Poast your strenf training program

goingoutside

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 7, 2016
All you need to do is surf, and surf hard.

Two or three times a week for 2 or 3 hours each time.

Simple, and if the surf is too small or flat, paddle for an hour or 2.

In between times do some push-ups, chin-ups and simple body weight exercises.

...I am goingoutside now...no need for anything else...except you, a surfboard and...maybe some wax....

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Using the hypertrophy program for the first time. I did flies correctly and it feels like I've had breast augmentation surgery.

I think the only difference between hypertrophy training and bodybuilding is that in bodybuilding you train biceps, delts, and calves and use the leg press.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
All you need to do is surf, and surf hard.

Two or three times a week for 2 or 3 hours each time.

Simple, and if the surf is too small or flat, paddle for an hour or 2.

In between times do some push-ups, chin-ups and simple body weight exercises.

...I am goingoutside now...no need for anything else...except you, a surfboard and...maybe some wax....
How old are you? I think as you get older you're best off adding more strength work beyond body weight. I was doing what you describe and injured my back.

Reactions: Ifallalot

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I need to get stong to do body weight exerszies

I just got to where I can do dips again (5 reps) using a dip machine.

goingoutside

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 7, 2016
How old are you? I think as you get older you're best off adding more strength work beyond body weight. I was doing what you describe and injured my back.
I am over 60.

About.... "adding more strength work beyond body weight." Seems there are a few different methods and schools of thought on this matter.

From my point of view for surfing, it is, train to surf. And try to keep things really simple.

I can go to any park playground around where I live and find something to chin-up with or do some push-up around etc.

and find a open field and do a few wind-sprints.

I have never lifted "weights" etc. Never felt the need, but if it helps someone go for it, just don't get hurt over-doing it.

I reckon one could get hurt doing body-weight exercises just as easy as someone doing dead-lifts....

If you don't mind my asking, how did you hurt your back? Any specific exercise?

....I am goingoutside now....it's September already...ooh! ...only got a few weeks to get in shape for winter!.....

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I am over 60.

About.... "adding more strength work beyond body weight." Seems there are a few different methods and schools of thought on this matter.

From my point of view for surfing, it is, train to surf. And try to keep things really simple.

I can go to any park playground around where I live and find something to chin-up with or do some push-up around etc.

I have never lifted "weights" etc. Never felt the need, but if it helps someone go for it, just don't get hurt over-doing it.

I reckon one could get hurt doing body-weight exercises just as easy as someone doing dead-lifts....

....I am goingoutside now....it's September already...ooh! ...only got a few weeks to get in shape for winter!.....
I was just like you- training for surf? Surf! Duh. Then I got injured and started reading a lot. Decided I needed to add in strength training. And as the deadlift cult here insists and my research confirms, the barbell is the most efficient way. Not the only way, just the most efficient, the most bang for you buck (buck being time and effort). Sarcopenia will set in no matter what, so try to get a little head start on the fight against it.

I just ran across this-

"Furthermore, recent work showing that short high-intensity exercise can lead to endurance adaptations and low-load exercise that approaches failure can lead to strength adaptations has challenged our understanding of which type of exercise results in which phenotypic shift in muscle."

• Love
Reactions: PRCD

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Seems like a lot of the older guys stop surfing simply because they get weaker. Obviously strength training combats this.

Reactions: One-Off

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
Seems like a lot of the older guys stop surfing simply because they get weaker. Obviously strength training combats this.
surfing alone will not keep you in shape, not in my part of the world. if you're over 50 and not doing something - every day, imho - to stay in shape, you're gonna have trouble keeping up whenever we do get waves. i think cardio is as important as strength training, at this point in life.

i was at a funeral for a surfer the other day, talking to another guy about my age (62)....said he hasn't been out in two years, which made me think he's probably done. there's a point of no return...it doesn't have to be this way, but most guys just let it go, at some point. i don't know where that point is for me and i'm not looking forward to finding out.

Reactions: Ifallalot

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
surfing alone will not keep you in shape, not in my part of the world. if you're over 50 and not doing something - every day, imho - to stay in shape, you're gonna have trouble keeping up whenever we do get waves. i think cardio is as important as strength training, at this point in life.

i was at a funeral for a surfer the other day, talking to another guy about my age (62)....said he hasn't been out in two years, which made me think he's probably done. there's a point of no return...it doesn't have to be this way, but most guys just let it go, at some point. i don't know where that point is for me and i'm not looking forward to finding out.
It's never too late. Your body will always respond to overload, it just won't respond as well as when you were younger. If one exercise bothers you, there are a million alternatives. Aches and pains are what slow a lot of guys down too. Somatics. You really have to have a strength and mobility plan.

