Poast your strenf training program

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
On Barbell Medicine? It's like $65?

Can you link where you're finding free?
I wouldn't recommend the Bridge to a person who wasn't competent in the barbell lifts and was able to be mostly accurate in recognizing set RPE. I have trainees who I've watched do a set that was a solid RPE 6 and have them call it a 8....or clearly a 9 and call it a 7. You really need someone who can tell the difference there to watch how the life reacts to the load, bar speed etc.

Reactions: PRCD and Ifallalot

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
ya i was struggling with deadlift around 300 lbs and realized it was like only rpe 7 and i was just being a pansie
The stigma of the deadlift being harmful if you overload or your form breaks down makes them feel heavy. Once you realize and believe that if it's too heavy you just set it back down and nothing happens your deadlift will go up up up.

Reactions: PRCD

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
The stigma of the deadlift being harmful if you overload or your form breaks down makes them feel heavy. Once you realize and believe that if it's too heavy you just set it back down and nothing happens your deadlift will go up up up.
I love the Bridge. RPE is a great concept. It totally eliminates "all or nothing" thinking on a lift day and adds way more flexibility.

I...love you for recommending it, man. ;)

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
I love the Bridge. RPE is a great concept. It totally eliminates "all or nothing" thinking on a lift day and adds way more flexibility.

I...love you for recommending it, man. ;)
Redline all the time requires way too much fatigue and recovery. There are those days where the bar is flying and you go for it but if you don't have it one day you can still get adequate training stress without the fatigue cost.

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
so who has had a consistent strength program that didn't interfere with their surfing? i'm having this issue so have been detraining a bunch since I don't want my strength training sessions to gas me out for surfing.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
so who has had a consistent strength program that didn't interfere with their surfing? i'm having this issue so have been detraining a bunch since I don't want my strength training sessions to gas me out for surfing.
You need training stress to get stronger. You can get that by doing a single or double at 80-84% intensity and then sets of 5 at between 65-70% intensity. For me the lower on the intensity scale I will add reps to sets....higher reduce reps. The fatigue cost is low yet you will still be getting adequate training stimulus. When you're ready to push your max again it only take a couple weeks to acclimate to the heavy sets and reps and you will be well past where you were previously. There's a lot of competitive powerlifters that do tons of work in the 6-8 rep range at lower intensities year round and then use 4-6 week meet preps to prepare for the heavy singles...which is more mental and technique prep.

Reactions: Havoc

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
You need training stress to get stronger. You can get that by doing a single or double at 80-84% intensity and then sets of 5 at between 65-70% intensity. For me the lower on the intensity scale I will add reps to sets....higher reduce reps. The fatigue cost is low yet you will still be getting adequate training stimulus. When you're ready to push your max again it only take a couple weeks to acclimate to the heavy sets and reps and you will be well past where you were previously. There's a lot of competitive powerlifters that do tons of work in the 6-8 rep range at lower intensities year round and then use 4-6 week meet preps to prepare for the heavy singles...which is more mental and technique prep.
i'll have to talk to my coach about it. there are some volume days but they are freaking brutal also. i can see why everyone does all that silly cross fit shat. it's easier and bc it's complex ppl think they are getting benefit. strength training is fkn hard.

Reactions: Ifallalot

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
i'll have to talk to my coach about it. there are some volume days but they are freaking brutal also. i can see why everyone does all that silly cross fit shat. it's easier and bc it's complex ppl think they are getting benefit. strength training is fkn hard.
5 sets of 5 squats at -10% of your 5 rep max is brutal.

scdad

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 20, 2003
San Clemente, CA
ya. even at 80% 5rm it's tough. i've gotta talk with them and come up with a plan. i train to surf and want to surf more than anything.
Why not cut the days back to 3/week? I did that for several months in the spring, and I could surf 5 days a week. And, my lifts improved by June. I'm trying a 4 day/week plan now, and it is kicking my butt too, but I've not been too motivated to surf lately since the waves suck at my local beaches right now. Maybe you need more recovery? At least that helped with me.

Reactions: Havoc

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
ya. even at 80% 5rm it's tough. i've gotta talk with them and come up with a plan. i train to surf and want to surf more than anything.
There's a training stimulus curve/intensity and I'm guessing the last two or so reps on sets 3 through 5 are giving you very little physically and depending on how you feel about the value of grinding out sets very little to a lot mentally.....and this is supposed to be your best stimulus day.

I would try a few things.

Continue program but reduce intensity. First, there's no reason to do 5x5 just because the program says so. I would always every time start out at 3x5 and see if that's enough. If it's not providing enough stimulus for strength gains I would then add a set and see if that drives a change. If that doesn't drive adaptation over a 2-4 weeks it's time for a program change. 5x5 at a static weight is less effective than a top set followed by back off sets at reduced intensity. The top set gives you the mental and physical training you need to stay acclimated to pushing or pulling hard and the back off sets give you the training stimulus you need to get stronger.

Bridge 3.0 .....and if fatigue is still a factor reduce RPE by one and continue the program. It's the best intermediate starting point program I've used and simple modifications for specific trainees continue to work.

Last edited:

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Ever tried to do the 20 squat program?

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
You can probably get equal gains through less old-school ways but this is for mental toughness as well

have u ran lp yet?

u can mess around with volume etc once that stops working. keep it simple for now. lp is a freaking grind towards the end.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
have u ran lp yet?

u can mess around with volume etc once that stops working. keep it simple for now. lp is a freaking grind towards the end.
not all the way through

yeah I want to keep it simple but that 20 squat thing seems cool at some point

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
not all the way through

yeah I want to keep it simple but that 20 squat thing seems cool at some point
HLM is a better long term option once u finish lp.

also for doug, my coach is having me do a single heavy set of 5 and then 2 backoff sets on max intensity days for the squat. I think one of the main differences is the non-use of rpe. Rip doesn't believe in it lol. i can see pros and cons.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
There's a training stimulus curve/intensity and I'm guessing the last two or so reps on sets 3 through 5 are giving you very little physically and depending on how you feel about the value of grinding out sets very little to a lot mentally.....and this is supposed to be your best stimulus day.

I would try a few things.

Continue program but reduce intensity. First, there's no reason to do 5x5 just because the program says so. I would always every time start out at 3x5 and see if that's enough.
I had to cut the Texas Method volume day from 5x5 to 3x5 after only 6-8 weeks.

The top set gives you the mental and physical training you need to stay acclimated to pushing or pulling hard and the back off sets give you the training stimulus you need to get stronger.
This is a great idea. You have to stay used to the psychological effort of those hard sets.