Pollard Twin

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
Unpossible! Alkali invented that template! No one was placing fins that far back until recently!

Mar 2, 2019
Is that tail rocker and concave on a 70's shortboard? Your's Greg? Looks like a modern retro. Bet it surfs great!

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
Ha
I bought those rubber ridge panels and put them on my board after reading about them in that article.
Didn't know it was Jim Richardson who designed it. Is this the same Jim Richardson of Surflight? If so no wonder I was drawn to his tech in the 2000's 30 years later.

According to Geoff, Fluid Foils was a decal/label used by Shane Surfboards from about 1977-8 for models shaped by Jim Pollard, primarily single fins, but all channel bottom designs.

Jim was originally inspired to try shaping channel bottoms by an article called ''Groove Ridge Theory'' by Jim Richardson and Art Shafer from the USA that was possibly printed in either Surfer or Surfing magazine circa 1975.
It detailed experiments using flexible polyurethane rubber ridges stuck to the bottom of surfboards and concluded that they improved lift and increased directional stability across a range of designs and lengths.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
My brother took it and won't give it back
It's his new daily driver alternating between that and your old 9' thruster
He said the 9'0 makes him realize how weak his legs are from surfing short boards.
He likes that he can pretty much catch anything he wants and now has to aware of not becoming a wave hog. Hopefully I'll get my chance next month or so when he tires of it.
like that new hovercraft twinzer concept makes more send than switching to keels