• Love
Reactions: santacruzin

sussle

Oct 11, 2009
It's never too late. Your body will always respond to overload, it just won't respond as well as when you were younger. If one exercise bothers you, there are a million alternatives. Aches and pains are what slow a lot of guys down too. Somatics. You really have to have a strength and mobility plan.
i meant a mental point of no return. sure, this guy could get himself back into surfing shape, probably pretty quick, since he had it, once upon a time...but he's not going to. i could tell by talking to him. c'est la vie.

• Wow
Reactions: PRCD

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Agreed.

And surfing too much is also bad for you.

Overuse injuries on shoulders cripple a lot of surfers around here, where long paddles at Points are common.

• Haha
Reactions: LifeOnMars

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Agreed.

And surfing too much is also bad for you.

Overuse injuries on shoulders cripple a lot of surfers around here, where long paddles at Points are common.
Guy I know in his 70's that is still surfing told me, "If you want to surf for a long time, don't surf for a long time." He meant no more three hour+ sessions. I will only have three hour sessions when it is really good. Otherwise it's under two hours.

But yeah, if I imagine the day when I can't surf anymore, it is the neck/shoulder thing that will get me. Or the back. I've been surfing my 6-0 and the dynamics of the pop up on the little board leaves me with a sore back after surfing even for one hour.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
I'd argue that strength training prevents injury in older surfers, and that core work and flexibility work are essential. I've also found recently how important diet is. I'd get so achy and sore in a long swell that I would take anti-inflammatories like Advil. Then I discovered that the chronic inflammation was caused by a diet too high in lectins, even though it was widely considered a healthy diet. Total game changer.

Reactions: One-Off

sussle

Oct 11, 2009
Guy I know in his 70's that is still surfing told me, "If you want to surf for a long time, don't surf for a long time." He meant no more three hour+ sessions. I will only have three hour sessions when it is really good. Otherwise it's under two hours.
yup, i've learned that one...there's a point in an extended session where the spirit may be still willing but the body needs a rest. best to listen, particularly if you have a second session in mind for the day. and often the second session is noticeably less productive. anymore, i'm just happy to be out there :waving:

on a side note, every now and then, one of the local groms will tell me i got a nice wave - it's pathetic but it makes my day :cheers:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
yup, i've learned that one...there's a point in an extended session where the spirit may be still willing but the body needs a rest. best to listen, particularly if you have a second session in mind for the day. and often the second session is noticeably less productive. anymore, i'm just happy to be out there :waving:

on a side note, every now and then, one of the local groms will tell me i got a nice wave - it's pathetic but it makes my day :cheers:
I just surfed 3-1/2 hours. :foreheadslap: I didn't listen to my elders. Shoulder is throbbing now. TIme for some vitamin I.

On a side note, I caught up to and pased a guy who dropped in on me. He came later and apologized and said he was amazed how fast I was going. I showed him the twinzers but he dismissed the board...

Last edited:

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
I am over 60.

I fucked up my elbow doing a bunch of pull ups after not doing any while I was out of the gym for a year and a half
id been doing other stuff for a while after returning to the gym, but the first time I did pull ups, that was it
Probably tendonitis
trying to rehab it for 2 months now

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I am over 60.

You’re the fucking poster child mate for what these cats been laying down forever now. Bunch of ex gymnasts turned PTs. They specialize in getting old farts like us more athletic and/or recovered from injuries. I really need to apply myself and do one of their full programs.

Just by fucking with the rings using their philosophy I was able to do 5 solid neutral grip ring pull ups this am and a got up into and more importantly down from a legit especially for my age inverted pike.
48364552-DCD3-47ED-88B4-B6150AEE9A69.jpeg

And you 100% can HURT YOURSELF(the rings etc didn’t hurt you lol) if you overtrain or especially of you do not follow the progressions. Ask me how I know.

Me. Feeling like a stud today. I bet I’m ready for muscle ups etc because I’m the man.

Rings. No, no you’re not.

If you get lucky you don’t hurt yourself too bad or even at all learning this lesson in humility and from then on just follow the progressions. That’s what they’re there for.
Also the rings are fun as af just to mess around.

Here’s some stupid circus sh!t that totally doesn’t look like the funnest thing ever.
Not to mention the ridiculously talented, athletic and as a result? super foxy females.

Last edited: