Poast your strenf training program

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Bodybuilders are not known for their cardio.

I would think that would make them not swim so good.

Last edited:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I'm reading, "Scientific Principles of Strength Training" by Israetel et al. It's a great book if the print quality sucks. It helps to imagine Israetel's reading it to you, so watch a podcast he's on. Unlike other books, Israetel prioritizes and discusses the components of strength training according to their significance. The chapter on fatigue mgmt is long but necessary for an intermediate and advanced lifter. If I'd had this book 10 years ago, I'd have gotten to a 500 lb squat last time I really pushed my strength.

I'm probably going to try one of Renaissance Periodization's intermediate strength programs if they have one. The BBM Bridge program is good but it seems like it's trying to eventually peak you for a meet. You can run it consecutively treating the first and 5th weeks as a deload due to the low volume but as I get stronger, I find that those weeks don't provide enough deload - I need to back off on the intensity as well. Ideally you'd have a work:deload ratio of 3:1 - 4:1 at an intermediate level, especially when you're surfing as well.

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
so what have all u strength duu's been doing that allows u to make strength gains and still surf. i stopped strength training 8 months ago bc it kept interfering with my limited surf time. i would always feel gassed during my sessions. may start up again 1-2 days a week. but the day after a surf session i need to recover from said surf session since i'm old. guess if i only surf for like 20 mins then i can train. but i'd rather shred in the water than in the gym...

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
so what have all u strength duu's been doing that allows u to make strength gains and still surf. i stopped strength training 8 months ago bc it kept interfering with my limited surf time. i would always feel gassed during my sessions. may start up again 1-2 days a week. but the day after a surf session i need to recover from said surf session since i'm old. guess if i only surf for like 20 mins then i can train. but i'd rather shred in the water than in the gym...
It's about fatigue mgmt, man. You can back off on the volume on your overload days (the days you lift in excess of 75% of 1RM x 3-5 reps x N sets) and take more light days. The BBM Bridge template only has 1 overload day for squat and DL and the rest light days. The volume isn't that bad, but you can back off on it.

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
It's about fatigue mgmt, man. You can back off on the volume on your overload days (the days you lift in excess of 75% of 1RM x 3-5 reps x N sets) and take more light days. The BBM Bridge template only has 1 overload day for squat and DL and the rest light days. The volume isn't that bad, but you can back off on it.
i'm gonna re-run lp starting today at 2 days a week. once it gets grindy, i'll switch to intermed programming.

how do u manage ur cardio? i haven't been gassed during sessions since i stopped lifting but my legs shrank a couple inches in diameter and i look like a soy boy now.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
i'm gonna re-run lp starting today at 2 days a week. once it gets grindy, i'll switch to intermed programming.
If you're truly back to a beginner level, run it at 3 days a week. When it gets grindy, have only one volume overload day on Monday and do lighter days the other days. Same for DL.
how do u manage ur cardio? i haven't been gassed during sessions since i stopped lifting but my legs shrank a couple inches in diameter and i look like a soy boy now.
I surf.

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
If you're truly back to a beginner level, run it at 3 days a week. When it gets grindy, have only one volume overload day on Monday and do lighter days the other days. Same for DL.

I surf.
no way i can do 3 days when surfing 3+ days a wk and no training wknds due to parental duties. i skip the light day

Reactions: PRCD

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Now, you're talking. Srength stuff for me was always to help my surfing. If it interfered with my surfing it would be defeating the purpose.

I'm not really a strength duu, but I do one day, Fridays, because I don't surf weekends anymore :jamon: (unless there is something in the reports about really good waves). 1-1/2 hours. I almost always get DOMS in my hamstrings from barbell day and when I have tried to surf with DOMS, it is less than optimal to say the least.

So my week is one day barbell, one day long run (I'm back up to 13 miles), one day short run with my daughter (4 miles) and 2-4 days surfing. Bodyweight exercises- bridges, planks, side planks, hollow holds, push ups and pull ups- every day. Oh, and hiking on Sunday (usually 4-5 miles) but I consider that a rest day.

Surfing doesn't leave me tired the day after, but if I surf 3 days in a row my shoulder and neck are in pain..

