PNW bound!

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
So, I bothered you all about becoming a teacher, and now I will bother you all even more!

The move is on! I'm going to be attending Lewis and Clark in Portland for my degree, living in Tigard. The family is excited/nervous/... all of the above about the move! Would be stocked to hear any advice about anything OR related. My inlaws live in Bend for half the year, so we have some family relatively close. The program will be intense and take a lot of my time, but there is always time for fun.

My snowboarding gear is old and tired, my 4/3 from my days in San Francisco will probably not cut it, my camp gear is geared for Hawaii... The plan is to come back to HI after the year, but a year is a long time, and who knows? Probably will depend on the employment situation for me and the wifey.

Also, any of you PNW erbbers have a daughter (5 yr old) that needs playdates, hit me up!

Mahalos!

Reactions: kawika

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Congrats Harry and good luck!

If you read over Aruka's session reports I'm sure you will want to find him :wave2:

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Q_Surf will show you all the breaks, be your most excellent fly-fishing guide and lead you to all the local pow staches if you take him to AK on an annual heli trip.

Best of luck, the PNW is a very very beautiful place. I can't imagine not being happy there.

surf cat

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jan 14, 2002
:shrug: I scored a copy of "The Haole Substitute" for you.... shoot me an mailing address if you need a good laugh :roflmao:

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
1) Tigard, huh. I wonder if the Hi Hat is still in operation. Woowhee, what a meatmarket that place was for this kid with a fake ID.
2) I used to swim in the outdoor pool at LewisN'Clark as a kid before I graduated to swimming across the river at George Rogers State park (which is probably less of a dumpy miserable beach that it used to be, but probably still is...whic is why we swam across the river to jump off the "cliff" on the other side)
3) I think the college took over the grounds of the convent that was nearby...what a lovely view from the back lawn there.
4) Embrace the rain, don't hide from...just take a warm shower/bath when you get hime and you're good. But if you do want to hide, books and beer (or coffee) abound!
5) Trails in the Gorge. On hot days, swim in certain waterfalls.
6) Trails at the shore.
7) Portland is sprawling like San Jose is...all those childhood orchards and berry fields are now further out or gone completely

bloomies

Kelly Slater status
Sep 27, 2008
Get a 5/4 hooded, prolly super cheap in Hawaii right now as the winter ends. Don't throw away the 4/3 tho' as you can use it when the upwelling effect is not in play. You'll need booties too, gloves are a pia but most use them I don't and it'll depend on your tolerance. Bring a longboard for the 2-'3' gutless days that abound in summer, or float like a buoy.....

From where you're living, most of your sessions will be between Newport and north to the Point That Must Not Be Named.... Fall can be stunning for it's blend of the best things about the PNW.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
You'll be about 1.5 hours from the coast and the same distance from Mt. Hood. Plenty of people make the drive to surf on the weekends. The vibes are not always super aloha at the better spots but if you're rolling solo and keep it chill it's usually okay.

4/3 is not enough rubber for me but my crazy friend from Kauai wears one with no hood or gloves and somehow handles.

I'd look into a bike of some sort since it's a pretty good city for that with lots of paths along the river and such. I was just up there a couple days ago and I mobbed all over on my longboard skate and had a blast. Sucks to say but if I lived in or around Portland I would probably not surf much and just get more into skating or mountain biking or something that I could do regularly. The snowboarding is pretty good too and it's nice to know you're going to get something at the end of a 1.5 hour drive.

Hope all goes well for you.

warble2

Gerry Lopez status
May 5, 2008
When do you arrive? Count me in for a beer and playdate. My 4.5 year old girl would love to make a new friend. We're on the coast but spend spend plenty of time in Portland throughout the year. Shoot me a PM once you get settled and I'll drag my wife to another awkward internet meeting. We've met some fairly normal and cool people through the erBB, please don't f up the streak. HA!

Good Weather Activities You and the Family May Enjoy:
1. Portland Saturday Market
2. Berry/fruit Picking in North Plains or Sauvie Island
3. Mountain Biking single track (http://www.mtbproject.com/directory/166654/portland
4. Public Fountains on the Willamette waterfront
5. Hillsboro Hops minor league baseball game (count me in)

Rainy Day Activities You and the Family May Enjoy:
1. Catch a movie and beers at McMenimans (Kennedy School or Mission theater)
2. Powell's Books
3. Oaks Park
4. OMSI
5. Blazers

In the Portland area, check out Gorge Performance or US Outdoor for any surf/snow needs. Uwajimaya in Beaverton has all of the grocery items you may be missing from the islands once you're here.

Congrats on the move!

Reactions: Mr Doof

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Just don't **** in a water reservoir. The idiots think that less than a quart of human urine can somehow pollute 85 million gallons of water.