Poast your strenf training program

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Gnarly wrestling style bridging agreed but something told me Max had an alternative and of course he did because he’s one of the smartest dudes I’ve ever met.
I've seen that. I've also seen variations using the wall or an adjustable angle bench press and a few pads. My neck sustained a fairly horrific injury at one point. It's a long story. I wish I had measured my neck before I started with the IN device. There was a fairly rapid visual change in my neck. It seems low risk and effective. For me the exorbitant cost was worth it. My range of motion has even improved.

• Love
Reactions: Chocki

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali

Super cool fashion statement but in all practicality, a thrift store bike helmet, a stretchy band, and some duck tape would save a bundle.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006

Super cool fashion statement but in all practicality, a thrift store bike helmet, a stretchy band, and some duck tape would save a bundle.
There's a number of features you are pretty much missing?

But, decades ago I did start using nylon webbing and a bungie cord to rig up something that did some of the same things. This was after a stint at rehab working through a fairly nasty neck injury. So kind of. I mean I was fairly close to their concept, only I didn't have the rebok pump up helmet and the rotating attachment to the bungie cord. The bike helmet thing with the duct tape (no ducks were harmed in the making of this tape) wouldn't cut it. I also used a modified harness at one point.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
My neck is pretty messed up, from decades of surfing I guess, but I manage to keep it and my lower back okay with the McKenzie Method. Never thought to work in strength training for the neck.

Reactions: bluengreen

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
There's a number of features you are pretty much missing?

But, decades ago I did start using nylon webbing and a bungie cord to rig up something that did some of the same things. This was after a stint at rehab working through a fairly nasty neck injury. So kind of. I mean I was fairly close to their concept, only I didn't have the rebok pump up helmet and the rotating attachment to the bungie cord. The bike helmet thing with the duct tape (no ducks were harmed in the making of this tape) wouldn't cut it. I also used a modified harness at one point.

nice star tatt sharky

Reactions: Sharky

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
My neck is pretty messed up, from decades of surfing I guess, but I manage to keep it and my lower back okay with the McKenzie Method. Never thought to work in strength training for the neck.
I always thought surfing was bad for your neck and consequently tried to spend as much time paddling with my head down.

But for the grace of god go I, my neck should be way more jacked than it is. Bodysurfing in CR, got a “stinger“ that made me think I was very lucky not to be paralyzed and/or drowned. Could’ve very easily been confined to a wheel chair after landing on my head trying to do a backflip in a bounce house. And most recently taking a branch to helmet snowboarding going not slow did some damage.

Wanted to see if Max had cooked anything else up re necks. I really like how he integrates the neck work with the anterior stretching

Reactions: estreet

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Surfing eats necks. I know a number of our 70's-80's "surf stars" that have bad necks. Paddling for distance I try and look down at the board and turn head to the side to orient. Save the hyperextension on the neck for takeoffs. You play long enough you pay.

Reactions: One-Off

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
nice star tatt sharky
Compliments his tear drop tats really nicely :ban:

Also I would personally avoid anything that targets the neck specifically unless it’s part of a rehab routine. Too much muscle in the neck can cause more snoring according to some docs :shrug:

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
Too much muscle in the neck can cause more snoring according to some docs :shrug:
Doesn't sound right, but on the other hand, I got a thick neck and snore like a mofo. I've been work'n on it though, breathing from the nose, even while doing cardio, strengthening the pallet, and monitoring with a snoring app. But you'll never guess what works best. A low lectin diet. Maybe you would guess the way I go on about it.My normal snore score is around 30, though it can go as high as 60. On a low lectin diet it's below 10. Inflammation I guess. :shrug:

Reactions: grapedrink

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Doesn't sound right, but on the other hand, I got a thick neck and snore like a mofo. I've been work'n on it though, breathing from the nose, even while doing cardio, strengthening the pallet, and monitoring with a snoring app. But you'll never guess what works best. A low lectin diet. Maybe you would guess the way I go on about it.My normal snore score is around 30, though it can go as high as 60. On a low lectin diet it's below 10. Inflammation I guess. :shrug:
Trust me, I don't want it to be true. Most full body exercises will build the neck indirectly. The guys I heard it from are super experienced trainers.

I could see the Lectin/Inflammation thing being true with snoring. Tends to be associated with water weight, which will cause your face and neck to carry a bit more water.

