Portugal, February

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
maybe Morocco is better? from what i've seen Portugal can be very wet windy and cold at that time of year, Morocco is like the Mexico of Europe. Maybe fly to Lisbon check it out see if the surf is good, in no then fly somewhere else. Was thinking of heading over that way sometime soon and doing the same thing

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
maybe Morocco is better? from what i've seen Portugal can be very wet windy and cold at that time of year, Morocco is like the Mexico of Europe. Maybe fly to Lisbon check it out see if the surf is good, in no then fly somewhere else. Was thinking of heading over that way sometime soon and doing the same thing
That's an idea I was kinda thinking about.

I never hear good stuff about Morocco.

People never talk about the waves. Just the Eurotrash.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
I'm not talking about reading or watching anything.

I'm talking face to face insight from well traveled people who have been there.
The Algarve region is supposedly nice in winter, far enough south to miss most of the Atlantic weather and still gets some swell. This is all 2nd hand info so take with a grain of salt.

Reactions: LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
That's an idea I was kinda thinking about.

I never hear good stuff about Morocco.

People never talk about the waves. Just the Eurotrash.
been only once to Maroc, shitty country but good surf. the landscape reminded me of Mex, lots of dirt and rocks everywhere. many Euros, would stay away from the taghazout area and head northwards. i've heard the south of portugal is nice in winter too, maybe not as good surf but better options on land.

• Haha
Reactions: SurfFuerteventura

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I scored some good surf in Marroco. We ferried over from Portugal, took buses and taxis around. On one bus ride along the coast we spied a reef going off. We calculated time and distance and as soon as we got off the bus and took a taxi back north. We had to take turns surfing because we didn't want to leave all our stuff on the beach unattended. I went first. It was head high to slightly overhead, dredgy reef. The water was murky so I couldn't tell what the bottom was like or how deep/shallow it was. I surfed very conservatively for an a hour or so then got out to let my friend have a go. When he paddled out the tide seemed to just drain and exposed twenty yards of dry reef. He had a hell of a time getting in. It was like the rock had hard veins and the rest of the rock eroded away so only the veins were sticking up. Kind of like walking on razor blades. It took him over a half hour to crawl over the rocks.

I'm sure you'll find surf in eiither Portugal or Marrocco.

I've never travelled and booked stuff ahead (except now with campgrounds). I like spontaneity and adventure. I've slept in train stations and on the beach. But usually you find something.

I think Portugal in February will be like Nor Cal in February. Marrocco will be like Southern California.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
mOrroco? Y dat place's muslim.

Go dere and your shure to get converted to Johnny Walker rebel islamic warrior status.

Steer clear!

Better to go to Port-U-Gal.... Where the girl's horse faces are quickly (glazed and covered) over (with) CUM by the meer sight of their buxom bee Hinds.

:dancing::shrug::dancing:

Barracuda

OTF status
Mar 30, 2013
Portuguese here- windy and cold for the most part, pack a good suit, even if youre in the south. You can get away a bit from the crowds if the swell is small enough for the exposed places to work but as soon as its big and the sheltered corners work its packed. Crowds here are crap and full of inland europeans with no clue.