One day does not seem like enough, but it's something-

Last edited:
Reactions: Havoc and PRCD

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
Now, you're talking. Srength stuff for me was always to help my surfing. If it interfered with my surfing it would be defeating the purpose.

I'm not really a strength duu, but I do one day, Fridays, because I don't surf weekends anymore :jamon: (unless there is something in the reports about really good waves). 1-1/2 hours. I almost always get DOMS in my hamstrings from barbell day and when I have tried to surf with DOMS, it is less than optimal to say the least.

So my week is one day barbell, one day long run (I'm back up to 13 miles), one day short run with my daughter (4 miles) and 2-4 days surfing. Bodyweight exercises- bridges, planks, side planks, hollow holds, push ups and pull ups- every day. Oh, and hiking on Sunday (usually 4-5 miles) but I consider that a rest day.

Surfing doesn't leave me tired the day after, but if I surf 3 days in a row my shoulder and neck are in pain..

One day does not seem like enough, but it's something-

so what cardio work translates directly to surfing? i have a rogue echo bike but even 3 mins on that thing and i wanna gtf off it. sheer torture

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
so what cardio work translates directly to surfing? i have a rogue echo bike but even 3 mins on that thing and i wanna gtf off it. sheer torture
swimming is cardio and a bit like paddling and kicking to catch a wave on a shortboar. The problems with swimming is the inconvenience of needing a swimming pool. Swimming in the ocean would be pointless in a place like california where you get a wave most days. Its also boring and the deal breaker is that it would fatigue you for surfing - best kept for weekend warriors (which I used to be). Patrolman has the right idea by choosing cardio that does not resemble surfing and takes in some scenery.

I don't do any running though (except down the end of the beach with my boar under my arm). For the standup part of surfing cone drills on a surfskate is mild cardio, but is more thigh burning than getting puffed out - is that called anaerobic? By cone drills I mean routines such as the 2 cone infinity loop or 6 cone pattern - this also gets boring. I normally go to the skatepark warm up with an infinity loop until my thighs start to burn which takes only a few minutes. By which time I will be keen to start amusing myself with tricks.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Try Fartlek.

Just sprint until you’re gasping. Then walk or jog until you get your breath back. Repeat until you’re tired. When I do that on “the Strand“ people stare because you never really see people sprinting. I’ll do it in the context of a longer run. Like if I’m doing 8 miles at mile 3 I’ll do 4 or 5 sprints. It’ll end up being a mile or so.

I had to scale that back because of my bridge. Doc said keep heart rate at 80% of max. But I’m beginning to think my bridge is one of the benign ones. I‘ve been doing weekly 10ks at under 8 minute mile pace (my 13 mile pace is around or just under 9 minute miles). On the 10ks my heart rate levels out at 155 which is like 95% of my max (according to the formula 220-age….which I don’t think is accurate in my case).

ps- if you’re running at the beach the presence of young females is a motivation to push yourself harder. When I did the marathons a friend of mine told me when I got tired to think of sex. So I would always find some fit young female athlete running just a little faster than me and get on her tail and pick up my pace...hypnotized. Once, however, I ended up behind a guy with a hairy ass and a g-string and that REALLY motivated me to run faster so I didn’t have to look at that.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: PRCD and Havoc

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
“ An athlete, much like a manual laborer, uses his whole body together as “one”. He knows when to turn certain muscles on and others off! He will naturally use as many muscles, joints, ligaments, and tendons in a sport skill or a lift. The great athletes do the same thing. Great athletes do something lesser athletes don’t do: “they make the skill look easy and effortless”. This is why we believe strongly in portions of the Olympic lifts, power lifts, body weight calisthenics, kettle-bells, dumbbells and sleds for pushing when training our athletes. We also strongly believe in full range of motion in all lifts. Partial lifts are not part of our team workouts.”

