Poast your strenf training program

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
That’s where sandbags, kettlebells, lightweight barbells etc come in combined with compound lifts/movements and/or complexes that check off the four boxes (upper/lower push and upper/lower pulls). Your hitting targeted big muscle groups along with training (neglected) stabilizers and spending a lot of time under tension.

You’ll know you’ve picked the right load when you start out thinking this ain’t so bad and by the end of the 20 minutes you’ve been struggling not to quit for the last 5 or so.

Finally in conclusion there’s SAID, specifically adapted to imposed demands. If you do gnarly things (farmers walks, sandbags, barbell/dbl kb complexes etc) and get to the point to where you’re doing some gnarly work (carrying 35% bw per hand, 35% bw plus sandbag) you’re gonna look the part in addition to having some legit work capacity which is what I’m concerned with primarily
We're not communicating here.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Last edited:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Staley x Reeves bro.
Always hated trad weightlifting/believed in the superiority of farm strength when it comes to athleticism.
Yeah, most of your beliefs tend to be faith-based, but not in the sense that you have evidence for them.
I also wished I’d wrestled in HS, figure might as well train like I did since you will be hard pressed to find better conditioned athletes
Strength is not the same thing as conditioning.
This guy's claim to fame is that his athletes win a lot, but of course winning is heavily dependent on recruiting and the coaches of the actual sports.
I work with or oversee all the athletes here at Wake Forest University-it's about 400 athletes. We try to maximize the athletic potential of every athlete we train. We start by developing their athleticism. We can't guarantee that we're going to win in football, basketball, or any sport for that matter. What we try to do is to develop better athletes. From that point forward, our sport coaches will take care of their sport skills. We train our athletes to be athletic, that's why we do a lot of barbell Olympic-type lifts…power cleans, hang cleans, clean-and-jerks, squat cleans, front squats, back squats and lunges. The barbell is a great way to train, but you also want to develop that core body, which is a big part of our philosophy, in a different way. Your upper quadriceps, upper hamstrings, gluteals (butt muscles), lower back, abdominals and obliques are all part of this core body. If you want to attack your core body in a different way, you have to train it differently. We do kettlebells in conjunction with the squatting-type movements and the Olympic-type lifting movements. We do the one-arm kettlebell lifts, and we've found them to be very effective because it develops the core in a much different way. So when we use kettlebells, we only use one hand; we will do… two-arm swings to warm up, but we focus on doing one-arm swings, one-arm snatches, one-arm cleans, one-arm presses and one-arm clean-and-jerks.
This guy is just a good pitch man. What parts of your body are not part of your "core body?" He says he tries to develop better athletes, but how? He likes barbells, but seems to be implying they don't train "the core body" How is this the case? He says the kettlebell develops the "core body" in a "much different way," but how? Does he mean, "Kettlebells provide a great contralateral stimulus which does ____?"

The problem with your critiques of coaches I post mostly Rip, Israetel, and Henselmanns (a natural btw) is that you never bother to critically evaluate the kooks you follow. You are yelling at me that I've driven into a ditch from a ditch of your own.

Reactions: grapedrink

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Most people ignore or pay very little attention to the conditioning part of strength and conditioning. Both are important but you can't go all in on both at the same time. Both share the same resources and one is going to improve at the detriment of the other. I do a lot more conditioning specific work today than I did ten years ago even during heavy strength focused blocks. But I also don't finish a difficult anaerobic exercise complex and confuse being fatigued, hot and sweaty with strength training.

Chachski is motivated by slickly produced YouTube videos and online personalities, and basically does a backyard version of CrossFit....which is fine and if he's as dedicated to training that way as he is to arguing about in on the internet he's likely stronger and fitter than 90% of the people on earth. That's a good thing.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Most people ignore or pay very little attention to the conditioning part of strength and conditioning. Both are important but you can't go all in on both at the same time. Both share the same resources and one is going to improve at the detriment of the other. I do a lot more conditioning specific work today than I did ten years ago even during heavy strength focused blocks. But I also don't finish a difficult anaerobic exercise complex and confuse being fatigued, hot and sweaty with strength training.

Chachski is motivated by slickly produced YouTube videos and online personalities, and basically does a backyard version of CrossFit....which is fine and if he's as dedicated to training that way as he is to arguing about in on the internet he's likely stronger and fitter than 90% of the people on earth. That's a good thing.
Being fitter than everyone else is an extremely low hurdle nowadays when most people look like 50 lbs of ___ in a 25 lb bag. I have no problem with calisthenics, btw. I do some myself (with overload). However, like you said, doing random amounts of them until fatigued or using them in EDT is not strength - it's conditioning - and the title of this thread is "Poast your strenf training program."

freeride76

Miki Dora status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Most people ignore or pay very little attention to the conditioning part of strength and conditioning. Both are important but you can't go all in on both at the same time. Both share the same resources and one is going to improve at the detriment of the other.

I know I ask a lot of dumb questions- but could you expand on this more?

What is the difference?

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I know I ask a lot of dumb questions- but could you expand on this more?

What is the difference?
Strength = anaerobic, conditioning = aerobic
Work capacity = both? Realized I ain’t got nothing to push so I decided to put some of the money I made off NVDA where my mouth is and just ordered a dank sled from Rogue as “last piece of the puzzle”. More fun/not fun lol ahead. Gonna hook the battle rope up to it for some wicked pulling action too.