Reactions: estreet

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Surfing eats necks. I know a number of our 70's-80's "surf stars" that have bad necks. Paddling for distance I try and look down at the board and turn head to the side to orient. Save the hyperextension on the neck for takeoffs. You play long enough you pay.
My kryptonite is the hair flick after a duck dive. It started about 6-8 years ago. After a winter of surfing with a hood I was so happy to ditch it. The night after my first hoodless surf my neck was in agony. It took me a while to realize what it was thaat caused the pain. Now I have to remember to flick my hair with my hand. I also tryu to keep my head down until I'm paddling for a wave.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Compliments his tear drop tats really nicely :ban:

Also I would personally avoid anything that targets the neck specifically unless it’s part of a rehab routine. Too much muscle in the neck can cause more snoring according to some docs :shrug:
That sounds suspect to me. Girth/fat, sure. I tried to look it up and found nothing re increased muscularity of the neck. Combat sports participants have been strengthening necks for hundreds of years. There is new data out on how small increases in neck strength greatly reduce concussions, not to mention protect the spine. I couldn't find anything on sneezing. Other than people with weak necks hurting their necks by sneezing.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
That sounds suspect to me. Girth/fat, sure. I tried to look it up and found nothing re increased muscularity of the neck. Combat sports participants have been strengthening necks for hundreds of years. There is new data out on how small increases in neck strength greatly reduce concussions, not to mention protect the spine. I couldn't find anything on sneezing. Other than people with weak necks hurting their necks by sneezing.
Even in youth football we did neck strengthen excercise and stretches. I still include neck stretches as part of my routine: 10x rotation slow & smooth clock wise, 10x counter click wise, 10x forward and backwards.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Even in youth football we did neck strengthen excercise and stretches. I still include neck stretches as part of my routine: 10x rotation slow & smooth clock wise, 10x counter click wise, 10x forward and backwards.
Is that really strengthening the neck though? Or just maintaining ROM? Right now my neck to shoulder is my worst part, worse than my lower back, and I do a couple stretches but never equate stretching with strengthening. Sharky's gizmo looks like it would strengthen the neck but it is too rich for my blood ($225-450)

Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Is that really strengthening the neck though? Or just maintaining ROM? Right now my neck to shoulder is my worst part, worse than my lower back, and I do a couple stretches but never equate stretching with strengthening. Sharky's gizmo looks like it would strengthen the neck but it is too rich for my blood ($225-450)
Both the strengthen neck we would be down on knees and hands and move head up down while other person would stand with hand pushing on helmet for resistance. I thought about this yesterday and tried it using the bottom of my heavy bag and slowly lifting my head up and down "lift" mition x30. Works pretty good and I think I may add to routine:cheers:

Reactions: One-Off

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
When I was first rehabbing my back I would do bridges (not neck bridges). This discussion brought them back to mind.

I've started doing these (while lying on the floor in the evening watching TV...I learned our couch is bad juju for my low back). It's like the glute bridge, but after I raise my hips up, I also raise my shoulders off the ground. The neck is then engaged but not extended. I also press down with my hands. I don't go up on my fingers like the guy in the video. I hold my arms out to the side further, like how I figure a paddling stroke would end.

For the opposite I do hollow holds which work the front of the neck. I try to keep my neck straighter than the guy the video (kind of looking up).

Not sure how long I should hold these or for how many reps to stimulate a strength adaptation? I've read that to stimulate a strength adaptation with body weight you need to go to near failure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chocki

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
When I was first rehabbing my back I would do bridges (not neck bridges). This discussion brought them back to mind.

I've started doing these (while lying on the floor in the evening watching TV...I learned our couch is bad juju for my low back). It's like the glute bridge, but after I raise my hips up, I also raise my shoulders off the ground. The neck is then engaged but not extended. I also press down with my hands. I don't go up on my fingers like the guy in the video. I hold my arms out to the side further, like how I figure a paddling stroke would end.

For the opposite I do hollow holds which work the front of the neck. I try to keep my neck straighter than the guy the video (kind of looking up).

Not sure how long I should hold these or for how many reps to stimulate a strength adaptation? I've read that to stimulate a strength adaptation with body weight you need to go to near failure.

Instead of trying to lift the heavy bag up and down instead I use the downward weight as resistance and push on from below for 30 seconds. I figured smother is better and do not want to fuk with neck but would like to strengthen.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
One adaptive bridge technique I have used is with an adjustable bench press. The higher the angle, the less the resistance. Get a thick foam pad or a rolled up towel. Set the bench on say a 45 degree angle (or more or less angle) and get on the bench back down. Slip the pad/towel under your head. Drive head into the pad and bridge your body up off the bench for reps. Adjust angle for resistance needed. Progress to just going perpendicular on the bench with nothing but the back of head on the bench and your feet on the ground. You can turn around and face the bench when you have it angled and go in the opposite direction to strengthen the front of your neck. They used to tell you that the neck would get stronger through standard lifting via a ripple effect. Which is true somewhat. But direct neck work, the results are rapid and significant if you can find a safe way of doing it with your individual neck.

Reactions: rowjimmytour