Poast your strenf training program

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
My shoulder between my neck and my deltoid is jacked up right now. All the compound movements I do right now effect it except squats

any ideas for exercises to do?

just go do squats for a couple weeks?

I can’t risk hurting it more because of all the baseball/softball activities I’m doing; I have to keep throwing

it only makes the side of my neck go numb :roflmao: :roflmao:

this is the same chronic condition that made me quit masters swimming so I could keep surfing

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Sounds like tight levators. Find some mobilizations on YouTube.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
My shoulder between my neck and my deltoid is jacked up right now. All the compound movements I do right now effect it except squats

any ideas for exercises to do?

just go do squats for a couple weeks?

I can’t risk hurting it more because of all the baseball/softball activities I’m doing; I have to keep throwing

it only makes the side of my neck go numb :roflmao: :roflmao:

this is the same chronic condition that made me quit masters swimming so I could keep surfing
You should still deadlift, bench and OHP...you just need to find an entry point where the pain is tolerable and the stress from training doesn't;t make it worse. My favorite is tempo work...I would start with something shy of RPE-7 12 reps 2 sets. If this is tolerable and the pain doesn't get worse during or after training try three sets the next week. As you progress drop reps to ten, then 8, then 6 etc as you're able. When things begin to remarkably feel better start doing the movements at regular training speed and maybe kick the reps up again...depending on how you feel.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
You should still deadlift, bench and OHP...you just need to find an entry point where the pain is tolerable and the stress from training doesn't;t make it worse. My favorite is tempo work...I would start with something shy of RPE-7 12 reps 2 sets. If this is tolerable and the pain doesn't get worse during or after training try three sets the next week. As you progress drop reps to ten, then 8, then 6 etc as you're able. When things begin to remarkably feel better start doing the movements at regular training speed and maybe kick the reps up again...depending on how you feel.
Cool. I’ll get back in there tomorrow

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
RED ALERT: RIP DOESN'T LIKE RPE

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
RED ALERT: RIP DOESN'T LIKE RPE
There's two trains of thought.

1. PR or ER
2. Take what your body gives you on any given day.

Strength isn't adding weight at regular intervals. Strength is the ability to lift more than yesterday, and to be able to display that provided the conditions you need are present.

If it was as simple as grinding your teeth and pushing through then a lifter would never miss a lift because he lifted the same weight last week.

I don't disagree with Rip or Starting Strength. I just found for me, staying away from high intensity work day to day gives me the opportunity to do other physical activities without feeling fatigued. I firmly believe that your training should never get in the way of your lifestyle. My numbers continue to go up.

Check it out at 2:38

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: One-Off and PRCD

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I firmly believe that your training should never get in the way of your lifestyle. My numbers continue to go up.

Right now I'm lucky to get one day a week of strength because I've been surfing 5 days a week. I haven't been running as much either. I might be overdoing the surf a bit . My shoulder, neck and low back are chronically sore. I've even taken advil before a surf because the waves were to good to miss. I've been doing strength work on Fridays so that DOMS day are Sat and Sun. Come Monday I'm back on the surf mission...

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Last night, I high bar squatted 335 x 1 @RPE 8 followed by back-off sets at 300. It's hard to say how this compares to my low bar squat so I'm ass-uming I could add 10-20% for that. I'm roughly back where I was on the squat. The press seems to have stalled. The DL keeps going up.

I stepped on the scale last night and I look slightly fatter but I've put on 10 lbs for a bwt of 215. I haven't gained this much weight since I started lifting.

This is an amazing program.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Last night, I high bar squatted 335 x 1 @RPE 8 followed by back-off sets at 300. It's hard to say how this compares to my low bar squat so I'm ass-uming I could add 10-20% for that. I'm roughly back where I was on the squat. The press seems to have stalled. The DL keeps going up.

I stepped on the scale last night and I look slightly fatter but I've put on 10 lbs for a bwt of 215. I haven't gained this much weight since I started lifting.

This is an amazing program.
Some people can high bar more than they low bar. I have been doing High bar once a week and I have gotten to really enjoy it. The difference may not be as great as you think. Maybe it's my body geometry but I feel really locked in when high bar.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Some people can high bar more than they low bar. I have been doing High bar once a week and I have gotten to really enjoy it. The difference may not be as great as you think. Maybe it's my body geometry but I feel really locked in when high bar.
It's probably both how much you do it and body segment lengths. I have really long legs, so low bar simply requires less travel for the bar and is much more like a DL for me. I feel super locked-in with low bar. I also did it much more.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I'm wrapping up my latest round of The Bridge. Over the past 11 months, subtracting several weeks due to travel and illness, I've added 80 lbs to my squat and DL. e1RM HBBS is 405. e1RM DL is 460.

RPE is definitely a valuable concept. I throttled back my Friday belt-free squat for more bar speed because I still hadn't recovered from Monday and this Monday I had better bar speed on my set of 1 and sets of 8. Ego is not your amigo.

I think I'm going to throttle it back for a quarter and spend more time surfing. I need to buy more 45s.

@VonMeister Do you recommend a maintenance program? Can I scale back the bridge to two days a week?

Reactions: grapedrink

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
I like the Time Crunch template for cruising along. Generally when I'm focused on doing other things and running a recovery or maintenance phase I will Squat and DL reps of 3-5 @ RPE7ish and do 20 reps of back off in rep ranges of 4 to 5 at around 68-72% of 1RM. I'll mix in a day of pulling....like rows or pendalay in the 10-12 rep range at rep 7-8 and like a high bar of SSB in the 8-10 rep range...usually a set of RPE 8 followed by 2-3 back off sets -5%.

Reactions: PRCD

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
BTW, I think Rip is right about the low bar squat helping your DL. I think there was a lot more differentiation between my DL and squat in the past when I was low bar squatting.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
I've hit PR's after for whatever reason not pulling for a couple weeks. I don't think you could do it for long...but the low bar squat provides a lot of stress to the dominant muscles of the deadlift. A lot of pulling big numbers comes from the comfort of being exposed to pulling heavy and being acclimated to the feeling.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I've hit PR's after for whatever reason not pulling for a couple weeks. I don't think you could do it for long...but the low bar squat provides a lot of stress to the dominant muscles of the deadlift. A lot of pulling big numbers comes from the comfort of being exposed to pulling heavy and being acclimated to the feeling.
I think the LBBS gives you extra hip development and drive. Your posterior ends up looking like a rhinoceros' though.

I don't find anything harder than squatting. The bar is trying to crush you. Mentally, it's so much easier to pull. Also you never see anyone doing this after a pull:
a little leakage here but nothing too bad;