Poast your strenf training program

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Tweeked my left shoulder (AGAIN) two weeks ago doing bench press with 45 lb dumbells. Kind of a bummer after being pain free for a year. Nothing bad but enough that I haven't lifted weights since. Was doing the reps quickly and can't point to an instant when I actually hurt it but woke up the next day with it low grade aching and it has ever since. Thinking its tendonitis or impingement. I largely credit hanging from a pull-up bar and weight lifting for resolving my prior shoulder issues and then over-did it just one time. Thankfully this is minor and hasn't effected surfing. Only thing it seems to effect is sleeping.

• Haha
Reactions: LifeOnMars

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
I remember lifting that weight as a twink in high school

you're a grown man pushing 200lbs

lightweight
The difference is that he’s older and probably has some level of chronic inflammation due to diet. The body doesn’t repair itself as well when it’s under attack by whatever is triggering the inflammation.

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Tweeked my left shoulder (AGAIN) two weeks ago doing bench press with 45 lb dumbells. Kind of a bummer after being pain free for a year. Nothing bad but enough that I haven't lifted weights since. Was doing the reps quickly and can't point to an instant when I actually hurt it but woke up the next day with it low grade aching and it has ever since. Thinking its tendonitis or impingement. I largely credit hanging from a pull-up bar and weight lifting for resolving my prior shoulder issues and then over-did it just one time. Thankfully this is minor and hasn't effected surfing. Only thing it seems to effect is sleeping.
Did you slowly work up to that weight? How many reps were you doing?

Do you do overhead presses? I think OHP puts the shoulder in a position that somewhat mimics the forward reaching when paddling, which is where I think most shoulder issues arise. Maybe Dr. VonMeister can comment when he returns from his vactaion with Afoaf. If you don't do them I'd add them.

I also do these . I don't have a bench, so I do them standing, hinged at the hips. This adds lower back stress which is something that happens during paddling.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
Tweeked my left shoulder (AGAIN) two weeks ago doing bench press with 45 lb dumbells.
Was doing the reps quickly
I remember lifting that weight as a twink in high school

you're a grown man pushing 200lbs

lightweight
My routine was five sets of 15 reps with the 45s as part of my workout. On the day I hurt myself I was doing 15 rep sets very quickly specifically on the way up. As the speed of the reps was the only thing I did differently that day, that's how I think I hurt it.
I'm a 53 year old who is 190 pounds now......down from 218 a year ago through hard work in the gym. I honestly haven't tried benching heavier weights since I was in college. Given the shoulder and elbow issues I've had since 2017 I'm happy to be able to lift or surf at all.

Reactions: PRCD

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Gromsdad check for rehab exercises for shoulders
I am not a doctor
But the most common exercises have helped my shoulders a bunch of times

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
Gromsdad check for rehab exercises for shoulders
I am not a doctor
But the most common exercises have helped my shoulders a bunch of times
Believe be, I've done them all and the #1 thing that helped me after a couple of years of suffering was simply hanging from a pull up bar. The #2 has been holding the heaviest dumbbells I can tolerate at my sides with my palms facing foreword and swinging them gently.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
Believe be, I've done them all and the #1 thing that helped me after a couple of years of suffering was simply hanging from a pull up bar. The #2 has been holding the heaviest dumbbells I can tolerate at my sides with my palms facing foreword and swinging them gently.
If it’s impingement, and it sounds a lot like impingement, addressing the cause of the impingement may be the best course of action, in addition to looking into why your body may not be repairing itself as well as it could. A lot of paddling can cause an imbalance in shoulder development, for example, so working on mussels that are relatively underdeveloped in the shoulders could restore overall balance.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
If it’s impingement, and it sounds a lot like impingement, addressing the cause of the impingement may be the best course of action, in addition to looking into why your body may not be repairing itself as well as it could. A lot of paddling can cause an imbalance in shoulder development, for example, so working on mussels that are relatively underdeveloped in the shoulders could restore overall balance.
Biggest issue for me is I spend 8 or 9 hours a day sitting at a computer or driving. Shoulders rounding forward.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Biggest issue for me is I spend 8 or 9 hours a day sitting at a computer or driving. Shoulders rounding forward.
Not sure if a standing desk is possible for you but they can help, especially if you can mix it up and sit for a while and stand for a while

if you ca adjust your seat, recline a little less than you think is comfortable

people get in my drivers seat and are like wtf, man?
But it’s better for you

averagejoe

Miki Dora status
May 28, 2008
So far away
www.mardawg.com
My routine was five sets of 15 reps with the 45s as part of my workout. On the day I hurt myself I was doing 15 rep sets very quickly specifically on the way up. As the speed of the reps was the only thing I did differently that day, that's how I think I hurt it.
I'm a 53 year old who is 190 pounds now......down from 218 a year ago through hard work in the gym. I honestly haven't tried benching heavier weights since I was in college. Given the shoulder and elbow issues I've had since 2017 I'm happy to be able to lift or surf at all.
Old guys (myself included @50) are volume sensitive and intensity dependent. You’re doing too light a weight at too many reps for too many sets. 3-4 sets with 6-10 reps.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
There a 5-3-1 program I picked up on r/fitness that’s been working well for this old guy

I mean I really don’t think of myself as old, but according to the ages mentioned, for the sake of this thread I guess you guys consider me old

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Old guys (myself included @50) are volume sensitive and intensity dependent. You’re doing too light a weight at too many reps for too many sets. 3-4 sets with 6-10 reps.
Even older (61). I do 3 warm up sets- one set of 5 or 6, adding weight each time, until I get to my "working sets," which I start at 3x5. When I can do them with no DOMS, then I add reps. When I get to 3x10, then I add weight and start back at 3x5. Very, very slow progression over the last year and half. I am not doing heavy weights and have kind of stalled. But I've no big number goals, just doing something, which is better than nothing. Not scientific at all. No gym, no coach, minimal equipment. All I did was read "Barbell Prescription" and watched Rippitoe's "Starting Strength" video for form instruction ... and, to be honest, paid attention to everything Von Meister wrote on the lower back pain thread because it sounds like he knows this sh!t.

Last edited:
Reactions: PRCD

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014

I thought light weights more reps was what us middle age and older guys are supposed to do????

Not sure if a standing desk is possible for you but they can help, especially if you can mix it up and sit for a while and stand for a while

We have a few of them at my office but when you're 6'1 now you're towering over the people in adjacent cubicals which is kind of weird. If I was 5'6 that would be no issue.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I don't think there's anything wrong with your shoulder other than you did too much volume too fast and the work exceeded your pain tolerance (protect by pain line) which depends a lot on if you have an old injury there.
1663455699149.png

If there was a real injury you would've felt it right away and heard something. Very likely you did not exceed the tissue tolerance but did exceed the pain tolerance.

Anyways, you're definitely strong for your age. I'd slow down the negative and pause at the bottom for 1 second and see if that helps.