"The High Intensity Interval Training protocol has been widely misappropriated with workouts that last too long and are not truly intense enough to experience the desired benefits. The High Intensity Repeat Training strategy calls for truly intense repeats that are short in duration followed by luxurious rest intervals."
-Dr. Craig Marker

Last edited:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
TL DR is use exercises where there's a lot of load in a fully-stretched position e.g. preacher curls instead of standing barbell curls. Work the bottom ROM with a controlled eccentric, bottom pause, and explosive concentric. One example is Hatfield squats in the bottom of the ROM where you don't come fully up. Use much lighter weights. These are superior to leg extensions where the load is nil near the bottom of the ROM and maximum in at the top.

Reactions: slipped_disc

slipped_disc

Michael Peterson status
Jun 27, 2019
TL DR is use exercises where there's a lot of load in a fully-stretched position e.g. preacher curls instead of standing barbell curls. Work the bottom ROM with a controlled eccentric, bottom pause, and explosive concentric. One example is Hatfield squats in the bottom of the ROM where you don't come fully up. Use much lighter weights. These are superior to leg extensions where the load is nil near the bottom of the ROM and maximum in at the top.

The PT I was just working with had me do this — creating load in a fully-stretched position — with my core. So in this case we were actually creating minor extension in the spine > contracting into flexion.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
The PT I was just working with had me do this — creating load in a fully-stretched position — with my core. So in this case we were actually creating minor extension in the spine > contracting into flexion.
You mean like sit-ups on a Swiss ball?

slipped_disc

Michael Peterson status
Jun 27, 2019
You mean like sit-ups on a Swiss ball?
Similar-ish idea but not that. I’m not sure of the name.

You start lying down with something under your lumbar spine. A towel or whatever. Arms stretched out overhead gripping onto something immovable like a weight rack. Lift your legs and then your core — ultimately curling your core off the ground into flexion.

Last edited:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Similar-ish idea but not that. I’m not sure of the name.

You start lying down with something under your lumbar spine. A towel or whatever. Arms stretched out overhead gripping onto something immovable like a weight rack. Lift your legs and then your core — ultimately curling your core off the ground into flexion.
What angle are your legs to the ground when you start lifting the core off the ground (towel)? Sounds like a killer ab exercise.

I’m going to carefully lift my barbell this weekend, two weeks are my whiplash incident. I’m finally pain free, or rather pain free when not moving. Certain movements still elicit pain. If I can lift without adverse effects I might try surfing again next week too.

Last edited:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
What angle are your legs to the ground when you start lifting the core off the ground (towel)? Sounds like a killer ab exercise.

I’m going to carefully lift my barbell this weekend, two weeks are my whiplash incident. I’m finally pain free, or rather pain free when not moving. Certain movements still elicit pain. If I can lift without adverse effects I might try surfing again next week too.
As long as your pain is a 3 on a scale of 1-10 and there's no prolonged flare-up, it should be fine. If there's more pain than that, lift more slowly.

Reactions: Mr J and One-Off

slipped_disc

Michael Peterson status
Jun 27, 2019
Ideally they’re straight and parallel to ground. But I do a modified version. For the starting position I lie on my back, hips and knees at 90 as if I were seated in a chair. Straighten my legs and lower them until whatever height feels manageable. If I had to guess, I’d say 30* is where my legs are at.

From that position you begin the curl up.

Reactions: One-Off

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Ideally they’re straight and parallel to ground. But I do a modified version. For the starting position I lie on my back, hips and knees at 90 as if I were seated in a chair. Straighten my legs and lower them until whatever height feels manageable. If I had to guess, I’d say 30* is where my legs are at.

From that position you begin the curl up.
Does you back remain flat on the floor throughout? If so, I tried it and it feels very safe to me. The ab-crunch where the feet stay on the floor and the back raises off the ground is risky to those with dodgy backs - I was told by mt chiro years ago not to even get out of bed in the ab-crunch position, but to push up sideways.

slipped_disc

Michael Peterson status
Jun 27, 2019
Does you back remain flat on the floor throughout? If so, I tried it and it feels very safe to me. The ab-crunch where the feet stay on the floor and the back raises off the ground is risky to those with dodgy backs - I was told by mt chiro years ago not to even get out of bed in the ab-crunch position, but to push up sideways.
It's more of a reverse crunch. This video isn't a perfect example, but it's close enough to show the general idea. The emphasis is on thoracic flexion. Your lumbar spine ideally is pretty supported throughout the movement.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I’m doing my barbell routine today ( does not seem to trigger whiplashed neck as my neck remains immobile). I have to do it outside as I have no room indoors or in my garage (shaping room). I always get distracted. Pretty sure I have ADHD. Anyways I’ll interrupt my work out to pick up some leaves or remove spider webs or post on the erBB. I was wondering what effect long pauses have. I found this.

I don’t do barbell for cardio but for strength. So I guess my distractions are OK?

ps overhead presses aggravated my neck.

Last edited:

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Loaded carries w/ the farmers walk bars now up to 67% BW, 33.5% x 2. Getting close to og kettle bell/FMS guy Grey Cook’s bare minimum standard of 75% BW, 37.5% BW x 2 for 90 seconds straight.