Poast your strenf training program

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
@VonMeister

In the Bridge, the pulls are all done without a belt except for deadlift with a belt, correct?
1626973249968.png

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I'm doing all squats high bar. There's not as much carry-over to the DL, but I don't care. The DL is still going up quickly.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
I'm doing all squats high bar. There's not as much carry-over to the DL, but I don't care. The DL is still going up quickly.
I don't have an issue with high bar. You should wear a belt on the intensity day...(single followed by back off sets). On the variations or the volume days, beltless.

Reactions: PRCD

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
I wear a belt on rack pulls since u overload those at least in my program. Rack pulls are heavier than deadlifts.

btw, worst deadlift variation I ever did was the sumo grip dl. Brutal.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
so who has had a consistent strength program that didn't interfere with their surfing?
If I was going to be an asshole I would tell you that it doesn't exist. You already know this. The way your question is framed indicates you have figured this out on your own, but you are hoping against hope that you can do both well. An asshole would tell you you can't. You can dabble in one or both, but that will probably insure that you do neither one particularly well. A really humungous asshole would tell you he has repeated this experiment ad infinitum decades previously and come to this unwarranted conclusion. An asshole would go one from there with details.

Good thing I'm not an asshole.

(unless if by "consistent" you meant maintaining a certain level of strength with no discernable forward progress. Then nevermind. That would be really easy to figure out though. So I doubt that is what you meant)

Reactions: santacruzin

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
If I was going to be an asshole I would tell you that it doesn't exist. You already know this. The way your question is framed indicates you have figured this out on your own, but you are hoping against hope that you can do both well. An asshole would tell you you can't. You can dabble in one or both, but that will probably insure that you do neither one particularly well. A really humungous asshole would tell you he has repeated this experiment ad infinitum decades previously and come to this unwarranted conclusion. An asshole would go one from there with details.

Good thing I'm not an asshole.

(unless if by "consistent" you meant maintaining a certain level of strength with no discernable forward progress. Then nevermind. That would be really easy to figure out though. So I doubt that is what you meant)
your couch is no longer salmon colored??

yeah, i need a day of reset between either surfing or training which basically only leaves a day to train if i'm surfing 2-3 days a week. for example, i surfed yesterday for 3 hrs. completely fried today, no way i'm going to make strength progress if i train today.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
your couch is no longer salmon colored??

yeah, i need a day of reset between either surfing or training which basically only leaves a day to train if i'm surfing 2-3 days a week. for example, i surfed yesterday for 3 hrs. completely fried today, no way i'm going to make strength progress if i train today.
How old are your kids? This is probably the largest effect.

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
How old are your kids? This is probably the largest effect.
i have a flexy sched so can train or surf pretty much most mornings. usually surf longer sessions tho which fks up my training. like i said before, nobody has the answer since there aren't any of the strength coaches who actually surf, and if they do, ride shorboards. surfing is like doing a 3 hour long metcon. fking tiring.

only thing i found that works is:
the following schedule day by day

surf rest train rest surf rest train rest surf rest surf rest train rest surf rest etc. etc.

well u get the point. need a rest day between surfing or training.

if i surf the day before training, i'm fked in the training. if u train the day before i surf, im fked with the surfing.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
You don't need to train to the point of being wiped out. You should leave your workout feeling like you could do another 3-5 sets of something. Lift for the benefits to health that are not directly related to surfing.

Go heavier during the times of the year when the surf is marginal, then scale back to 1-2x/week full body or none at all when it's good. Get more workouts in during flat spells. You'll be fine.

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
You don't need to train to the point of being wiped out. You should leave your workout feeling like you could do another 3-5 sets of something. Lift for the benefits to health that are not directly related to surfing.

Go heavier during the times of the year when the surf is marginal, then scale back to 1-2x/week full body or none at all when it's good. Get more workouts in during flat spells. You'll be fine.
ya, that's pretty much what i have ended doing from trial and error lol.

issue is, if u don't push urself, it is hard to make any kind of strength adaptation. anyways, down to only 1 day a week right now training due to surfing.

Reactions: grapedrink

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
ya, that's pretty much what i have ended doing from trial and error lol.

issue is, if u don't push urself, it is hard to make any kind of strength adaptation. anyways, down to only 1 day a week right now training due to surfing.
You might need to try some hypertrophy training and build muscular endurance.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
ya i spoke to my coach about a hypertrophy block and they weren't into it. maybe if i was stronger and plateaued on strength we could switch to it.
Your coach works for you, not the other way around. You're not going to plateau on strength for a long time with the right programming. So what? Strength is not the only thing you need. 12 weeks of hypertrophy training is not going to set back your strength that much and is long-enough to see if it's working.

VonMeister and I are both older than you and aren't having this problem. You probably need to remove two volume sets on 5x5 day like he said, but maybe you need more strength endurance.