We use barbells, dumbbells, kettelbells, chin bars, dips bars, wrestling mats, medicine balls, and 300 lb sleds. We incorporate lifts from powerlifting: bench, dead lift and back squat. We use portions of Olympic lifting: hang clean, power clean, power clean-n-jerk, front squat, push press, standing press, and hang snatch. Bodyweight calisthenics are used every day with our athletes: chins, dips, pushups, free standing squats, step ups and lunges. We like dumbbell work: one arm bench, one arm rows, two arm incline and bench. As far as kettlebells go we use: swings, one arm snatch, clean-n-press, one arm press. Kettlebells, due to its unique design, is best for one arm training like snatch, one arm clean-n-press, and one arm swings. We like using one arm work with the kettlebells because it develops the “core” body in a unique way over two dumbbell work or two kettlebell work. Your “core” must stabilize on the opposite side (obliques) in order to remain upright position. Imagine carrying two heavy dumbbells as in a farmer’s walk. This is a great exercise. However, the resistance is forced downwards only and stabilization in the “core” is not of a primary importance. If you were to carry only weight in the one hand the resistance is forced downwards but in order to remain upright your obliques on the opposite side must really fire. This goes for any one arm or one legged exercise. You develop the “core” differently!”
-Coach Ethan Reeves

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Try Fartlek.

Just sprint until you’re gasping. Then walk or jog until you get your breath back. Repeat until you’re tired. When I do that on “the Strand“ people stare because you never really see people sprinting. I’ll do it in the context of a longer run. Like if I’m doing 8 miles at mile 3 I’ll do 4 or 5 sprints. It’ll end up being a mile or so.

I had to scale that back because of my bridge. Doc said keep heart rate at 80% of max. But I’m beginning to think my bridge is one of the benign ones. I‘ve been doing weekly 10ks at under 8 minute mile pace (my 13 mile pace is around or just under 9 minute miles). On the 10ks my heart rate levels out at 155 which is like 95% of my max (according to the formula 220-age….which I don’t think is accurate in my case).
YOu're probably going to outlive all of us on here, man. BTW, it doesn't make sense that you were/are a marathoner and have a fragile heart because the doctor says. There's a huge amount of uncertainty in all these claims.

I'm going to modify The Bridge to include a 4:1 accumulation/deload ratio - after every 4 weeks, I will deload to 70% of the volume of overlaod day and 70% of the intensity in the first half of the microcycle(week) and 50% volume/50% intensity in the second half. The Bridge is designed to peak you for a meet, so I may just re-run the first month after the second month. The variability in intensity in the second half of the macrocycle is good though.

I have on criticism of RPE from reading SPOST - it doesn't allow you to accurately measure your maximum recoverable volume (MRV) nor how close you are training to failure. This can lead to confusion on when you need to deload or take an active rest phase, though it does allow you to incorporate your hobbies (surfing or running in the cast of @One-Off )

Last edited:

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
This last year I have been lifting oil field equipment around in the workshop. Made me a bit stronger!

But I can't lift anything above my head. I wanna practice that so I can lift 100kg above my head like in the Olympics :)

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
YOu're probably going to outlive all of us on here, man. BTW, it doesn't make sense that you were/are a marathoner and have a fragile heart because the doctor says. There's a huge amount of uncertainty in all these claims.

I'm going to modify The Bridge to include a 4:1 accumulation/deload ratio - after every 4 weeks, I will deload to 70% of the volume of overlaod day and 70% of the intensity in the first half of the microcycle(week) and 50% volume/50% intensity in the second half. The Bridge is designed to peak you for a meet, so I may just re-run the first month after the second month. The variability in intensity in the second half of the macrocycle is good though.

I have on criticism of RPE from reading SPOST - it doesn't allow you to accurately measure your maximum recoverable volume (MRV) nor how close you are training to failure. This can lead to confusion on when you need to deload or take an active rest phase, though it does allow you to incorporate your hobbies (surfing or running in the cast of @One-Off )
Why deload at 4 weeks? Sometimes you have to get when the gettin's good. Right now my programming is exactly where it needs to be and I'm deloading at 16 weeks but that's after a week of heavy singles. Through the 16 weeks the intensity ramps up and the rep ranges go down but the volume stays fairly consistent. There may be a time or two that I throw in an easy week but I wouldn't call it a deload and this is based on how I feel.

If your programming is higher intensity you will deload more often...but my suggestion would be to let your body tell you when that time is.