Playa Grande Costa Rica in July - advice?

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
Looking like a trip to Playa Grande w/the wife and kids is in the cards for July. Will be staying w/some local friends about a quarter mile N of the Tamarindo estuary. Despite all the places I've been to surf in my 54 years, I've never been to CR. Looks like good beginner waves for the family around where we're staying, then more juice the farther N you go? My 12/y/o son definitely wants to bring his shortboard. I figure I'll pack it with my Sweet Potato and then rent other boards/longboards as needed? Or should I try to also bring my 9'4" (Delta - so no crazy surfboard fees).Would welcome any and all advice - including car rental in Tamarindo for day trips.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Grande in my limited experience is a steeper wave with a propensity to close out, especially at low tide. Shortboard wave. Until you see a forecast; not sure what to do about boards. I rented a longboard in Tamarindo when I was there (99) but YMMV. The little left out front of Tamarindo seemed to suit it.

I mostly surfed Langosta in that immediate area, with some drives to Negra/Avellanes.

You might try bringing a fishing pole with you; not sure if there's any good options right around Grande, could be thumping surf you can't reach past with no structure, but the rocks between Langosta and Tamarindo could be worth some casts. Only caught jacks there myself but maybe some snappers and snooks on offer? Also, you might be able to convince some panga guy to take you just off the coast and you might be able to get into some bonito/false albacore. Those things fight like hell on light tackle. Maybe in addition to some spoons/jigs, some circle hooks, a couple sinkers, and a sabiki rig or three?

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
Grande in my limited experience is a steeper wave with a propensity to close out, especially at low tide. Shortboard wave. Until you see a forecast; not sure what to do about boards. I rented a longboard in Tamarindo when I was there (99) but YMMV. The little left out front of Tamarindo seemed to suit it.

I mostly surfed Langosta in that immediate area, with some drives to Negra/Avellanes.

You might try bringing a fishing pole with you; not sure if there's any good options right around Grande, could be thumping surf you can't reach past with no structure, but the rocks between Langosta and Tamarindo could be worth some casts. Only caught jacks there myself but maybe some snappers and snooks on offer? Also, you might be able to convince some panga guy to take you just off the coast and you might be able to get into some bonito/false albacore. Those things fight like hell on light tackle. Maybe in addition to some spoons/jigs, some circle hooks, a couple sinkers, and a sabiki rig or three?
Definitely will try to get some pescado's.
If it's like this, I'll be in heaven.

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

waxhead

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 31, 2009
You'll be staying in an amazing location. 1/4 mile north of the river is pretty pristine. Your right about the wave-it's pretty beginner friendly and your also right about moving north for bigger waves. I surfed a shorter board(considering my girth) there and got fun waves. LB would be fun too. Careful about the car rental. They will quote you a low price, then wack you on the insurance. Plenty of boards to rent in Tamarindo. If you like sushi, bamboo sushi in Tamarindo, or the wood fired pizza in front of the Diria hotel. Playa Avellanas, about 20 minutes drive south, is a must. Lola's bar is a great hang and plenty of peaks, bigger ones north of Lola's. Boat trip to Witches/Ollies is a haul, but worth it. Make sure there is swell, then get a boat with some shade.

Being an old dude, I like my comfort, so I stay at the Diria, and paddle across the river to where you'll be. There's crocs there, so make haste. Dude got his leg bit off there a few years back.

ThaDood

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2003
Playa Zen
Looking like a trip to Playa Grande w/the wife and kids is in the cards for July. Will be staying w/some local friends about a quarter mile N of the Tamarindo estuary. Despite all the places I've been to surf in my 54 years, I've never been to CR. Looks like good beginner waves for the family around where we're staying, then more juice the farther N you go? My 12/y/o son definitely wants to bring his shortboard. I figure I'll pack it with my Sweet Potato and then rent other boards/longboards as needed? Or should I try to also bring my 9'4" (Delta - so no crazy surfboard fees).Would welcome any and all advice - including car rental in Tamarindo for day trips.
if you are a 1/4 mile north of the estuary, I'm guessing you will be staying in Palm Beach Estates area? It tends to be a lot of closeouts there. There is the rivermouth but there are crocs so there's that. You'll want to try further north around Las Tortugas hotel. I'll be in CR 7-6 thru 7-19. (7-6 thru 7-13 in Negra/Avallanes 14 thru 19 in Grande)
I've ridden every length of board in Grande from a 6'10" quadfish, 7'6" Firewire Addvance, 7'10" McTavish, 8'6" custom shaped small log, 9'4" Takayama Slater, to a 9'6" Stewart Redline.
I always have a rental car reserved in Liberia, a car rental agent will meet you at the airport. But, there are car rentals in Tamarindo. There is also a water taxi that runs in the morning until 4pm to Tamarindo and back. If you are staying in Palm Beach Estates, you can walk to the hotel "The Grateful" and catch the water taxi. Ask the the people at the bar to call the water taxi (it used to be Hotel Bula Bula but it changed names) it used to cost about 1500 colones a person
Hotel Cantarana in PBE used to be a good place to eat. Don't know about now. El Huerto has really good pizza.
My favorite place for breakfast (gallo pinto, fried eggs, bacon and toast ) is Kike's (kee-kays). try it with the homemade hot sauce made by the owners wife called "Yannis" a little goes a long way but it's the t!ts.
Some July Grande swell a few years ago on my 8'6"pg2.jpg

Last edited:

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
Thanks for the wisdom and yeppers re Palm Beach estates. We have some friends who run the Hotel Manglar and have they have a house we are renting there. We'll be there the 6th to the 16th - so a little overlap in time fo sho. We're debating renting a car with AMEX to cover insurance vs having our friends simply get us sorted with a shuttle from LIB for a super reasonable price and renting a car in Tamarindo if needed. Stoked. Those waves look about perfect for the fam. Shoot me an email - ghostwavebook@gmail.com - and we can grab some waves and beers.

