Political Meme Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
do you keep the current place and rent it out or do you sell?
I've got options. House is about paid off. I want to live someplace warmer with better surf and fishing. Houses where I live now sell for stupid money. My lot is a double lot so the potential is to tear my house down and build two single family houses in its place os sell it to a developer who will do exactly that. Each new house would list for $1.3 right now. Could rent it out as a vacation rental (not a lot of interest in that). One of my kids might be interested in the place too. Lots of options.

austard

Michael Peterson status
Nov 12, 2009
State of Grace
I've got options. House is about paid off. I want to live someplace warmer with better surf and fishing. Houses where I live now sell for stupid money. My lot is a double lot so the potential is to tear my house down and build two single family houses in its place os sell it to a developer who will do exactly that. Each new house would list for $1.3 right now. Could rent it out as a vacation rental (not a lot of interest in that). One of my kids might be interested in the place too. Lots of options.
I like the sand dune system of the island I assume you live on. Did those sand dunes help protect against hurricane Sandy?
or Did they offer no help, all beach front homes inundated?

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I like the sand dune system of the island I assume you live on. Did those sand dunes help protect against hurricane Sandy?
or Did they offer no help, all beach front homes inundated?
The dunes did their job I'd say. In Hurricane Sandy we were about 12 miles south of where the eye came ashore. That doesn't sound like much but I believe it made a huge difference for us here. It was a totally different scene on the North side of where the eye came ashore. I'm about 20 miles as the crow flies from the town of Holgate which was devastated by the north side of the eye wall and then further up the coast places like Seaside Heights, Ortley Beach, Mantaloking and other towns got hammered. I'm on the widest part of this Island and I'm located 3/4 of the way back to the bay. Wave action likely won't ever reach where I'm at. My issue here was the back bay flooding. The waterline in my first floor was 41 inches off of the floor.

I've read up quite a bit on past storms and hurricanes to hit New Jersey and the North East and I know that in the grander scheme of things Sandy was actually a minor storm. There were more powerful storms that hit this region between 1900 and 1944 but the difference was back then these barrier islands were pretty sparsely developed compared to what they are today and the development back then tended to be on the highest ground of these barrier islands.

In 1944 this was all that was left of the bridge into Brigantine. Let that sink in.

Capture.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: austard

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I wouldn't sell....use it to make money. it's hard when it's (been) the family home, but for the kids to have access to it later on would be huge. I bet you could borrow against the house and pay mortgage on a new place with your rental income...a second house for free, basically.

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
around the mid-nineties i sold 705-707 3rd. St. for 93K.
wish i hadn't...

• Wow
Reactions: afoaf
Status
Not open for further replies.