Poast your strenf training program

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
What's GPP VM?
General Physical Preparedness.

For most it's 90 minutes of exercise per week with a heart rate between 120-130. If you are an active adult you should add some degree of high intensity work as well. I alternate between pushing a sled, hill sprints (long enough hill to take 15-30 seconds to get up and around a minute or two to walk down) and doing 20 seconds balls to the wall / 100 seconds rest on the rogue echo bike. All high impact stuff is done as many consecutive times as you can handle within reason. Usually it's around 8-12 depending on the day. High intensity training is great for surfing because the nature of surfing is sprint (paddling for wave scratching for duck dive or shoulder) and low intensity (ridding or paddling back out). It also does wonders fro lung capacity for beatdowns.

• Dislike
Reactions: PRCD

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
General Physical Preparedness.

For most it's 90 minutes of exercise per week with a heart rate between 120-130. If you are an active adult you should add some degree of high intensity work as well. I alternate between pushing a sled, hill sprints (long enough hill to take 15-30 seconds to get up and around a minute or two to walk down) and doing 20 seconds balls to the wall / 100 seconds rest on the rogue echo bike. All high impact stuff is done as many consecutive times as you can handle within reason. Usually it's around 8-12 depending on the day. High intensity training is great for surfing because the nature of surfing is sprint (paddling for wave scratching for duck dive or shoulder) and low intensity (ridding or paddling back out). It also does wonders fro lung capacity for beatdowns.
THis is what comes up as the second search result in every search engine for GPP. My thread is not for spoon-feeding dum dums. He's probably going to reply with some humble-brag about how he cleared brush or fed his goats.
"1659285174415.png

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Fair enough, I actually saw the post below as soon as I asked.

No, I was painting a house all weekend.

Felt like a pretty good workout.

averagejoe

Miki Dora status
May 28, 2008
So far away
www.mardawg.com
Most high level athletes have very limited time in the offseason to strength train. The good news is these genetic freaks get very strong very fast. The rest of the time they are preparing for the season...dialing in diet, working on GPP etc. Once the season starts it's diet and practice.

I don't consider myself a weightlifter or an athlete. I'm a guy who understands the benefit of strength training but it resides inside my lifestyle. I don't live my life around it. Fundamentally a barbell is the most basic yet most efficient to build strength. All the other bullshit like kettlebells and stupid human tricks strength is a byproduct. if you want to stronger, strength training should be specific. My time is important to me and I'm looking to get the most bang for a buck as possible. Plus I don't run gear so the program social media influencers promote won't work for me.
When I got interested in strength training I did a bunch of digging and research about it (duh) and found that someone had posted a copy of the Houston Texans Fitness guide online. I have it in pdf if anyone can tell me how to post it?

Attachments

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
When I got interested in strength training I did a bunch of digging and research about it (duh) and found that someone had posted a copy of the Houston Texans Fitness guide online. I have it in pdf if anyone can tell me how to post it?
The needs of a high level genetic freak athletic are different than averagejoes. Anything and everything works for them as they are very sensitive to stimulation.

averagejoe

Miki Dora status
May 28, 2008
So far away
www.mardawg.com
The needs of a high level genetic freak athletic are different than averagejoes. Anything and everything works for them as they are very sensitive to stimulation.
I don’t think the info in the pdf contradicts most of the concepts you present. It actually seems pretty consistent with a lot of info and opinion you’ve shared.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I had a training partner who was strong and trained hard.

Then he would disappear for 4 months to live on the street and do meth.

When he came back to the gym all skinny I would be way stronger than him.

And he would shoot pass me in a month of hard training.

It was funny to watch.

Training with someone like this was great for your training.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
I had a training partner who was strong and trained hard.

Then he would disappear for 4 months to live on the street and do meth.

When he came back to the gym all skinny I would be way stronger than him.

And he would shoot pass me in a month of hard training.

It was funny to watch.

Training with someone like this was great for your training.
I find it annoying. I trained with some kids from Tonga in the summer who were on a local football team. Their squat goes up by just tying their shoes. I swear there are no better athletes on earth than Pacific Islander. 300 plus pounds and run like the wind.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I find it annoying. I trained with some kids from Tonga in the summer who were on a local football team. Their squat goes up by just tying their shoes. I swear there are no better athletes on earth than Pacific Islander. 300 plus pounds and run like the wind.
Imagine a race (Polynesians) that propagated by making opposed beach landings, killing the native men and reproducing with the best women while enslaving the rest or they die.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
One of my female students was a Pacific Islander.

She was giant.

She did the shot put and javelin.

This girl was like the coolest chick ever.

One of the payoff of teaching is you get to meet some great young people.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Renaissance Periodization is top-tier S&C advice. I finished SPOST. Going to buy SPOHT. Their programs are amazing.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Renaissance Periodization is top-tier S&C advice. I finished SPOST. Going to buy SPOHT. Their programs are amazing.
Chad Smith is as good a coach as you will find and his techniques work. There are always limits to training via app and usually the app template developers make template changes based on time, not actual training results..which is necessary. If someone is serious about their training it would be better to start with something very basic and make minor adjustments based on results. Sometimes adjustments take weeks to manifest themselves and then your training all of a sudden takes off. Using an app sometimes before you reap the benefits of an adjustment you are already moving to a different block. If you use a RP coach or any coach for instance you will get the benefits of being trying to potential instead of trained to block. I know you've got your head around training so my only advice for what its worth would be to give yourself time to adapt so you don't miss something that turns out to be really special.

If you follow Baraki on instagram..this is a guy whose run essentially the same program for years. No resets..minor adjustments in accessory work but the guts remain the same. He's an ant. He doesn't skip days and is consistent in his training. My takeaway from him is that he doesn't look at short term improvement as a goal because life isn't short. Remain constant and improvement will follow. The phrase "People overestimate what they can do in the short term and under estimate what they can do in the long term" is good life advice. Consistency, not complexity is the goal.

Reactions: Havoc and PRCD

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Baraki posted this a couple hours ago on a bench press video.

View attachment 135391
you definitely need to auto-regulate to decide when to switch to hypertrophy or strength. Much of the autoregulation comes from performance feedback. Israetel has, however, convinced me of the need for deload whether or not you feel like you need it.