Poast your strenf training program

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Good genetics are helpful.
Many of the old time strongmen turned to physical training after debilitating childhood illnesses/accidents.

Reactions: slipped_disc

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Many of the old time strongmen turned to physical training after debilitating childhood illnesses/accidents.

That doesn't undermine my assertion.

I've trained with guys with good genetics.

Life is not fair.

That doesn't mean you don't train.

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
You want to research something interesting Google "Bronze Age Bodybuilding." Late 1800's to early 1900's.

Some of those guys were ripped beasts. No steroids available and no PhotoShop etc. Many of them used very light dumb bells. Up to a hundred reps. Some of them were doing full body workouts 6 days a week. Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth...

Living in the industrial revolution will do wonders for yer strength.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Average testosterone levels in young men have declined over 20% since the 90's.

Who knows how low it is in comparison to what was walking around in in the late 1800's.

Bottom line, you are not the men your fathers were.

If we took those old pictures and colorized them, everyone would be going "He's juicing."

Only there was no "juice" available back then.

But that's slightly off subject. What I found interesting was the ultra light weights and super high rep full body 6 day a week workouts.

No doubt we'd all be "overtrained" if we tried that.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth

Who knows how low it is in comparison to what was walking around in in the late 1800's.

If we took those old pictures and colorized them, everyone would be going "He's juicing."

But that's slightly off subject. What I found interesting was the ultra light weights and super high rep full body 6 day a week workouts.

Word. Im pretty sure I read Pavel say they also did lots of heavy singles/practiced their stage lifts/feats of strength periodically throughout the day.

That and a pretty common thread in their backgrounds is manual labor.

“Cyr’s childhood was spent in the informal acts of strength training found in pushing, pulling, chopping and lifting hay, wood or whatever else was to hand.Gymnasiums had yet to become popularised and strength acts, although in existence, were not commonplace. Farmwork and lumberjacking were still the best means of acquiring strength and muscle, something Cyr did with a great enthusiasm.”

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
All that info is available with a little searching. Some of them claimed to use 10 pound dumbells and a kind of dynamic tension approach. Isometrics even.
Sandow was reportedly 5'8" - 5'9", 185 at what looks to be 10% bodyfat.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point

The big variable is how adaptable the human organism if you give it time adapt.

I did my best work in the gym going hard 45 minutes 6 days a week.

I could tell my body loved that.

I tried everything.

That was the best for me.

I always hated endurance work because it was boring.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
And yet, look at what he's accomplished.
He deadlifts. It is perfectly safe for your back. His take on hang and power cleans is dumb. First of all, they're less safe than a deadlift because they're done faster and are more likely to injure the wrist or shoulder. Second, they don't accomplish what is claimed:

They're useful if you're an Olympic lifter which is heavily skill-dependent, so practicing a subset or weak aspect of the clean and jerk or snatch makes sense.

Reactions: tacos

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I always hated endurance work because it was boring.
I'm the opposite. For me moving the barbell is boring. Running on the beach is enjoyable. Running/hiking on trails is enjoyable.

I've been adding a second strength day, but it's light weights to near failure. I remember Von M recommended doing sets of 25 overhead presses with light weight. I remember trying one with the empty bar thinking ti woudl be easy and I couldn't make it. Now I can. Barely. So my light day is 3 sets to near failure of pull ups, push ups, standing rows and overhead presses. And curls for giggles.

On the other side of the equation I do two to three runs a week. One is a 4 mile easy run with my daughter, one is 4 miles with four 100-200 yard sprints and stair climbs mixed in and one is 13+ miles. Last week I did 16 and this Friday I'm going to to do 18.

I'm only doing all this because the surf has sucked...otherwise surf takes precedence over everything..

Last edited:
Reactions: tacos

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
He deadlifts. It is perfectly safe for your back. His take on hang and power cleans is dumb. First of all, they're less safe than a deadlift because they're done faster and are more likely to injure the wrist or shoulder. Second, they don't accomplish what is claimed:

They're useful if you're an Olympic lifter which is heavily skill-dependent, so practicing a subset or weak aspect of the clean and jerk or snatch makes sense.
I like power cleans. They give a novel stimulus that other exercises don’t. However they are lower priority than the big 4.

Reactions: PRCD

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I like power cleans. They give a novel stimulus that other exercises don’t. However they are lower priority than the big 4.
If you like them, do them. No one is saying they have no benefit. I don't like them because - frankly -my anthropometry is so unfavorable to olympic lifts (long legs, short torso, German hips). My best advice is to be Slavic
1666382541635.png

Good talk between Dave Tate and Mike Israetel on program design:

Reactions: grapedrink

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
The power aspect to them really wakes things up. But like I said, basics first.

I’ve been going ass to grass on squats lately and my lower back and hips feel a lot better.
Training QUADZ at home is difficult. I've found it easier to load quads with split squats. I'm going to order a 10 degree slant board and a cambered bar to see if I can make back squats upright-enough to load my quadz better.

I can see what bodybuilders use the leg press.

Reactions: grapedrink

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
so anyone crack the code on strength training and surfing? i gave up on strength training while surfing as i felt too gassed out to enjoy my sessions. going to start up again maybe 1-2x a week max since i surf 3x a week.

Reactions: Autoprax

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
so anyone crack the code on strength training and surfing? i gave up on strength training while surfing as i felt too gassed out to enjoy my sessions. going to start up again maybe 1-2x a week max since i surf 3x a week.
Surfing adds systemic fatigue. You probably need less volume and more frequent de-loads. If your coach isn't fixing your programming, fire him. Poast your strenf program. Don't keep us guessing.