lots of Euro dorks. Pretty sleepy.

Porto is pretty unreal for a few days as well.

I dodnt make it to Peniche. My back was wrecked so we skipped it.

Let me know if you want more info

Jul 4, 2020
The Cascais area is pretty awesome. Guincho is right there, and you can drive to pretty much anywhere. I stayed in that area for a month last year (mid-April to mid-May) and was all over the place: Ericeira, Nazare, Peniche, Costa da Caparica, and as far south as Praia da Bordeira. Portugal is amazing - definitely one of my favorite places I've ever been to, let alone surfed.

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
Algarve. Palm trees in Europe. Used as base to explore in a rental VW van (Seville to Gibralta). Octopus not my ‘go to’ meal but the Portuguese have it dialed in (if you enjoy garlic, parsley, etc). After 3-4 days of Portugal we headed for Spain but returned as return flight was out of Lisbon. Good areas but the trip was at the end of 1999 and we split because of the media (calendar change to the year 2000 was supposed to farkle all flight calendars, etc. Pure B.S.

Got home and had an email from my boss, had a ‘must attend’ directors meeting a couple weeks later in…. Lisbon. ‘Nuf said.

Jun 21, 2021
Best time to go is late fall and winter. The summer Nortada will ruin the surf in 80% of the summer days. Especially in the afternoons.

In winter. North of Lisbon can be wet and a bit depressing when the jetstream is on a southern track. But can be really good on days that the jetstream is pointing towards the UK. A nice mix of beach breaks and some reefs. Never to busy with tourits in winter since most Euros tend to come here in Summer en Fall and go skiing in winter. Although this is changing.

Lisbon is a great area to be for a few weeks. Around Sintra and Ericeira you will find some of the best spots of Portugal.

Once you're heading south towards the Algarve the weather is on its best. There is an epic (and nowadays crowded) point break in Arifana, some nice beach breaks around Carrapateira and Sagres. When a huge swell hits this part you can go south and find shelter on the Algarve south coast. North of Arrifana there are some good breaks to be found but these are maxed out easily when a serious winter swell kicks in.

Portugal isn't off the beaten track (anymore) and it gets busier and busier. But winters are still good and when you have time you will still enjoy the good life.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Go to Sagres, turn right... Period.

Say 'hi' to the chic renting rooms in town with the hot short short short shorts!

:dancing::crazy2:

Last edited:

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
I'm glad England lost the Eurocup,
At home in SOLD OUT TO THE BRIM Wembley,
After a bunch of hooligans busted down the fence to get in.

Not so glad that Spain, who clearly would have outclassed the English in a final,
Were sent to penalty kicks,
When Chelini's hand was a penalty itself.

Enjoy OUR Eurocup Italy.

:shameonyou: