Poast your strenf training program

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I like the Time Crunch template for cruising along. Generally when I'm focused on doing other things and running a recovery or maintenance phase I will Squat and DL reps of 3-5 @ RPE7ish and do 20 reps of back off in rep ranges of 4 to 5 at around 68-72% of 1RM. I'll mix in a day of pulling....like rows or pendalay in the 10-12 rep range at rep 7-8 and like a high bar of SSB in the 8-10 rep range...usually a set of RPE 8 followed by 2-3 back off sets -5%.
Do you mean this?

Seems like I could keep running the 4-week portion until I want to pivot back at the end of the summer or fall.

averagejoe

Miki Dora status
May 28, 2008
So far away
www.mardawg.com
I think the LBBS gives you extra hip development and drive. Your posterior ends up looking like a rhinoceros' though.

I don't find anything harder than squatting. The bar is trying to crush you. Mentally, it's so much easier to pull. Also you never see anyone doing this after a pull:
a little leakage here but nothing too bad;
I see all kinds of guys fainting after heavy deadlifts on instagram and reddit

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
I see all kinds of guys fainting after heavy deadlifts on instagram and reddit
It's never happened to me but there is a feeling after a heavy deadlift...not really a light headedness but just this fog. I get it after a heavy bench sometimes but never after squatting heavy. Maybe because the bench you get up from lying down while the squat you're already standing up at the conclusion of the exercise.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I decided to stick with the Bridge again and emphasize RPE rather than the numbers. TBH, I don't care if I get that much stronger so strength can take a back burner to other activities, which is how you said I should view strength training anyways.

Time really isn't my big limiter.

I've been counting my calories and walking 10 min after each meal. Fat loss is going really fast.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
I decided to stick with the Bridge again and emphasize RPE rather than the numbers. TBH, I don't care if I get that much stronger so strength can take a back burner to other activities, which is how you said I should view strength training anyways.

Time really isn't my big limiter.

I've been counting my calories and walking 10 min after each meal. Fat loss is going really fast.
If I focus on one thing for too long I get burned out. The long view works for me.

People always overestimate what they can achieve in one year and under estimate what they can achieve in 10.

Reactions: PRCD

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
If I focus on one thing for too long I get burned out. The long view works for me.

People always overestimate what they can achieve in one year and under estimate what they can achieve in 10.
How is your latest program going? Could you describe it a bit more, how you found it, and the rationale?

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
How is your latest program going? Could you describe it a bit more, how you found it, and the rationale?
I have a coach I work with. We monitor progress and make adjustments in 6-8 week increments. Right now....

Day1 is LBBS 1x5@RPE8 5X4@72% on e1RM which is calculated off the 1x5@8.
Bench 1x5@8 followed by 6x4@72%
pause deadlift 1x3@rpe8 followed by 2 or 3 sets of the same.

Day 2 Pause Squat 1x3@8 3x3@80%
Press 1x5@RPE 8 followed by same weight 5 sets of 2
3 set of weighted pushups @ 12 reps @ 7-8

Day 3 Deadlift 1x5@RPE8 followed by 4x4@72%
2" board press 1x3@8 followed by 3x5@78%
Safety Squat Bar Split Squats 3x10@rpe7-8

I also get in an hour of mildly annoying aerobic exercise per week at a pace that makes having a conversation a pain in the ass and one session of 20sec full out 100 sec rest anaerobic per week...Always on the Rogue Echo Bike.

Also weekly random time for pull ups, bicep and tricep work.

The reps will go down as time progresses and if all goes well I should hit a week of max heavy singles in Jun/July.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I have a coach I work with. We monitor progress and make adjustments in 6-8 week increments. Right now....

Day1 is LBBS 1x5@RPE8 5X4@72% on e1RM which is calculated off the 1x5@8.
Bench 1x5@8 followed by 6x4@72%
pause deadlift 1x3@rpe8 followed by 2 or 3 sets of the same.

Day 2 Pause Squat 1x3@8 3x3@80%
Press 1x5@RPE 8 followed by same weight 5 sets of 2
3 set of weighted pushups @ 12 reps @ 7-8

Day 3 Deadlift 1x5@RPE8 followed by 4x4@72%
2" board press 1x3@8 followed by 3x5@78%
Safety Squat Bar Split Squats 3x10@rpe7-8

I also get in an hour of mildly annoying aerobic exercise per week at a pace that makes having a conversation a pain in the ass and one session of 20sec full out 100 sec rest anaerobic per week...Always on the Rogue Echo Bike.

Also weekly random time for pull ups, bicep and tricep work.

The reps will go down as time progresses and if all goes well I should hit a week of max heavy singles in Jun/July.
That's basically the same as what you were doing before, right? Is your coach from BBM?

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Great podcast. Wish these guys were around when I started. A lot of strength and conditioning coaches should probably be out of business:

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Yeah, a number of years back the kid up the street married his girlfriend and invited the whole block to his wedding. The older men pulled new-boi aside and starting hazing him with old-married stories and tequila. I kept shaming him into taking one more shot with us. Kid is 6'5" 250 lbs and strong as an ox. There's video of him attempting to carry her over the threshold. Only it was way worse. He dropped her on her head. It was the first thing that hit. It's been almost 20 years since then. His wife still won't talk to me. :roflmao:

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Moved from 3 to 4 days and am feeling much better as well as seeing more gains

Any reason not to do 5 or even 6 days?

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Moved from 3 to 4 days and am feeling much better as well as seeing more gains

Any reason not to do 5 or even 6 days?
Impossible to say without seeing what you're doing. If the other days are assistance and the lifts don't tax your recovery too much, try it if you're lifting for hypertrophy. Strenf, not so much.

And these guys look like the kind of people that would drown in 3 foot Zuma while swimming drunkenly in their jeans.
I get it, man. In the several dozen ocean rescues I made, I never rescued a bodybuilder so they seem to know their limitations. Seems to be the real weaklings who are the most overconfident, especially when they drink. I might kill you in an ocean swim (surfers don't seem to swim too good) but I'm a total coward in big waves like you're probably good at surfing. Like Dirty Harry said, "A man's gotta know his limitations."

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I get it, man. In the several dozen ocean rescues I made, I never rescued a bodybuilder so they seem to know their limitations. Seems to be the real weaklings who are the most overconfident, especially when they drink. I might kill you in an ocean swim (surfers don't seem to swim too good) but I'm a total coward in big waves like you're probably good at surfing. Like Dirty Harry said, "A man's gotta know his limitations."
I remember reading about Eddie Aikau lifeguarding at Waimea. He said the the worst were military on leave. The ocean will see your hubris and raise you.

Reactions: Ifallalot and PRCD