Plastic bags

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I was using the grocery bags twice (2nd time as household trash bags) and recycling the extras. Now I'm not using those bags, but I'm buying the heavier and more expensive plastic trash bags for the 1-time use.

Maybe there's a net environmental benefit in there, maybe there isn't. I'm certainly spending more because now I'm buying something (trash bags) that I used to get for "free".
That’s because you are a Trump rube. That makes surfboards.

Starting in 1964 I know I’ve gone through in excess of a hundred surfboards in my life. Wetsuits not as many because I hate fvckin cold water but throw those in the mix too. I wonder what the volume and weight of both the finished product and the waste in making it would add up to. Throw in snow skis and all the other associated toxic waste stuff that we all, or at least those of use that aren’t locked in our mom’s basement, love so much. Throw in golf balls for the elites.

Reactions: GDaddy

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
That’s because you are a Trump rube. That makes surfboards.

Starting in 1964 I know I’ve gone through in excess of a hundred surfboards in my life. Wetsuits not as many because I hate fvckin cold water but throw those in the mix too. I wonder what the volume and weight of both the finished product and the waste in making it would add up to. Throw in snow skis and all the other associated toxic waste stuff that we all, or at least those of use that aren’t locked in our mom’s basement, love so much. Throw in golf balls for the elites.

Still hung up on all or nothing?

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Still hung up on all or nothing?
When have I been? After you’ve had that vaginitis hemorrhaging attended to see if you can find one of my posts where I imply that. I’d bet you a sixpack of beer you can’t but you’re a known welcher.

What I have stated is that we know everything that comes in and where it ends up. There is very little that leaves here to end up somewhere else other than the recycling place. I’m not the one wringing my hands over plastic bags from the store. You know that the trasheros come by and pick up what you throw out. Maybe where they take it. Like taking sandwiches to the occupy movement twits. Hang in there big guy!

When I mentioned the surfboard deal I didn’t really have you in mind. Sorry.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Confession: I just went to the grocery store and I'm ashamed at how dirty my canvas bag is. Going in the wash with the rags tonight.

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC
So anyway.....
with the new bigger & thicker (dont get excited fecal) .....bags
I don't believe there is less plastic being thrown away, tbh I thought this was going to be a complete ban on plastic bags
not just .10 for a bigger plastic bag
It's all about money in the name of saving the world

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
So anyway.....
with the new bigger & thicker (dont get excited fecal) .....bags
I don't believe there is less plastic being thrown away, tbh I thought this was going to be a complete ban on plastic bags
not just .10 for a bigger plastic bag
It's all about money in the name of saving the world
There's more plastic being thrown away

And clutter

• Haha
Reactions: FecalFace

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
What seems like 100 years ago, I had a project on the Paraguana Peninsula in Venezuela. Flat, scrub, wild burros, etc. I have never, ever seen so many plastic bags hung up on dead vegetation, almost looked like snow covered the landscape. One of the ex-pats told me the plastic bag is the Venezuelan national flower...

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
you said there's more plastic being thrown away

bags were banned here...you can buy paper bags, but
there are no more plastic bag options; it's a city-by-city
thing at this point, I believe, so this may not hold true
everywhere.

I would wager that less plastic bags are being discarded.

Reactions: FecalFace

Lance Mannion

Duke status
Mar 7, 2009
In Gods Country
What seems like 100 years ago, I had a project on the Paraguana Peninsula in Venezuela. Flat, scrub, wild burros, etc. I have never, ever seen so many plastic bags hung up on dead vegetation, almost looked like snow covered the landscape. One of the ex-pats told me the plastic bag is the Venezuelan national flower...
That reminds of Sicily, except substitute Fiats for plastic bags.

• Haha
Reactions: john4surf

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
As far as the thicker plastic bags go (i.e., the ones you get from Target and such), I believe I have recycled one of them at least 100 times. Large enough to carry my shoes (no small feat), change of clothes, water, towel, wetsuit, etc. Use it to hold my sh*t for gym, surfing, etc. Just flip it in inside out to dry as needed.

As an aside, I actually tried to go the surf backpack route - waterproof barrier broke right through on first use. Laughably useless. Glad I could return it no questions asked. The same plastic bag is still going strong.

The thin plastic bags get reused as trashcan liners. Depending on contents of trash can, those do get reused at least a couple cycles.