Pliny the Younger

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I dig the recommendation for Simtra and Knee Deep Brewery out of Auburn in this thread. I would agree that they’re better than the Plinys. Hoptologist is solid. Those are the kind of beers you drink at home when you don’t have to work the next day :poop:

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
Pliney the elder and younger is Russian River. The elder tastes like drinking a pine cone. I haven't tried the younger it's only available at the brew pub when its in season. Your lucky to try it. If the Pliny you tried wasn't direct from the brewery tap, it's likely you had the Elder since I don't think they bottle the Younger. Maybe this restaurant was selling Sierra Nevada claiming it was Pliny the Younger to triple price?

• Haha
Reactions: rts265

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC
Funny, I thought Sierra Nevada tasted like pine bathroom spray.
I liked the elder, wouldn't wait in line for more than 5 minutes

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Pliney the elder and younger is Russian River. The elder tastes like drinking a pine cone. I haven't tried the younger it's only available at the brew pub when its in season. Your lucky to try it. If the Pliny you tried wasn't direct from the brewery tap, it's likely you had the Elder since I don't think they bottle the Younger. Maybe this restaurant was selling Sierra Nevada claiming it was Pliny the Younger to triple price?
There are some kegs of younger that have been quietly distributed to select bars and taprooms over the years. You are most likely only drinking the younger from a tap in February, because it will sell out, while Elder has year round production and distribution.

This was the first year that the Younger was bottled. In the early years RRBC sold growlers, but the owners found out that they were being scalped on Craig’s List for big bucks, hence then no bottle policy (until this year).

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
With their new facility in Windsor, RR is making a lot more beer. Pliny, supplication, etc aren't rarities the store shelves anymore, at least around here, and Younger is pretty easy to find (for example, search the hashtag on instagram). Last year people were waiting in line with tents and umbrellas in the rain when I drove by Lama Dog in SB. 2 hours later I drove by and the place was practically empty, got a "ticket" and sure was happy I never waited in one of those lines.

Re: Knee deep, their old brewer started Revision in Reno/Sparks and his stuff is really good if you're into the hop thing. I'm still liking a good pilsner, or a stout if I'm at home and want something to sip on for an hour (Parabola from Firestone).

Reactions: grapedrink

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I drank them back to back to be fair so not the best comparison. Pliny first. First drink of Sierra I was like yeah that Pliny wasn’t worth the $12 or whatever I paid.
Where did you pay $12 for a Pliny? That's straight rape. A bottle has always been just over $5 at the brewery and slightly higher wherever I've seen it, even on tap. I'm pretty sure the brewery 86's places that do that.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
I like pliny but it's just an average good beer in San Diego IMO. In fact, for Nor Cal I'm surprised it gets so much attention as well.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Re: Knee deep, their old brewer started Revision in Reno/Sparks and his stuff is really good if you're into the hop thing. I'm still liking a good pilsner, or a stout if I'm at home and want something to sip on for an hour (Parabola from Firestone).
Nice I’ll look into that. Those types of beers are more Friday night while watching a movie kinda beers, not daily drinking. It’s getting tough to find a good APA or Pilsner daily drinker that tastes nice straight from the bottle. Seems like the selection now is either Murican swill or double IPA hop bombs, would be nice if there was more of a middle ground.

RemyXO

Michael Peterson status
Mar 12, 2003
San Luis Obispo
Nice I’ll look into that. Those types of beers are more Friday night while watching a movie kinda beers, not daily drinking. It’s getting tough to find a good APA or Pilsner daily drinker that tastes nice straight from the bottle. Seems like the selection now is either Murican swill or double IPA hop bombs, would be nice if there was more of a middle ground.
I like CCB's Monterey Street PA for that reason. Nice pale ale with some mellow hop. Goes down easy. <<insert pint throw back emoji here>>

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
I think Pliny gets so much attention because it was one of the first that went to the extreme with hoppyness.

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
My local hipster restaurant/pub got a keg of Pliny the Younger today. It sold out in 30mins. Bartender said it tasted very similar to the Elder except a triple IPA instead of double.