Reactions: Havoc

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
i have a flexy sched so can train or surf pretty much most mornings. usually surf longer sessions tho which fks up my training. like i said before, nobody has the answer since there aren't any of the strength coaches who actually surf, and if they do, ride shorboards. surfing is like doing a 3 hour long metcon. fking tiring.

only thing i found that works is:
the following schedule day by day

surf rest train rest surf rest train rest surf rest surf rest train rest surf rest etc. etc.

well u get the point. need a rest day between surfing or training.

if i surf the day before training, i'm fked in the training. if u train the day before i surf, im fked with the surfing.
You can't schedule surfing...you have to go when the gettings good, right? Now that I'm not relegated to weekends and dawn patrol I'm also timing my go outs with the tide, not crowd avoidance. One thing I'm very careful about is not surfing 3 hour sessions multiple days day in a row. That's how I initially injured my back and that's how I recently had a flare up with 3-4 days of intense cramping.

One bonus is, when the surf's bad you go, "Yea! Now I can strength train!" I also have to leave at least two days between barbell sessions.

I guess you have to prioritize. Surfing is my priority. If it's on everything else is in the back seat.

I also try to fit in my runs. My new distance is 14k after reading about some Dutch guy who has a marathon training program where you never run more than 14k (8 miles). Still, I try to do 13+ miler at least once every 2 weeks.

Last edited:
Reactions: PRCD and Havoc

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
ya i spoke to my coach about a hypertrophy block and they weren't into it. maybe if i was stronger and plateaued on strength we could switch to it.
Keep in mind you go to a strength focused gym. You're years and years away from plateauing on strength...sure the gains will become less frequent but they are still there. I'm pulling squatting and pressing more today than ever before and I haven't grinded a set in over a year. I do a double or triple at 80-85% intensity, then all back off sets are around 65-70. It's the big disconnect between SS and most other reputable strength coaches. I do believe there is value in doing hard things and there is a huge rush when hitting a total, be it a single or a set that seemed impossible in recent memory....but the fatigue cost of doing it week in and week out is too high and the strength benefit is way to low.

The way I train is I use late winter through spring to run a hard strength focused block where I'm either training or recovering, using heavy singles and overload sets etc.. The rest of the year I'm using lower intensity with higher volume and if I get stuck ill make small volume or intensity adjustments along the way. I'm in no rush and I'll usually wait weeks before making an adjustment. There's no reason to gorge yourself on gains year round unless you really like strength training and it's your sole form of recreational enjoyment. The biggest change I made this year was going from a heavy double and 4 sets of 5, to heavy double and 5 sets of 6 and the same intensity (65-70%) the weight was slightly lower for sets of 6. So far the result has been positive and fatigue is never an issue. There's days that I feel it but it's usually due to a tertiary issue like sleep or diet or an external stressor.

Look at Baraki. He'll probably pull 800 pounds this year at around 190# and he never grinds.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
any time for Pavel Tsatsouline Von Meister?

his philosophy for strength during competition is to lift heavy but not hard, ie not to the point of fatigue or failure.

Your thoughts?

• Dislike
Reactions: Havoc

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
any time for Pavel Tsatsouline Von Meister?

his philosophy for strength during competition is to lift heavy but not hard, ie not to the point of fatigue or failure.

Your thoughts?
No coach worth their fee will ever bring a trainee to failure. There's no utility in failing a rep or doing an assisted rep when the lifter has reached a point of not having the resources to continue.

A strength adaptation can't come from not working hard.....not for long anyway.

Pavel tells people what they want to hear..."don't work hard". He has this weird idea that people need to rest 5 to 15 minutes between sets when barbell training. I've never rested more than 5 minutes in my life. Science tells us the recovery period for most men is in the 75 second range, shorter for women.... and the rest is mental preparation.

Pavel trained as an Olympic lifter for most of his life. He started promoting kettlebells when he needed to make a living. Similar to the Nautilus machines...Pavel saw a niche in mass marketing fitness. Pavel only uses kettlebells when marketing. To be clear I don't hate kettlebells. I own kettlebells. I just find them mostly useless for building strength but if I had a trainee that loved kettlebells I would train them with kettlebells and make them stronger. More important than anything is adherence to training. If kettlebells or battle ropes or dumbbell arm curls is the gateway to getting someone in the gym training..thats good enough. A good coach will coach that and then introduce some better forms of training down the road as a way of mixing things up. Pavel books and videos however will not make a person stronger for very long as the adaptation to that style of workout is pretty quick.

Regarding lifting heavy.

I use RPE as my training gauge. Some people have an issue with RPE because they think it gives a lifter an excuse to not lift heavy when they are having a bad physical or mental day...or just excludes lifting heavy altogether. I think with a novice lifter this could be true. I can watch a novice lifter call a set a RPE 9 and I can tell by watching him/her, the bar speed and the actual lift and say without question that it was an RPE 7 at best. A set at RPE 7 is heavy. In order to get appropriate training stress to cause a strength adaptation you are going to need lift heavy and at times deal with some residual fatigue. I try and manage fatigue by taking what the body gives you but at the same time having a goal based training plan that requires some moments of increased fatigue. My belief is that with appropriate volume and resistance you will get the appropriate and optimal amount of training stress and stop short of that gray area of high fatigue/ limited return.

Last edited:
Reactions: grapedrink