Reactions: ThaDood

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Thanks for the wisdom and yeppers re Palm Beach estates. We have some friends who run the Hotel Manglar and have they have a house we are renting there. We'll be there the 6th to the 16th - so a little overlap in time fo sho. We're debating renting a car with AMEX to cover insurance vs having our friends simply get us sorted with a shuttle from LIB for a super reasonable price and renting a car in Tamarindo if needed. Stoked. Those waves look about perfect for the fam. Shoot me an email - ghostwavebook@gmail.com - and we can grab some waves and beers.
dude they won't let you rent using the AMEX insurance- it's true- they give you a nice rosy quote, you think your AmEx will cover any insurance requirements (which it would in most countries) but in CR and Nica the gvt has a mandated insurance coverage that can literally triple the cost of your rental

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Yeah, I was aware of the 'triple price' thing. That's why I think we're only gonna rent from Tamarindo on days we really want a car. They do that to you in lots of places.
you have to let the hotel hook up the rental car for you. then you wont need to pay the gringo tax. I always ask the manager at the place i stay to call. she does the whole deal and i never pay the extra insurance thing.

ThaDood

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2003
Playa Zen
I drove over to palm beach estates today and surfed. Better than the main peaks around noon. had to be patient due to some close outs but I got a few edges. I’ll be there on the 14th. Try the food at Cafe Mar Azul. My friend Victor owns it.

E5D5221D-F61B-45F4-8A6E-4676D91D96E3.jpeg

Reactions: grapedrink

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
Sixt Rentacar at the Liberia airport was good to me. No hidden fees, you have to pay the mandatory third party liability insurance but you can waive the CDW for Visa/AMEX/etc coverage. They do take a hefty deposit, even for CC rentals, that gets returned when you bring the car back.

You don't really need a 4x4. I drove all the way to Pavones and back and there was nothing that even remotely tested our truck's capabilities except when we turned the 4x4 on early in the trip and intentionally found a patch of mud to literally test the truck's abilities. We did have high clearance and good tires, though.

That whole northern Guanacaste stretch blew out around 10-11am each day when I was there a couple weeks ago, but you'll get decent waves if you're hanging around.

Tamarindo is completely first world. Of course, so is most of the rest of CR. Have fun.

Reactions: grapedrink

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
We rented a little SUV from Vamos at LIR with all level of insurance, it was $800 for ten days. Not cheap, but we are completely covered w/no deductibles. Been having a great time. Except for one day, the surf has been too big for Playa Grande - mostly closeouts. So have been taking my son to surf Tamarindo and he's been having a good ol' time ripping amidst the learners. Might see thadood here at some point in the near future. Anyone been tubing on rio colorado or hiking the volcano trail at rio celeste? In short, any advice on good activity to take the kids on that ain't the beach and won't be baking hot in the vicinity of Nicoya penninsula?

Reactions: need 4 speed

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
We rented a little SUV from Vamos at LIR with all level of insurance, it was $800 for ten days. Not cheap, but we are completely covered w/no deductibles. Been having a great time. Except for one day, the surf has been too big for Playa Grande - mostly closeouts. So have been taking my son to surf Tamarindo and he's been having a good ol' time ripping amidst the learners. Might see thadood here at some point in the near future. Anyone been tubing on rio colorado or hiking the volcano trail at rio celeste? In short, any advice on good activity to take the kids on that ain't the beach and won't be baking hot in the vicinity of Nicoya penninsula?
How old are the kids?

https://diamanteecoadventurepark.com/

Diamonte Animal Sanctuary is pretty cool and worth a go. Only about an hour drive to the north of you up past Playa Flamingo and Playa Potrero.

1626111686571.png

Apr 5, 2004
Who did you get your travel insurance through?

We are coming at the end of the month and purchased the required travel insurance through a foreign company. It includes rental car insurance. We normally get the zero liability insurance when renting a car there but I was hoping to use the travel insurance after inquiring with the company who said it does the same.

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
not sure about the travel insurance requirement due to covid - but sounds like you guys payed the gringo tax when it came to the car rentals. nobody listens to turtle :foreheadslap::roflmao:

it usually costs me about 250-300 for 5 or 6 days for a rav4 or hyuandai tuscon 4 wheel drive.
I didn’t wanna have to worry about any deductible or anything. Any damage whatsoever and it’s covered. I coulda paid way less with vamos but opted not to.

Reactions: CutnSnip

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
Got some stellar waves in CR. Playa Grande was one big closeout part of the time we were there so Oneworlded Jr and I surfed in front of the rock at Tamarindo in addition to Casitas area around Playa Grande. Real fun and suprislingly uncrowded a-frame reforms at Tama were perfect for a grom. Took keenfish's advice and did Diamante Adventure Park. A very well run place with a pretty remarkable zoo and ziplines - which the kids loved. Food was great too. It was spendy but well worth it .Wildlife out in front of and above our casita: peccaries, howler monkeys (lots of em), parrots, coati's, iguanas, snakes, and very intelligent white throated magpie jays. Had a nice catchup with ThaDood at Cafe Mar Azul one night too -- Small OneWorld. All in all, a great little first world family adventure with numerous 'oh sh!t' moments when the 20-second sets rolled in.

1626623441154.jpeg
1626623644124.png

1626623558342.png

Last edited: