Poast your strenf training program

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Got to 100 pushups tonight. May not sound like a big deal but for a 53 year old with the shoulder issues I've had the past 5 or 6 years I'm pretty stoked.
In one set? I've got up to 40, that heart health threshold I linked in the heart health thread. Pretty bad form the last 3-4 though.

For Havoc, I feel your pain. My plan is simple. I write down everything I do. No DOMS? Next week up the reps. Slight DOMS keep it the same. Severe DOMS, dial it back. Last week I had no DOMS, so yesterday I dialed it up, and today I'm really sore and the SURF IS UP. Being sore and trying to surf sucks bugly. So this week (I try to do the barbell on Fridays because I try not to surf on weekends) I will dial it back ...

Tomorrow first surf on a new board in decent (I hope ) waves and I'll be sore...

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
In one set? I've got up to 40, that heart health threshold I linked in the heart health thread. Pretty bad form the last 3-4 though.

For Havoc, I feel your pain. My plan is simple. I write down everything I do. No DOMS? Next week up the reps. Slight DOMS keep it the same. Severe DOMS, dial it back. Last week I had no DOMS, so yesterday I dialed it up, and today I'm really sore and the SURF IS UP. Being sore and trying to surf sucks bugly. So this week (I try to do the barbell on Fridays because I try not to surf on weekends) I will dial it back ...

Tomorrow first surf on a new board in decent (I hope ) waves and I'll be sore...
ya same boat. in past tried to train on fridays as i dont surge weekends. just got a gold's gym membership on top of a home gym so i can do more accessory work instead of the big 4 lifts. what im realizing is at this point, st is better than nothing. i'd rather surf and train in the off-season or when the surf is down. it does suck for strenf gains as i made the most during lockdown with no surf.

nobody has surf 3+ days a week and kept up a strength training program. i've asked everyone and you basically can't do both at any decent level.

• Sad
Reactions: One-Off and Chocki

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.

Not in one set. Do them to exhaustion take a quick break and start again keeping heart rate up. Sets of 10 at the end.

Our last solid swell a week ago I didn't think the surf was going to be as good as it turned out to be and the night before I put in a long hard workout at the gym. Was totally gassed the next day when the waves were firing. Really put a damper on my session. Lesson learned.

Reactions: One-Off

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
This week no running, no strength training. Just surfing. I’m not complaining. Well, maybe a little. Shoulder and neck were throbbing in pain last night. One advil knocked that down though. Forecast is for one more day of decent surf.

After another session I expect my should/neck to be pretty bad. Do I do my regularly scheduled barbell on Friday? What say ye strong men?

Reactions: Havoc

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
To lift or not to lift that is the question...

I'm going to ask again. So four days in row of good surf. Yesterday on a couple where I ducked into tubes my low back started cramping (quick sharp spasms). Same feeling that precipated 1 year of rehab. So after the second spasm, in a little shorebreak tube, I was out of there. Not going down that road again.

The back doesn't stay sore but my shoulder/neck stays really sore.

So do I do my weight training? I do overhead presses and barbell rows and they've never cause any joint pain. Same with squats and deadlifts. I got sore hamstrings but no jont pain or back pain.

Last edited:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
It’s probably your levator. Skip the OHP or just work within your pain free ROM

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach

You should be leaving your workouts feeling invigorated and like you have more in the tank, not depleted. Also good to not go to failure most of the time and finish your sets feeling like you could 1-2 more reps. The "you should be sore for days" and "take all sets to failure" is 80-90s era bro science that needs to die already.

nobody has surf 3+ days a week and kept up a strength training program. i've asked everyone and you basically can't do both at any decent level.
You could always do 1-2 full body workouts focusing on the big 4-6. You won't progress with your lifts but you could certainly maintain. Looks like you mentioned that a few posts back :beer:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
It’s probably your levator. Skip the OHP or just work within your pain free ROM
Thanks.

In trying to self diagnose I was suspecting the trapezius. The levator ends at the shoulder blade. The trap ends on top of the shoulder, which is the path of my pain- from the back of the neck, across the top of the shoulder and ending in the head of the humerous (only left side). Originally I was thinking shoulder impingement or rotator cuff, however I went through the below linked exam and had no significant pain. So I think the pain is more neck related.

When I surf I have to consciously avoid doing the instinctive head flick after a duck dive.

Not much online in the way of neck exercises. They're all stretches.

ps I figure, what the hell, go ahead and do the barbell work today. If it makes it worse, lesson learned...

pps I could wait until tomorrow but when (if) I get DOMS it usually lasts two days and Monday surf is back up. Fook me, I'm living Havoc's dilemma.

Last edited:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
You should be leaving your workouts feeling invigorated and like you have more in the tank, not depleted. Also good to not go to failure most of the time and finish your sets feeling like you could 1-2 more reps. The "you should be sore for days" and "take all sets to failure" is 80-90s era bro science that needs to die already.
I guess, coming from distance running I have a certain mindset. You do a long run and you're exhausted.

I've learned that I must not overdo my squats even though I feel I have MUCH more in the tank....or I will pay the price with hamstring DOMS for at least two days.

Reactions: grapedrink

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Thanks.

In trying to self diagnose I was suspecting the trapezius. The levator ends at the shoulder blade. The trap ends on top of the shoulder, which is the path of my pain- from the back of the neck, across the top of the shoulder and ending in the head of the humerous (only left side). Originally I was thinking shoulder impingement or rotator cuff, however I went through the below linked exam and had no significant pain. So I think the pain is more neck related.

When I surf I have to consciously avoid doing the instinctive head flick after a duck dive.

Not much online in the way of neck exercises.

ps I figure, what the hell, go ahead and do the barbell work today. If it makes it worse, lesson learned...
I wouldn't worry about some orthopedic cause of the pain. You're probably right about the trap.

Do some head circles, shoulder circles, drink more water, and forget about it.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I guess, coming from distance running I have a certain mindset. You do a long run and you're exhausted.
For sure. While there is some overlap, cardio and strength training place a different kind of stress on the body. Muscles don't get strong from the "callusing" effect of tearing fibers and building them back over. Strength is an adaptation to a stimulus.

Reactions: One-Off

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Strength training to the rescue...again.

I should get some heavier dumbells.

Yup.

And I have found this to be worth the money. And they ain't that cheap.

Iron Neck Training | Neck Exercise Machine & Strengthening Equipment (iron-neck.com)

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
I would consider my neck to be fairly suspect re full neck bridging. Not a good idea anymore. IMHO.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I would consider my neck to be fairly suspect re full neck bridging. Not a good idea anymore. IMHO.
Gnarly wrestling style bridging agreed but something told me Max had an alternative and of course he did because he’s one of the smartest dudes I’ve ever met.

Last edited: